Trump Admin Rolls Out New Rule To Restrict Legal Immigration

10 essential Douglas Sirk movies:

3 Likes

Sirk/Hunter, Rock Hudson as a hetero, Lana Turner as a virgin, it all blends together.

3 Likes

Excellent point. Look for a lot more people to seek abortions, including late term, of any fetus with potential medical abnormalities to avoid having to risk applying for Medicaid to care for a severely disabled child.

Women seeking abortions will surely have some of these problems down the road. It’s the people known as men who are making these rules.

3 Likes

Our government gives hundreds of billions to corporations, but mostly withholds previously allocated funding from cooperations.

1 Like

According to the rule, which was pushed by White House advisor Stephen Miller, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services agency will now weigh a legal immigrant’s potential use of public benefits when deciding whether or not to grant the immigrant a green card.

Well, are they at least going to be fair about it, and weigh their use (potential or otherwise) of public benefits against their contributions into funding them (e.g., through payroll and sales taxes)?

Don’t bother to answer my question. I already know the answer.

4 Likes

I agree. That — and the relative economic per capita decline of the US standard of living — are the real reasons people Western and Northern European immigration to the USA has plummeted.

2 Likes

So…you come here, get a job no “real” American wants in a meatpacking plant in Mississippi, you and your spouse make enough to stand on your own two feet and to support your children…then ICE raids the plant and throws you both in jail and your children are left in the care of the state, guaranteeing not just trauma to your kids, but also guaranteeing that, documented or not, you will never be able to become a citizen. Sounds appropriately Trumpian.

7 Likes

What an adorable picture of racial tolerance this administration is.

3 Likes

So this will create a permanent underclass,

I haven’t read the rule, but judging by its author, I can’t imagine it’s got much flexibility.
Consequently, every time we have an economic downturn, people who do what they need to do survive legally in what is a completely predictable consequence of our economy’s structure will be disqualified from citizenship.
I can’t decide whether or not it would be less cruel to simply deny them the benefits.

4 Likes

Will Trump be setting up operations somewhere to charge fees for illegal immigration?

1 Like

And for those who used public benefits to get on their feet and to then contribute to the economy through working and paying taxes, will they get their money paid to the government back because the conditions for getting a green card have been changed on them?

4 Likes

The problem is that if there are children involved and they are US citizens, but not afforded the same consideration as other children, then it’s not treating them fairly. Unless Miller’s next step is to remove the children from their parents and lose them in the state foster care system.

3 Likes

Except the WH referred to it as Normay.

1 Like

And it i important to know who Stephen Miller really is. Suffice it ti say he would have been very, very comfortable as part of the Third Reich. For a detailed background, try reading “21 Facts That Explain Exactly Who Stephen Miller Is” which can be found at https://www.alternet.org/2017/02/21-facts-explain-exactly-who-stephen-miller/

He’s just 32. He’ll outlive 45 and move on to another racist.

1 Like

For all I know, his contractors have been doing that for years.

2 Likes

Rhetorical question whose non-rhetorical-question answer is no.

(And has always been no. This sort of rule change has happened before.)

I won’t be surprised when all of those “likely” to use public aid will have brown or black skin. This is just a racist policy in disguise.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available