The Sacred Lies of Virginia Thomas - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Now that writing is what I come to TPM for. Bravo! Literate /snark.

9 Likes

Yes, the interview with Gini Thomas did not reveal any direct insight into the insurrection. And, I am not sure the interview was a complete waste of time. The J6C is not the same as the DOJ, which agreed, should not bother with her unless there is something we don’t know.

Gini Thomas’s testimony preserved for posterity the thinking that brought us to this brink, the same thinking that would push us over in the future. I suppose the counter argument is we have seen this before so many times in history that she is more cliche than useful. Basically, if we avoid trying to connect logic dots because there are none, she is saying that power should make what is “right”, not process, and her group should have the power. I would consider that important J6C work to shine a light on this point.

I always think it important to document the argument from the other side. Let them make their argument. For that, Ms. Thomas served quite well. I am always grateful when the opposition makes the case against themselves so convincingly.

17 Likes

You can lead a whore to culture, but you can’t make her think.

Dorothy Parker

15 Likes

On January 6, 2021, Thomas awoke early to walk her dogs

The unfortunate creatures.

5 Likes

She’s turned dissembling into a fine art which she may have learned from Clarence at the moment he declared during his nomination hearing that it was “a high-tech lynching.”

15 Likes

Evil and stupid often go together among the GOP cabal.

10 Likes

That was her response to being asked to use the word “horticulture” in a sentence.

34 Likes

Stupid is a non-measurable term, defined by ones words and deeds. Thomas is as stupid as they come.

3 Likes

Good points made about what was not asked. The idea that Thomas viewed any questioning of Herself as a form of torture, possible illegal … that’s valid.

For me though, this was just too cutsie:

In testimony before the Jan. 6 committee, the wife of Justice Clarence Thomas would not renounce her faith

The committee had sought, in its late September interview with the spouse of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, to expose the errors of her doctrines and the crookedness of her path. But Thomas emerged from the roughly 4-hour meeting triumphant, her faith unshaken.

When it was over, Thomas departed, unbroken by inquisition, unfettered by obligation, her lies intact, at the ready, open carried.

3 Likes

Well, is the evil even more excessive?

1 Like

If they resided next door to Merde-a-Lago the whole neighborhood would stink to high heaven!

3 Likes

She is a lying crazy lady. Quell surprise.

9 Likes

Lies open-carried…lol

If American democracy won’t continue to enshrine white Christian conservative preeminence, then it is American democracy, not the preeminence, which must be brought to heel.

“White Christian conservative”. You left out male.

Sorry, Ginnie

7 Likes

… I’ve looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It’s cloud illusions I recall
I really don’t know clouds at all

8 Likes

Though these two may be self centered a-holes, having a pet let’s them pretend that they are normal people.

3 Likes

So “sincerely held religious beliefs” for the save?

12 Likes

That would be the defense, she really and truly believed it because everyone around her was saying there was fraud.

The counter to that defense is that fraud crimes don’t require proof the defendant knew the claims were false, just that she was recklessly indifferent to their truth or falsity. So you can still probably get a conviction on that basis. And running that defense would probably require her to testify at trial, and true-believing lunatics don’t tend to do well under cross-exam. Just ask Bigo.

In reality, it’s quite unlikely that Ginni Thomas would ever get charged over any of this stuff. She’s a bit player, and the CONFRAUDUS part of the investigation looks like it’s aimed at the organizers in and out of the White House.

19 Likes

Weight a minute.

Was that a pun?

11 Likes

I just appreciate the focus on Ginni because of her “beliefs”, the crowd she hangs around with, and the fact that this woman with a law degree, married to a Supreme Court Justice just can’t put her finger on examples of fraud that had been discovered.

17 Likes

This is what happens after 40 years of right-wing media catering to its audience’s prejudices. There’s no such thing as objective reality, just whatever their media figures and Facebook feeds are telling them. It’s not true because it’s real, it’s true because Ginni saw Sidney on Newsmax and what Sidney was saying sounded good to Ginni. They would never lie to her, so there had to be a Kraken.

19 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available