Trump, DA’s Office Make Their Closing Arguments To The Jury - TPM – Talking Points Memo

:blush: Thanks. From you, that means a lot to me.

6 Likes

Here he is - sucking up all of the oxygen in the news. I think I will quit reading the blow by blow because it all just leaves me feeling like I’ve got long COVID - like 9 years long and counting.

9 Likes

Harry Litman

@harrylitman

So hanging his hat at least initially on idea that the 34 pieces of paper are not false. Going to make it harder to emphasize Trump’s intent. Permissible of course to have different theories of reas doubt, but a mist-mosh of logically inconsistent theories won’t win the jury.

7:11 AM · May 28, 2024

·

Views

14 Likes

Blanche could’ve called Don & Eric and cleared the whole thing up. He didn’t. They both signed checks to Cohen.

BLANCHE: Guess who else you didn’t hear from in this trial? Don and Eric! Is there some sort of suggestion that they are part of this scheme?

24 Likes

Litman:

Westerhout testified Trump sometimes looked at checks and invoices, but sometimes he didn’t. He’s President and running the country. Sometime 1/2" stack of checks. “You can’t convict Trump b/c sometimes [he] looked at invoices.”

He’s characterized 7 or 8 pieces of testimony or evidence as “reasonable doubt,” ie pitch to jury is any discrepancy or bad stitch in tapestry of prosecution case is itself justification to vote to acquit.

The scheme: “to book a legal expense as … a legal expense.” that’s absurd.

5 Likes

Blanche reminds the jury of Trump’s power while in office.

He says that the “case is about documents, it’s a paper case,” and adds that it’s about whether Trump was at all involved in the payments to Cohen while living in the White House “as leader of the free world.”

===
I hope every one of those jurors was able to see and digest what a toxic scumbag Chump is, and the toxic scum he wallowed in his whole life…and he brought that to the Oval Office and defiled the place. And hope they are repulsed by the fact he was ever given any power of any kind…let alone the lofty office of POTUS. There was a ton of really nasty stuff revealed in testimony…they cannot divorce that from the office he held and befouled. I don’t think it is going to help, Blanche, to remind them of the awesome power of the office.

27 Likes

Yep, I would guess Merchan would send them back at least twice and tell them to find a verdict. Perhaps up to three times.

8 Likes

They already said it was a repayment in another court case, is his attorney accusing trump of a crime in that case?

2 Likes

Probably the majority will see that quite plainly - but it only takes one.

5 Likes

We also didn’t hear from Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. Clearly, the jury must acquit. /s

15 Likes

Specifically, the one who gets his news from Truth Social.

3 Likes

Harry Litman:

Cohen’s story: talk to Weisselberg then strolled w/o appointment into Oval Office, and Weisselberg made the deal there. Zero corroboration. And that’s the evidence, all of it, that Cohen gave you about this supposedly illegal scheme.
This a more effective line of argument.

5 Likes

Costello’s contemptuous behavior was in front of the jury, but Merchan cleared the court before dressing him down. I think that might be an important point.

16 Likes

Harry Litman

@harrylitman

McConney’s notes of $420 says “x 2 for taxes” if this was evidence of a crime, why did McConney keep the papers around in his cabinet. [that’s pretty obvious : CYA]

12 Likes

It shines like a beacon for the Great Unwashed Masses who support Trump.

9 Likes

The Orange Turd is a two-legged stool

Acyn
@Acyn
Trump gets confused while reading Turley: If any three-legged stool is
missing and any leg is missing, the stool absolute collapses

6 Likes

Everybody wave to Robert DeNiro.
:rofl:

3 Likes

IIRC, that juror said he had seen TruthSocial posts re-posted on other media, not that he was a subscriber.

7 Likes

Wait a minute - wasn’t it the Defense’s responsibility to call witnesses that could attest to the defendant’s story?

How is this the prosecution’s fault and damaging to their case? Were Tweedledum and Tweedledummer denied an opportunity to testify at the outset of the case?

12 Likes

Yes, but not required, IIRC

4 Likes