The Right Wing Media Wurlitzer Blew A Fuse Over The First Jan. 6 Hearing | Talking Points Memo

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things.

Join me for a moment as we peruse the right-wing media treatment of the first hearing of the Jan. 6 select committee.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1382587
1 Like

After watching the segments in todays Morning Memo, I wish that I could say that I am shocked…but I can’t.

28 Likes

I am not shocked – but I am sickened. Both by the level of violence and by the level of disdain, deceit and disinformation coming from the Right Wing.

55 Likes

I’m sickened as well, and so very sad.

Who are these people? Who the fuck are these people?

41 Likes

No telling where this will turn out. It doesn’t matter what is unfolded during the hearings. One side of America will never believe it.

17 Likes

How long before they literally start saying “Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia” without a smidge of irony?

The longer things go the more I start wondering if no amount of election suppression will prevent them having their asses handed to them next year because they have become so toxic and unhinged.

21 Likes

The following is in no way intended to minimize the danger we face (and props as always to David K for on-point analysis and commentary) but I for one am very, very glad that the Jan. 6 hearings have come together and are playing out as they are. The rocks are ALL being turned over and the roaches are running in all directions. People will flip, especially upward. People well above the insurrectionist rank-and-file are going to go to jail.

55 Likes

Well, I am.
Shocked
See?

14 Likes

Re: A new Trump statement defying the updated guidance

Former President Trump and the senior Republican Party leadership are responsible for a large fraction of the 620,000 + US citizens who died because of covid-19. Make no mistake, their decisions to politicize the pandemic, their incredibly poor response to facts and deaths, their behind the scenes actions to utilize the latest and best medical practices when they or their family/friends contracted the disease while they advocated UV light, bleach, among other completely false treatments will forever condemn these individuals in the eyes of History. They cannot change that. And the fact that too many current Republicans continue to trust and believe in Trump’s fantasy world will continue to challenge this country and lead to additional deaths. I used to call him a grifter, a con man, a fraud. Those descriptors are far too kind. Trump needs to be held accountable in a court of law (if appropriate) and in the court of public opinion if this country is to learn the necessary lessons. Same with anyone, elected officials or not, who attempted to, and are still attempting to, overthrow our collective rights to vote for political leadership. Every vote of a US citizen must count. All efforts and laws to minimize or burden an individuals right to vote need to be eliminated. And let’s start with the nonsensical corporations are people too, stuff. We should seriously consider making election day a National holiday going forward as well.

As for Trump, push back on his illogical crap. We are never going to convince all people (even when death is on the line, his backers still won’t get vaccinated, and they are suffering as a result but won’t make the connection as they would then realize that they were and are duped), so focus on those who are willing to think and engage in realistic discussions. Trump, and the Republican Party as a whole, need to be held accountable. Yesterday’s Jan 6th Hearing was a good start. Now, bury FOX with facts and ignore their shrill self-preservation calls to the contrary.

35 Likes

Every other news organization should devote daily segments to split-screening the video, on one side, and their obfuscations, on the other. Spend more time on direct rebuttal.

15 Likes

It was clear that the violence and denials of reality were going to happen when the white majority saw what it perceived as its power slipping away. The great irony is that most whites have been cut off from power by the corporate elites and their Republican toadies for decades now. The MSM, Fox and talk radio especially, have managed to shift the blame for the loss of jobs and influence to minorities and liberals, starting with the welfare queen myths in the 60’s and 70’s. These people are ignorant and proud of it and I can’t imagine a cure for that.

21 Likes

I didn’t realize these hearings were going to be so far between each other. I can’t decide if that’s good or bad.

7 Likes

Yes. Note that this does not have to be declared legally to be observed. Start a public campaign to get employers to observe it voluntarily.

13 Likes

Tucker Carlson is picking on the displays of emotion??? This little snowflake would still be a gibbering idiot if he had endured a few minutes of what these officers stood against for hours.

I’m not surprised by the Reich Wing’s coverage but I am deeply disgusted .

42 Likes

Good. As we march toward November '22.

12 Likes

All I can say to you tougher than tough faux news idiots, if you’d been in the Capitol on the front line, you’d be singing a different tune. But, yeah, make fun of others that were, your humanity is really shining through.

20 Likes
56 Likes
38 Likes

The Right Wing Media Wurlitzer Blew A Fuse Over The First Jan. 6 Hearing

This will do:

3 Likes

Why not reinstate the truth in broadcasting rules?

6 Likes