Trump Claims He Has Every Right To Prosecute His Enemies

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo. Sign up for the email version.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1491813
1 Like

Jobs report May 2024: U.S. job gains totaled 272,000 in May (cnbc.com)

U.S. adds a much-better-than-expected 272,000 jobs in May, but unemployment rate edges up to 4%

47 Likes

Republican Congressman Byron Donalds of FL was on Joy Reid’s MSNBC show for an interview about his recent remarks about the Jim Crow Era

Bet he never goes back on Joys show
https://youtu.be/NrB0DEJfMTs

55 Likes

Compare that scene between Zelenskyy and the DDay vet with this:

Sunak was forced to apologise after the ITV presenter Paul Brand confirmed on News at Ten that the prime minister had returned from Normandy to speak to him. Brand said ITV was interviewing all of the party leaders and had been working to secure a date with Sunak for some time. “Today was the slot they offered us,” he said. "We don’t know why.”

58 Likes

He has “every right to go after them” but no one has a right to go after him. That’s some serious snowflake shit there. Trump has no right to “go after” anyone and there are checks in place to make sure he does not…but…if those checks are wearing MAGA hats he can pull it off.

Isn’t this called weaponization?

100 Likes

From the article:

The increase came even though the labor force participation rate decreased to 62.5%, down 0.2 percentage point. The survey of households used to compute the unemployment rate showed that the level of people who reported holding jobs fell by 408,000.

It’s weird how the jobs report counts the absolute number of jobs created/lost in a month, but the unemployment rate counts employed/unemployed people in households–that means that at certain times, like this one, they will appear to be out of sync.

38 Likes

How Larry the Number 10 Cat saw it –

"Let go of me old man; I'll be late for my interview with ITV" pic.twitter.com/s3tez3AujS

— Larry the Cat (@Number10cat) June 7, 2024

60 Likes

Merde head.

31 Likes

Joy didn’t bake him to a delicate crunch. She deep fried him to a crackly crunch.

55 Likes

In his inauguration speech - he will announce the opening of internment camps for those who have offended him - via real or imagined insults!

26 Likes

Squishy Rishi

22 Likes

Why do certain politicians forget that actions have consequences?

18 Likes

A GOP Election Clerk v. MAGA In A World Of Lies

An exceptional NYT piece on the plight of Cindy Elgan, the Republican election official in Esmeralda County, Nevada, who faced a recall attempt – in a county that went 82% for Trump in 2020 – because some conspiracy-minded residents thought he should have won by a larger margin.

My county actually had a hand recount in January 2022, because the MAGA crowd couldn’t believe that anyone voted for Biden in 2020.

Of course, the hand recount showed no change in the vote totals.

93 Likes

I’ve been astounded by just how removed from the British people Sunak seems to be, and for reasons, I hasten to add, that have nothing to do with his ethnicity.

29 Likes

And another bit of happy news–Alex Jones is forced to liquidate under chapter 7.

106 Likes

“My enemies are prosecuting me for political reasons, which is such an unprecedented outrage that I promise when I get into office that I will prosecute my enemies for political reasons even more egregiously and ruthlessly!”

And of course, his enemies aren’t prosecuting him for political reasons. It’s pure unadulterated projection. Our national media: “Today, Trump promised to gouge out the eyes of his enemies. Democrats and some legal experts said the constitution did not give the President such a right.”

Bizzaro world every day.

54 Likes

Stick a fork in him. He’s done.

30 Likes

"Are you a communist?"
"No, I am an anti-fascist."
"For a long time?"
"Since I have understood fascism."

– Ernest Hemingway, "For Whom the Bell Tolls"

81 Likes

Zelenskyy and Jake Larson are both beacons of light in an ever darkening world. I am inspired by their words and their deeds.

53 Likes

Morning Memo: Trump Claims He Has Every Right To Prosecute His Enemies

Only if they had broken the law donnie boy … like you did
Three more indictments you gotta deal with ya fuckin’ FELON. You know about breaking laws do’cha donnie boy.

38 Likes