Top WH COVID Adviser Clashes With Trump’s ‘Rounding The Curve’ Claims, Says Rising Cases ‘Are Real’

Admiral Brett Giroir, who serves as the assistant secretary for health at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the White House’s COVID-19 testing czar, on Wednesday morning pushed back against President Donald Trump’s falsely rosy framing of the COVID-19 pandemic.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1340927
1 Like

Walk back in 3…2…1…

1 Like

I have the feeling that Trump has been weakened enough that he cannot force Giroir to walk it back. Besides it’s most likely that Giroir doesn’t see himself in office for much longer, even if Trump wins he won’t want to be part of the disaster that will be coming this winter.

10 Likes

Giroir is a lying sycophant and not to be trusted. From an NPR interview this past July:

GIROIR: No, that’s not true because the technology has really caught up with where we are. By October - certainly by September, we expect to have 15 to 20 million point-of-care tests. That’s as many tests as we’re doing every month now. That’s going to dramatically reduce the burden. We just had another test authorized last week. And we’re going to be really leaning in on these point of care to nursing homes. We’re also doing pooling. We think pooling will be validated on a number of platforms within the next couple of weeks, meaning we can do five or even 10 tests for every one test.

So yes, the demand will increase. We want to have 100 million tests per month done in this country by September, and I think we’re well on track to have that done with our point-of-care and other technologies.

3 Likes

“It’s not just a function of testing.”

When you’ve lost Brett Giroir …

10 Likes

I heard Giroir once spoke to a registered Democrat! There is a photo and everything on Hunter Biden’s laptop about it!

You can’t trust these guys.

9 Likes

Trump should be celebrating rising cases instead of denying them, since each one is one step closer to the “herd mentality”, isn’t it?

12 Likes

The COVID epidemic is not going to be brought under control until the GOP is out of power. Unfortunately, it will continue to burn in the red states, even under a Democratic administration. They are going to force a quarantine of anyone from those states, with a high economic cost, mostly for them but it won’t be good for anyone. My guess is that the MAGAT’s aren’t going to trust any vaccine developed under a Dem administration and their healthcare systems are going to be overstressed for the foreseeable future.

17 Likes

I agree…The Trumpsters will ‘blame’ the Dems for COVID, the debt/deficit, and all the problems of the country that Trump Inc. failed to address…

9 Likes

Some good observations here, but
some states are hybrids… our blue counties support the sick folks who come in from the red counties… the blue counties cannot quarantine our neighbors

8 Likes

Here in PA, we had 2,751 cases yesterday, the most cases since the pandemic started.

10 Likes

tRump: Deaths, Deaths, Deaths, Deaths, Deaths, Deaths, Deaths, Deaths, Deaths, Deaths, Deaths!

4 Likes

Perpetually “rounding the curve” is also called “going in circles.”

Reminds me of having fun ‘back in the day’, doing 60 mph in a big empty parking lot Sunday morning, pulling up the hand brake and spinning the wheel.

So, when can we have fun again - and nice things?

11 Likes

7 Likes

Just don’t ask Tom Friedman.

2 Likes

It’s hard to have a dementia patient for a boss.

6 Likes

I agree…The Trumpsters will ‘blame’ the Dems for COVID, the debt/deficit, and all the problems of the country that Trump Inc. failed to address…

Just like 2008/09 w/o COVID. Democrats had best remember these moments next time a Republican even opens his lying mouth.

3 Likes

Just don’t ask Tom Friedman

Did you have to go there!!

3 Likes

I was never very good at that whole “forgive and forget” thing.

5 Likes

The truth will set you free…the Man said. From that being set free should cause you to tell the truth. Trump’s almost certain to be booted in less than a week which will set a bunch folks free. I hope they start the truth thing as soon as they realize it’s all they can do to salvage themselves.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available