The Sacred Lies of Virginia Thomas - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Clarence and Ginni don’t strike me as pet people – they’re both far too self-centered to care for a dog or a cat.

10 Likes

I think Ginni had delusions of writing the majority opinion for Bush v. Gore redux.

8 Likes

It’s plausible that Ginni might have criminal culpability for her peripheral role in the conspiracy to defraud the United States with the fake electors and the Pence Gambit. But you’re not going to build such a case against Ginni by talking to her, nor are you going to learn anything useful about anyone else by doing so. So let’s not waste the special counsel’s time the way J6C ended up wasting theirs.

28 Likes

The article said she walked her dogs. Surprised me, too. Frankly, I don’t see her walking anywhere except to the refrigerator.

9 Likes

hubris personified

7 Likes

“Mrs. Thomas, what was the most significant case of voter fraud that you were concerned with?”
Ginni: “Well, at that time I wasn’t familiar with anything specific.”
“No problem. It’s (checks calendar) nearly two years later now. What have you discovered in those roughly two years since the election? Take your time.”
tick, tick, tick…
Ginni: “I got nothin’.”

35 Likes

Thomas’s texts with Meadows are one of the topics she did not discuss with Justice Thomas. “I do know,” she told the committee, “he was completely unaware of the texts that I had with Mark Meadows until this committee leaked them to the press while my husband was in a hospital bed in March fighting an infection.”

Of course the press reported on the texts because it’s only concerned with punishing poor, poor Clarence as he lay on his death bed, and not because the texts were . . . news.

18 Likes

By faith alone art thou saved . . . from antifa.

17 Likes

They ARE the pets of the Dark Money/Federalist/Wackadoodle-Billionaire crowd.

4 Likes

Ginni Thomas comes across as that eccentric one tolerates in a social circle b/c of her family ties. I don’t see her as a driver of right wing nut talk, but she’s often a evangelizer or a bridge between the extremists and country club republicans because she is a nutter who lives among country club republicans.

I don’t think anything she has said or done so far is illegal. Being an advocate for overthrowing the gov’t is protected speech. We don’t have evidence that she acted on that to help organize the coup attempt. She was around the key players and provided them moral support, but I’m not able to get more than that from the publicly available info.

We’re asking the wrong questions about Ginni Thomas. She has the right to be a right wing nut, but Clarence Thomas shouldn’t continue to have the privilege to serve at the SCOTUS when his wife is clearly an extremist and activist for political views which are often represented in cases before the high court. There’s no credible way for Clarence Thomas to maintain impartiality, and we know from his opinions that he’s just as unhinged as she is. His decisions are extreme, outside of the mainstream and he’s very much a political actor plugging the extremist right wing view in his dissenting or concurring opinions, much like he did with Dobbs. The SCOTUS can’t have political activists and people who openly conspire against the Republic or are cheerleaders for such sedition.

We have no code of ethics for SCOTUS Justices, the impeachment bar is set too high, and the default position is that appointments to the court are for life. Therefore, current law doesn’t really provide a way to extricate Thomas from the court. However, a critique of Thomas and conservative manipulation and abuse of the judicial branch of gov’t should be sounded out widely as a basis for national court reform. We do need term rotations on the high court (meaning they still remain a Judge, but just can’t sit on the high court for more than x number of years (e.g., 12 or 15)), a code of judicial ethics that applies to nominees and to increase the number of justices to at least 12 or 13 to dilute the power of 1 or 2 nutter justices.

A case needs to be made to the public for court reform and the corruption of the court by Ginni and Clarence Thomas is a case in point to highlight.

49 Likes

She repeatedly emailed various state legislators to urge them to decertify the actual electors and instead certify the fake electors. On its own, that’s free speech. In conjunction with one or more others seeking to defraud the United States via the fake electors/Pence Gambit scheme, she could very well be looking at a felony.

That said, if this transcript is to be credited, it seems pretty clear that she didn’t have fraudulent intent because she’s such a total dipshit that she believed every word of it on faith alone.

45 Likes

It’s not clear to me it was coordinated. We don’t have that evidence yet. She was an advocate for insurrection and for not certifying Biden as the winner, but I haven’t seen anything concrete that connects her to what Trump/Meadows/Giuliani/Eastman planned, organized and executed. If Meadows encouraged her to send that correspondence and invited her in on the scheme, that’s a different matter.

12 Likes

Somebody gave her the info necessary for her to generate and send all those form emails. She didn’t come up with that on her own, nor would she have known who to aim her messages at, nor their email addresses. So she was clearly acting in coordination with somebody, it’s just a question of whether they had the goal of conspiring to defraud. Remember, there can be multiple criminal conspiracies around the same event. She doesn’t have to be in league with Sidney Powell (though it’s clear she was).

ETA: Ginni denies being in contact with Powell, just seeing her in media hits. She was very clearly in contact with Eastman and Cleta Mitchell though.

41 Likes

Nicely wrItten piece!

16 Likes

Hmm. Kind of a little too “literary”, if you know what I mean. I’d prefer less snark, more concentrating on the facts and analysis.

And how about “Ginni’s” kaffeeklatch of former Clarence Thomas clerks? Did that come up in the transcripts? Was she questioned about her little society of former clerks and how it related to “having nothing to do with” the Supreme Court side of the marriage? (What, do I have to read the testimony myself??)

10 Likes

Well, yeah sure, but as Bigo has pointed out, so many of these poor innocents ended up in the dock but weren’t tried by a jury of their piers… :roll_eyes:

17 Likes

Good analysis! Ginni has a law degree, she’s surrounded herself with lawyers who formerly clerked for Clare, she knows how depositions work … and how to sabotage them. She’s dumb like a fox.

Thanks! I keep forgetting that. Of course, speech is protected; actions, not as much.

12 Likes

Lots of “people are saying” evidence. The woman had to be de-programmed from a cult. She still does.

22 Likes

If Ms. Thomas ever gets prosecuted, I wonder if she’ll go with the defense that she has a brain disorder that causes her to be exceptionally gullible. Point to support: a previous adherence to the cult Lifespring for several years immediately followed by her adherence to the extreme right wing after her deprogramming.

“Sadly, the people who helped deprogram Ginni were also apparently involved in right-wing causes. As is the case with SO many former members, she was overly susceptible and went from one cult to another (The Cult of Trump),” Hassan wrote.

12 Likes

Ginni Thomas is as much of a liar as George Santos. Peas in a pod.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available