Tom Cotton Warns That Chinese Will Use Olympics To Harvest US DNA For ‘Supersoldiers’ | Talking Points Memo

Funny you should use that example. My general thoughts are that soccer will be one of the last sports standing because of its relative immunity to drugging or genetic screening to breed the best players. Along with curling.

First to fall will be the brute strength stuff like weight-lifting, where the right genes make the difference. Team sports will be further down because you can’t just isolate a handful of traits that make it work.

But either way, over the next few decades, we are going to see some interesting competitors coming out of China.

What evidence does Cotton have the DNA harvesting hasn’t already occurred at some other venue. There’s no rule that the Chinese can only harvest DNA on their own soil.

4 Likes

Au contraire …

3 Likes

She seems nice.

4 Likes

Is this Cotton’s “Yellow Brick Road” to the White House?

Not sure his internal GPS is working.

2 Likes

Hey, if anyone’s an expert in 9/11 2.0 planning, it would be the bin laden family and the Saudis.

Should nuke both just to be sure.

2 Likes
1 Like

If you are suggesting a Mendelian approach (encouraging or requiring great athletes to have children with other great athletes), there may be something to that. It’s simple and could be effective. We often see the children of great athletes rising to (or near) the top of their respective sports.

But a DNA-based approach (screening embryos for the right traits) seems far-fetched to me. There is some literature about genetic variations that contribute to athletic performance, but it doesn’t seem immediately promising. This statement from a 2019 article abstract captures my current feelings:

[A]t this time there are very few, if any, obvious relationships between these key physiological determinants of performance and DNA sequence variation. Several potential reasons for this lack of relationship will be discussed.
Genetic Approaches for Sports Performance: How Far Away Are We? | SpringerLink

Definitely not my field, so there may be some info out there supporting it. I just haven’t seen it.

Which is one of the many reasons why I think Tom Cotton is the new Louie Gohmert.

6 Likes

Worse, he probably isn’t; he’s playing to the idiots who are.

Didn’t this clown go to an Ivy League college? HOW THE FUCK DID HE GRADUATE?!

2 Likes

Well of all the things they are paranoid about, they are welcome to be paranoid about China as far as I’m concerned. We probably all should be a little. I am, I know.

4 Likes

So the Republican party has given up governing and taken up trolling 24/7/365?

5 Likes

The Ivy League is all about the Benjamin’s. Actual academic performance is a sideshow to earning the big bucks from rich people who turn around and boost their endowments

3 Likes

They did that some time ago. During the Obama Administration.

3 Likes

I thought that was the long reach to accidentally delete the tapes during Nixon…

Too late. Robots are already better.

1 Like

Agreed, why the fuck are you apologizing?

2 Likes

Along with Jewish space lasers; Italian satellites switching Trump votes to Biden; covid vaccines that make you magnetic; 1/6 as merely “normal tourist visits” to the Capitol; and other great QOP theories.

5 Likes

Aqua Velva DT’s

1 Like

Well I for one am glad the someone is working to preserve our precious bodily fluids.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available