The Strangely Long List Of Obscure Names Dropped By Trump Lawyer Robert Ray | Talking Points Memo

Trump team lawyer Robert Ray put on a dazzling display of obscure and tenuous historical namedropping during his remarks in the Senate impeachment trial Monday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1287359

Dersh’s dream client would be John Wilkes Booth.

26 Likes

Desperate people do (and assert) desperate things. God Almighty!

3 Likes

When ya can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

38 Likes

“One citizen” whose tweet he saw

Lots of capital letters and the word ‘perfect’? I think I know who he’s talking about.

14 Likes

I’m pretty sure historical precedent has indeed been broken by having a president who is a Russian tool.

14 Likes

Throw enough random obscure cites out there and people just give up on debunking them. Works in the media, though not in real courts.

10 Likes

Razzle Dazzle.

3 Likes

Only slightly OT. Spankee’s defense team used a criminal defense scholar(?) as their constitutional expert. Actually, a criminal defense attorney.
Nuff said.

15 Likes

This is a simple trick that all propagandists employ…overwhelm the listeners/readers with so much information that they can’t keep track of wtf is being said and why and what it could possibly mean in terms of the issue at hand. For the most part, this is what Mr. Trump and his supporters are always doing.

17 Likes

Subpoena everyone on the list and get their testimony under oath.

I can lend some shovels to assist the process servers with the subterranean members of the list.

6 Likes

Throw everything against the wall! See what sticks!

Just as good as a coherent case, with multiply-sourced facts, documents, and eyewitness testimony … for people who are willing to cling to any tiny reed.

5 Likes

Exactly. It’s been a standard Republican technique since the days of Lee Atwater.

6 Likes

I came here to say that, but I could only remember the part about the bullshit.

2 Likes

OT: I don’t know if this has been posted anywhere, but dang, this deserves its own investigation and impeachment charges. And what did Barr do? Let me guess…nothing.

21 Likes

For which I say, “duhh”. I mean, didn’t we already knew this? My question is then, so what the fuck is Barr doing about it??

10 Likes

He forgot to name Groucho, Harpo, Chico, Zeppo and Gummo Marx.

6 Likes

I don’t know that anyone has fleshed it out though, in all its gory details. Could be quite elucidating to have Bolton walk us through the details. Also, this:

6 Likes

Gish gallop.

2 Likes

Remember when there was consternation because Jerry Nadler was using big words that would turn the American people off?

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available