Trump, Biden Face Off At First Presidential Debate Of 2020 | Talking Points Memo

President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden are set to face off in their first of three scheduled presidential debates on Tuesday at 9 p.m. Eastern Time. Fox News’ Chris Wallace will moderate, and the debate is scheduled to go until 10:30 p.m. ET, commercial-free.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1335130

I hope they talk about the absolute havoc inflicted on low-end service workers. This is especially relevant in the US, which has a large share of GDP generated by consumption and relatively low investment in fixed capital. For example, Disney just announced this. These were not great jobs, but they were jobs at least.

18 Likes

Please please please donate. Rev Warnock is running against Kelly Loeffler.

21 Likes

https://abc7.com/man-accused-of-driving-into-pasadena-protesters-had-set-up-training-camp-complaint-alleges-/6639718/

A San Marino man accused of driving a truck loaded with weapons into a crowd of protesters in Pasadena in May was turning his family’s vineyard into a “training camp” to prepare “to engage in civil disorder,” federal authorities allege.

Benjamin Jong Ren Hung, 28, is charged with conspiring to transport firearms across state lines and to make a false statement in acquisition of firearms. A judge on Monday decided to keep him detained without bail and Hung will not be released from federal custody.

Hung allegedly drove his white Dodge Ram adorned with flags associated with far-right extremist groups at the crowd of about 150 protesters in Pasadena who had been chanting “Black lives matter here” on May 31, federal agents allege in a complaint filed in Los Angeles federal court.

21 Likes

All fired up and ready to go?

Done!

18 Likes

So, three hours. Anyone read any good books lately?

18 Likes

I have two campaign Zoom calls before the Debate. A busy bee these days.

7 Likes
18 Likes

“With all due respect, that’s a bunch of malarkey.”@truth
is a joint project of @joebiden and@DNCwarroom

21 Likes

Some wisdom for Biden to remember:

"Arguing with Trump is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. ***
*** Soon you realize that the Pig enjoys it."

Screw Trump - - - Say your peace Joe and let Donald make a fool of himself, in the mud.

8 Likes

President Trump is planning to bring a woman he pardoned right after she spoke in support of him at the Republican National Convention and an Ultimate Fighting Champion performer as guests to the first debate, officials said.

I stand corrected. I said earlier that Trump was preparing for a WWF grudge match.

7 Likes

McConnell’s just letting his freak flag fly. No yucky girls allowed in the Power Club!

15 Likes

This film is free online until Sep 30. Highly recommend.

And here’s the book:

2 Likes

My wife and I are literally making popcorn tonight. We realized we had not had any since we went to the theater pre-pandemic and saw The Invisible Man.

Fresh popcorn is one of the top 10 smells in my universe, right up there with coffee brewing and bacon frying.

19 Likes

Wow, they really did face off already. That was quick.

23 Likes

Ooh, good idea! I’ve still got some popcorn I can make. Early on in the shutdown it was the only junk food I had around, but recently I’ve slacked off.

5 Likes

In some ways, light fare but also good historical novel about fascism from someone who experienced it first hand.

4 Likes

Also this, which I’ve only gotten about 100 pages into that is quite topical.

2 Likes

He is on my list for next wave donations!

4 Likes

On page 101 is introduced the notion of the insula, the part of the brain that provides “consciousness, emotion, perception, self-awareness, and being able to connect to other people” … but also “hallucinations,” so …

You could say that, sure.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available