The Rule Of Law Is The Only Thing That Matters In 2024

Yeah, that’s the ticket. The most recent “done before” started in 1933 and didn’t end until 1945 with a total death count somewhere between 70 and 85 million people from 1939-1945.

5 Likes

Every democracy has an equivalent of the Electoral College for aggregating voter preferences (parliamentary democracy, anyone?). None of them are perfect. Would argue the minoritarian Senate and its filibuster are a much bigger impediment to effective representation.

2 Likes

Probably 100 million people didn’t survive to feel the satisfaction the Axis powers and the USSR ultimately failed in their experiments in governing.

1 Like

No one has asked or answered the question: Why?

For me, the clarity and persuasiveness of the “Why” determines the validity of the statement. I always listen hard for the “Why”. Too often there’s some magical thinking and giant assumptions involved.

2 Likes

Translation: The Oedipus-Complex-cum-political-messaging-target.

“You never have to grow up. The world should be arranged so that you you are permitted to go from having your mom mommy you to having some stranger mommy you, with the advantage that SHE actually let’s you fuck her and it’s ALLOWED…all while pretending she’s your replacement mom.”

9 Likes

Having known, over the years, several pastors, dedicated hard-working folks, usually ministering to churches on the smallish side of the spectrum, who had a constant struggle to keep their church solvent, rent paid, and kids fed, I feel obliged to warn you that this trick does not always work.

7 Likes

He doesn’t, and most likely won’t. trump is Wile E. Coyote standing in thin air, staring at the audience the moment before gravity takes hold of him. Only with trump, gravity is the legal system.

29 Likes

Ah, the Schafly Paradox,

A woman can make a pretty good living telling other women to stay out of the workforce.

27 Likes

And what’s even more scary is that you can have your life destroyed while being an innocent bystander as has happened to the law clerk in NYC or the election workers in Georgia. I’m hoping that as Trump and his minions like Bannon talk about what they will do, voters will begin to realize that we are all at risk if they win.

13 Likes

WTF could Elon and Bibi have to discuss?

• Anecdotes about Apartheid?
  • coordination on getting Trump elected?
12 Likes

Seems to be working as designed, R. VonHolst.
(Ob. Asimov ref.)

4 Likes

Vernon Dursley or Horace Rumpole?

10 Likes

Great opening sentence, rest of the book is terrible. He’s fallen so far since the excellence of “Snowcrash”. Dude needs an editor with a chainsaw, stat, but he’s so successful he can avoid that.

3 Likes

Well that’s a shame
‘Not my dream start’: Dutch talks in chaos as Wilders ‘scout’ quits (msn.com)

Far-right Dutch firebrand Geert Wilders suffered a major blow Monday, as his handpicked “scout” to oversee coalition talks quit over fraud allegations, throwing the fraught process into chaos before negotiations had even begun.

21 Likes

Hmmmm… I’m dubious about that

That’s the entire RW/Christamitey wing in a nutshell. Offer you something you would rather believe, instead of reality.

3 Likes

We try to have fun.

We succeed more often that we fail :wink: .

8 Likes

The worst part about Sarah is you can’t even dress her up ( aside from being evil through and through).

Saw a pic of her (back whenever) in a dress that looked like a moomoo with balloons on it. Not that I know anything about fashion but I did say, spontaneously, “what’s that!”

15 Likes

Alf Garnett.

5 Likes

This dawned on me the other day. Across the street from where I reside in the park and schoolyard there are mostly Latin and a few South Asian young men playing soccer on the field at most times of the day. It’s also across from the police precinct. They all well mannered with no issues drinking or smoking, well maybe some CBD.
Under a Trump Stephen young Himmler Miller regime will they be questioned? Asked for their papers? Rounded up? Or worse. Would we expect literature the diary of Juan Frank?

14 Likes