This Election Will Prove If Florida Is Still Winnable For Democrats

Democratic campaign organizations stubbornly insist that Florida is their best Senate pickup opportunity in 2024 — less a booming declaration of confidence, more a reflection of the impossibly tough map. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1485212
1 Like

Good morning Kate!

14 Likes

Democrats are afraid of Republican interference with the abortion issue. The way to get rid of Republican interference is to vote out the Republicans. To do that the Democratic party is going to have to engage in Florida (and a number of ofther states that are ripe for the taking in 2024) but they won’t do that. That would require hard work and if their is one thing I know about Democratic politicians, they don’t like hard work.

4 Likes

I don’t know how to explain to all the pundits and the MSM, but the rest of the country does not give a sh*t about Florida and hasn’ since the 2000 election.

5 Likes

Is this piece in addition to or a replacement for the “Texas is turning blue” articles that return every four years as reliably as San Capistrano’s swallows?

10 Likes

Florida Republicans know the meaning of “lawfare.”

3 Likes

I lived in Texas for 32 of the last 39 years. ALL of the major metropolitan areas are blue, with the exception of Ft Worth, which is purple. People are moving there and bringing their blue state politics with them.

It is a matter of time before Texas flips. And it will flip before Florida.

23 Likes

I hope that this is true!! Obama won the state twice. Florida is like Texas in that it is a non-voting state.

Bottom line, like Texas, Florida is too big of a state to ignore and efforts need to be made here to flip it. For all you naysayers, keep two things in mind: Nothing will happen if we don’t try! And if we flip Texas and Florida, Republicans will NEVER win the Electoral College vote again! That ALONE makes it worth trying!

28 Likes

Have you paid any attention to the Democratic party in Florida. They keep running the same old retreads time after time and wonder why they can’t win.

2 Likes

Sometimes they even use discarded republicans.

15 Likes

Reduce, reuse, recycle!

10 Likes

I don’t have high hopes for Florida… to me it seems further out of reach than a bunch of other places, but I do think this point is a good one:

as long as we’re not burning too much of our own money there…

5 Likes

I’m in no mood to moan about Democrats or Florida. Dobbs has many more gifts to give.

17 Likes

“A matter of time” is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. I’ll buy you all the Lone Stars you can drink if you send someone not named Cruz to the Senate next year.

3 Likes

Like I said the Florida Democratic party doesn’t like to work very hard.

2 Likes

A trip to a taxidermist will be involved at some point, but Charlie’s gonna be running for something into perpetuity.

7 Likes

16 Likes

While I agree Texas is worth fighting for, the margins are much smaller in FL and FL is much more winnable than TX at the moment. Dems absolutely need to change their tactics in FL though. Running re-treads/Republican lite candidates does nothing to turn out the vote. While we float much better candidates in TX, we are terrible at mounting the 365/24/7 campaigns that are needed to flip the state. We need to be up on Hispanic speaking radio and TV countering the GOP false narratives on those platforms. It seems like we just assume that demographic will just vote blue without putting in the work. We flipped GA - but it took year-round work - not just six months before the election…

17 Likes

28 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available