To Most Dems, It’s Clear: The Only Path To Voting Rights Runs Through The Filibuster | Talking Points Memo

Senate Republicans blocked a major piece of Democrats’ voting rights legislation, keeping the bill from even advancing to a floor debate despite Sen. Joe Manchin’s (D-WV) insistence that it could garner bipartisan support.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1391529

I think Schumer and other Dem members in the leadership need to book some time in the woodshed for Sinema and Manchin. At this point in the process/game they both have to know that if this stuff doesn’t get passed they the two of them are done. We’ve tried it their way and now it’s time to stand together as a team to get shit done.

18 Likes

What the Fuck took them so long?

2 Likes

“To Most Dems, It’s Clear: The Only Path To Voting Rights Runs Through The Filibuster”

And to anyone with a brain, it’s already clear there’s no getting it done because of Manchin and Sinema, that voting rights are essentially dead in this country and there’s only one horrible destination at the end of this Primrose Path the country is on.

2 Likes

That accomplishes nothing because Sinema doesn’t care and Manchin’s life would be easier if he was a republican.

2 Likes

I wonder if Joe and Sinema have the fortitude to meet with their respective constituents?

3 Likes

Sinema’s only constituent is whomever pays her the most or most recently.

4 Likes

The Only Path To Voting Rights Runs Through The Filibuster

D’oh! Who knew?

I wonder: What would Mitch do?

14 Likes

Had to give Captain Ahab (Manchin) opportunity to hunt down his Great White Whale (10 GOP votes).

22 Likes

Fearless Leader Koch bought off Boris Manchin and Natasha Sinema. They will not budge at all on the filibuster…watch what happens when Republicans get the Senate and McConnell kills the filibuster.

6 Likes

I’m sure he’ll get 10 Republican votes any day now!

4 Likes

Predictable

““To the patriots after the Civil War, this wasn’t partisan”

And yet now look at the electoral map:

The geographic division of the Civil War is indeed now partisan and to the extent we’ve made blue inroads into that, THAT is the existential crisis the GQP perceives as justifying doing anything and everything required to prevent democracy from surviving.

And the reason they will succeed is because not enough Dems, liberals, etc., sufficiently perceive the GQP’s mindset and behavior as an existential crisis for the rest of us.

6 Likes

McConnell: “Before I allow an up and down vote on a D voting-rights bill, I would have my fingernails pulled out and then be burned slowly to death at the stake.”
Manchin: “I think my friends in the Republican caucus are open to good-faith negotiations.”

Manchin is the kid who just believes there’s a pony under the pile of shit that is the Republican Senate caucus. Or at least pretends to.

11 Likes

Thank you for that. The imagery is too rich for words. If only I could draw. [sigh]

4 Likes

Manchin and Sinema are easy. Believe people when they tell you who they are + Actions speak louder than words = They are Republican trojan horses bought and owned by corporate interests and their own selfish avarice.

7 Likes

And over Sinema and Manchin. But how?

OT, but I gather that the Laundrie kid has been found and taken into custody. Three cheers for missing white woman syndrome?

4 Likes

Hard disagree. The only fucking reason that Manchin has any leverage at all is because he’s the 50th Dem (not counting Sinema, whatever-the-fuck she is). Manchin has this leverage only as long as there’s a (D) after his name.

Maybe Coal Joe. Sinema ducks everyone except Big Pharma and other donors.

11 Likes

It’s assumed they found his body.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available