Trump Allies Scramble To Clean Up Racist Mess

When President Donald Trump fired off his racist tweets about Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), Ilhan Omar (D-MN) and Ayanna Pressley (D-MA), he sent Trumpworld and the GOP into a tailspin.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1236880

“The most emotional and primitive person in the room commands the most attention.”

30 Likes

Unnamed staffer huh? Consider this story fiction. This isn’t news.

8 Likes

Trump likes to attack people who apologize. He sees apology as weakness, and only under the most dire circumstances would he consider it himself (and in such a case, we can expect the most mealy mouthed apology every composed). Instead, he just makes his case worse and worse, and for the most part, he gets away with it. (Let us hope that in 2020, he fails to get away with it.)

23 Likes

It’s not Trump.

It is the social structure created especially for Trump. There are nations in which Trump could not do what he is doing, even if he were twice as crazy.

We spend not enough time and energy on the GOP and people like Graham.

The title of this article contains the problem. “Trump Allies”… The most detestable individual in politics has “allies”.

Think about that.

45 Likes

The GOP only sees an unmanageable president and worries about the optics and possible workarounds. They are seemingly oblivious to the damage, which they are complicit in, being done to the country and the rest of us, every second, every hour, every day.

43 Likes

These are absolute textbook examples of a fascist autocracy. This is Hitler in 1943, when it all started to come apart.

25 Likes

“You put your head up, and you get it cut off,” an unnamed staffer involved with fundraising for Trump’s reelection campaign told the Post.

After almost 2 years of this (more if you count the 2016 campaign), those who actually go out there and try to explain Trump’s tweets and words deserve to get their heads cut off.

26 Likes

“Well, he always doubles down,” Graham told the Post. “Then he adjusts.”

Actually, Goober meant to say, “Then I adjust”.

40 Likes

The Washington Post Story, about my speech in North Carolina and tweet, with its phony sources who do not exist, is Fake News. The only thing people were talking about is the record setting crowd and the tremendous enthusiasm, far greater than the Democrats. You’ll see in 2020!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 21, 2019

Everything is fake, except the world in his own imagination.

It’s also very revealing that the people around him with somewhat better judgement cower in fear of this thing, and dare not say anything to alter his behavior. They would if they could survive.

Heh-heh…i guess the White House really is an island now.

12 Likes

Geeze, @kelaine! It’s almost as if you’re calling for a revolution!

2 Likes

You’re right about the repugnicans.

The thing is, to them and theirs, “the damage” is not a problem:

it’s a feature.

9 Likes

It seems to me that the damage is the plan. They’ll be in control, so everything’s fine.

15 Likes

An anonymous source means the story isn’t true? That’s what Trump says. Just saying. The Post wouldn’t use anyone but a trusted source in a position to know what he or she is talking about, and they’d get confirmation, and all this is saying is you get punished in Trumpworld for suggesting to the boss that he not do crazy shit. So why you’d push back against this is an interesting question.

25 Likes

Trump has to double, or triple or more down.
His base ,or whatever keeps him President, are so fucking stupid he has to repeat the same thing over and over until they get it.

5 Likes

I’m afraid that one of the most misleading parts of this article is that Trump read the WaPo piece.
Since it came out Saturday, there has not been enough time for him to read it.
One of his flying monkeys (Miller?) probably saw the title and decided to issue the standard retort ‘fake news’. If Trumps skin were any thinner, it would only have one side!
He is a racist, plain and simple, and he knows it.
Shame on the GOP for not saying so.

12 Likes

@tsp. I’m of the opinion that the damage is “the cost of doing business”. It’s not so much planned, as an acceptable loss, which when figured into the profit margin, can then be casually ignored. Their only plan is to optimise personal gain and profit. To take this a step further, they also don’t accept, or they ignore, the contingent valuation of externalities. Not planning, ignorance.

11 Likes
5 Likes

I think you might have something askew, Republicans don’t see the damage as damage, they see their “more perfect union” being assembled (or disassembled to be rebuilt).

4 Likes

“You put your head up, and you get it cut off,” an unnamed staffer involved with fundraising for Trump’s reelection campaign told the Post. “And then everyone remembers you weren’t loyal when this blows over.”

Wow. Who wouldn’t want to be a disposable member of that kind of organization!

13 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available