Trump Admin Aimed To Create Taxpayer-Funded COVID PSA Based On Pro-Trump Politics

Documents obtained by the House Oversight Committee show that the Trump administration tried to create a $250 million taxpayer-funded ad campaign on COVID-19, which was supposed to “defeat despair, inspire hope” on the pandemic, based on President Donald Trump’s politics.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1341162
1 Like

to “defeat despair, inspire hope” on the pandemic,
based on President Donald Trump’s politics.

This would be like squaring the circle.

I’m not surprised they failed.

19 Likes

Based on Trump politics?

So a pro-COVID PSA?

25 Likes

And to think that the Media in this fucking country has allowed this Scumbag to repeatedly call Hillary Clinton “Crooked.”

32 Likes

This is third world bullshit. American government should never promote one party or politician over others.

Republicans should be shown the door and not let back in until they learn that political parties come behind loyalty to all of America including people on the other side.

Tribalism has to stop. If it doesn’t we will be killing each other like tutis and hutus or sunnies and shiites. .

14 Likes

What’s this ‘under review by Azar’ nonsense?

I’m surprised, as a Trump lackey, that he isn’t pushing this through to reality, whether it’s legal or not.

12 Likes

I, for one, would rather see my tax dollars spent for tangible benefits, not pissed down a hole.

6 Likes

One wonders who is keeping track of the Trump use of AF1, etc. for campaign events and guaranteeing that his campaign is paying for those trips vs. the American taxpayer. Who paid for staff, security, etc. at the shameless, Trump campaign events held at the WH? VOTE!

14 Likes

Something else paid for by taxpayers, the 3rd quarter “surge” out of the hole Trump allowed covid to put us in. and note this big growth was smaller than the fall so we’re still in a hole and now nothing is being done and covid is surging.

8 Likes

Too little, too late. Nobody with any sense believes Trump when he’s saying it’s under control. As for those with no sense, they’ll never listen until it affects them so directly they can’t miss it, and that is not through the media.

5 Likes

Certainly not substantiated by the market the last few days. That’s much more visible than the GDP.

7 Likes

$25M to $35M of that amount going to ‘agency commissions’.
The grifting specialty of Brad Parscale.

Trump 2020. Sucking the US Treasury dry until 2021.

14 Likes

It must have been a lonely job trying to find Hollywood celebrities whose agents would allow them to sign up to front an ad for a historically unpopular president. The short list was probably Dennis Miller, Kanye West and some dead professional athletes. They’d end up doing a deep fake with Herman Cain.

14 Likes

The screening of actors political views is literally the reincarnation of the Hollywood blacklist and HUAC, just this time coming from the White House.

9 Likes

I bet you are so glad.

I also bet the biggest and best GDP number will be adjusted - no, make that “corrected” - sometime after November 3rd.

7 Likes

I’m sure that Jared, with his keen, analytical mind, is keeping a penny-by-penny account of all expenditures. I know this because alien goats appeared in my dreams last night and told me.

7 Likes

I think when they finally add up all the receipts after tRump’s out of office they’re gonna find that his campaign probably found ways to steal 75% of taxpayer money to give himself an advantage towards a second term. This is a man that wanted letters in emergency food aid added to boxes having his signature on them as if the relief came from him personally. Those relief checks that had his signature on them during a pandemic issued last spring by the Treasury was another way he thought up in advance of the election and it took extra time and money to create a new check that had to print that bullshit. VOA eliminating a firewall and becoming a political arm of the administration…he checked that box too…and we’re paying for that crap. The FCC giving away spectrum to some rightwing group in an obvious form of cronyism…more forms of political manipulation of the system for his political benefit that has the potential to boost his standing with the public. There are plenty of examples where he’s used and abused taxpayer money in so many inappropriate ways.

All those flights on AF1 to his super-spreader events are probably being paid for by the taxpayer to some extent as well. The non-functioning FEC can’t really do much at this point, now can they? So we rely on one body of Congress to do oversight while the other body in the Senate remains brain-dead and unmotivated to do anything about it under GOP leadership.

All this is money he doesn’t have because his campaign is practically broke. He’s been blurring the lines between our money and what he considers his money since he’s gotten into office. Taxpayer money has become his private piggy bank…and Mnuchin has been as corrupt as tRump in letting him get away with it. In fact, he’s used a lot of agencies this way particularly as we’ve gotten closer to the election. I’m just waiting for a tally of all the emoluments and Hatch Act violations involving money that he’s stolen from American people when he’s finally kicked to the curb. The corruption by tRump and the cronies he’s feeding as his own protection racket has been off the charts.

And that bit about it being under review by Azar…yeah well, I call bullshit on that too.

18 Likes

Anyone could run the economy into a hole by neglecting a pandemic, and then boast about the growth numbers – if the Bengals win their next game their wins will increase 100%, while if the Steelers do their wins will only increase 14%. Trump is the Cincinati Bengals of politics.

11 Likes

Meanwhile in Finland…

The small intestine expressed higher levels of ACE2 mRNA than any other organ. By immunohistochemistry, duodenum, kidney and testis showed strong signals, whereas the signal was weak in the respiratory tract.

Paper here.

This is outrageous! Another blatant attempt by Trump to use taxpayer funds to bolster his reelection campaign! Ooh, this just makes my blood boil! Again!

Oh wait, the election is in five days so this is already baked into the numbers. Never mind.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available