The Palpable Pain In Texas

Originally published at: The Palpable Pain In Texas

On the two year anniversary of the disastrous Supreme Court Dobbs ruling, which overturned Roe v. Wade, JAMA Pediatrics, a child and adolescent health journal, published a new study on the significant uptick in infant and newborn deaths in the state of Texas. Texas Republicans, of course, passed one of the most draconian statewide abortion…

I wonder what other metrics they found. Things like how many children were turned over to Child Welfare. What was the rate of adoption in Texas pre Dobbs vs post Dobbs. How many OB/GYNs were there in TX pre Dobbs vs post Dobbs?

ETA: No cat pix, but a fawn pix from 2017

22 Likes

Republicans love it when a plan comes together.

16 Likes

The authors of the study decided they needed a study of babies with congenital abnormalities who survived but will require serious ongoing care with associated costs and stress on families. The basic take away is that a lot of severely disabled infants are being born - a lot of them die within days, weeks or months; some survive with lifelong disabilities. The article didn’t say how many of the mothers also suffered health issues, including permanent disability.

18 Likes

Suffering given by the GOP is a feature, not a bug.

11 Likes

I went to a celebration for the Arizona Abortion Access Act tonight. We needed 380,000 signatures to get this act on the ballot. As of today, we have 776,000 and more are coming in every day. They expect to have over 800,000 by the time they’re turned in on July 3.

This is going to be one of the most lenient abortion laws in the country and it will be an amendment to the Arizona Constitution. So, we can stick it to those fascists on the AZ Supreme Court who were fine and dandy with the1864 abortion prohibition.

22 Likes

And of course, because the TX Lege and governor and courts all care so much about the intrinsic value of each and every human life, we can rest assured that those ongoing costs will be covered by the Lone Star State’s famously generous and comprehensive social support network.

13 Likes

Still has its spots. So technically, we are not supposed to see it. Respect the camouflage.

7 Likes

Looks like I’m not the only one having trouble finding how to get into comments. This article shows “0” for me in the comment icon, instead of the actual number, or in the case of many lately, a blank. Most have been working from the front page for me lately, for what it’s worth.

I used the Hive + muted category + article topics to find the thread. But it’s not easy.

5 Likes

OT, but today’s “New Thing Alert: Inside TPM” – where Joe Ragazzo interviews Josh Kovensky – is really interesting.

Looking forward to the next one.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty weird. I usually can see the comments from the main article page after someone else has started them, but not this one. I suspect the web team are in the middle of some testing and fixing.

1 Like

As @darrtown states, it is a feature not a bug. But the grief the parents and the spouses will suffer is quite real too. I’ve failed to see the upside here for decades, but I guess all that extra misery makes their god happy? Who knows.

7 Likes

It was born around the corner of the house. A nice cool safe place.

3 Likes

We have our share periodically. My front yard is a major highway for the deer who lurk in the area. I startled a young one who had been parked by mama under our bushes by the driveway last year. Mom was across the street taste testing the neighbors greenery. And we have had several just the last week go bouncing past the living room windows with their mom’s.

3 Likes

I haven’t yet seen any fawns around my house this year. But a couple of days ago I did see a young buck chasing a a young doe all the way around my house, down the driveway, and from one end of the meadow to another.
I wanted to yell “get a room guys, get a room!”

3 Likes

probably not mentioned is the impact of health care bills on the family/kids’ lives for years afterwards

4 Likes

Also when one child is severely disabled mentally or physically, they tend to suck up all the resources in the family. Any other kids might find themselves short on everything from parental attention to access to summer camp or college.

4 Likes

It makes them happy.

2 Likes

Same thing.

1 Like

Also not mentioned is the cost to TX for the NICU and other medical care for those hours/days/months. Given that the mothers most likely to not be able to afford a trip out of state for an abortion who rely on the TX version of Medicare, the cost to the taxpayers must be huge.

3 Likes