Tim Walz Lo The Boom On JD Vance Over Jan. 6

More like

1 Like

Nobody then was, either. The modern “traditions” of politicians going to all these state fairs and shit is a direct descendant of what was going on.

Just to pull one very long read, nobody was packing up the family to go all the way to town just to hear some politician speak.

IMHO there’s also a corollary here in that nobody who invested all of that time and energy would accept the “norm” today of a two-minute blow-off non-answer. I carved out a whole couple of days from the farm, and JD’s gonna just blow that off? Heck, nah.

The state’s economic dynamism is also evident. Breeders from Kentucky exhibited cows, calves, and bulls, while a breeder from Vermont brought sufficient sheep to fill three pens. Other salesmen exhibited mechanical devices to increase farm productivity. According to the Missouri Democrat, the “self-raker and reapers especially attract the attention of farmers.” The fair’s commercial character indicates the increasing integration of regional and national economies by the 1850s, the growing capital resources of the state’s market-oriented farmers, and the increasing size of farms, which made labor-saving machinery cost-effective. Meanwhile, as the Republican’s correspondent observed, Springfield was growing by leaps and bounds, with a torrent of new commercial and residential construction underway and a corresponding need for additional tradesmen. [23]

But the political drama took center stage. Douglas was the main attraction, and his supporters had reserved “a pretty grove” for his speech on Tuesday, October 3, “so that all could hear.” The forbidding weather forced the event into the Hall of Representatives in the state capitol, which was “crowded to the utmost” with “ten to twelve hundred persons,” including many women, who listened to Douglas’s long speech in the early afternoon. The “vast auditory” reconvened at 7 P.M. to hear subsequent speakers for at least an additional two and a half hours, and after those speakers had concluded, Lincoln announced he would respond to Douglas the next day.[24] The Republican’s correspondent well understood the significance of Lincoln’s reply, writing that “I must be there to look on.” In the end, he devoted sixty percent of his correspondence on October 6 to the debate between Douglas and Lincoln, which testifies to the enormous public interest in the Kansas-Nebraska Act.[25]

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/j/jala/2629860.0030.204/--new-records-of-the-lincoln-douglas-debate-at-the-1854

2 Likes

Did she fly in the pallets?

2 Likes

So will verdicts/sentencing be on that list soon?

2 Likes

I fucking hate that stupid thumbs up gesture so badly now.

10 Likes

So you’re going to object that there will two people, but we only have to pay for one?

1 Like

Just noting that we can’t be sure that the one running isn’t also borrowing a “family”.

3 Likes

She wouldnt know what a pallet was if it hit her in the ass…

2 Likes

Both of him.

1 Like

:+1:t4:

4 Likes

:heart:

1 Like

Fantastic image. What we need is a before shot to go with it.

2 Likes

1 Like

IMG_1021

3 Likes

:+1:

2 Likes

A-hole

2 Likes

Someone mentioned giving thumbs up at a Cemetery, flood and other disasters. It made me think this seemed about right.

7 Likes

“It is imperative to guarantee that women have autonomy in deciding their preference of having children, based on their own convictions, free from any intervention or pressure from the government,” the Republican nominee’s wife writes, amid a campaign in which Donald Trump’s threats to women’s reproductive rights have played a central role.

“Why should anyone other than the woman herself have the power to determine what she does with her own body? A woman’s fundamental right of individual liberty, to her own life, grants her the authority to terminate her pregnancy if she wishes.

“Restricting a woman’s right to choose whether to terminate an unwanted pregnancy is the same as denying her control over her own body. I have carried this belief with me throughout my entire adult life.”

Wow! I guess I’m a little surprised. It’s something Kamala Harris could have said at a rally. Put her to work at Emily’s List or Planned Parenthood.

4 Likes

whew, I just heard back from my friend and I’m so relieved to hear that he got out of town in advance and is safe and sound. The area is pretty devastated, though. And people are still trying to get out though there’s not enough things like gas and many roads are impassable. He’s not sure when he’ll be able to go back, but staying away is the right call for now since there are not enough resources for the people who are currently there.

I’m afraid many folks are going to be displaced for quite some time. :frowning:

10 Likes

Education and training are different things. Education refers to teaching and learning how to think for yourself, how to acquire knowledge and evaluate information critically. Training refers to teaching and learning skills such as carpentry and agriculture. Both education and training are necessary and of considerable value. The border between them is not necessarily a sharp one, and they can have considerable overlap.

1 Like