The Key Ingredients Of Christian Nationalism

More than three thousand years ago the folks in the middle east worshipped female gods complete with women priests, which make sense if you are praying for an abundant crop every year. Then the Levits figured out that the women running the temple had a great gig. They used their muscles to run the women out of the temples. I don’t know for sure if they invented a male god for propaganda purposes or to make the local strong men feel more powerful, but they needed a male god to make sure they held on to the temple. The Levits got the gig and have made a great living without getting their hands dirty for thousands of years.

Do I have any evidence, no, but if you look at what happened historically you realize that something motivated the change from priestesses to priests. Yahweh or Jehovah, no matter what you call him, the god of the Levits is male. Which makes no sense if you think about a monotheistic god of everything. But it makes lots of sense if you want to kick women out of the temple and take over the really easy work of saying mumbo jumbo for profit. .

You might want to read When God Was A Woman by Merlin Stone.

4 Likes

May I ask where you got that spelling? I always saw it as MELCHIZEDEK. Not saying you are wrong, but is this a NEW reading of the name based upon newly-found texts?

1 Like

“Belief” and “believe,” like “faith,” are tricky words in English. I prefer the Latin credo and fides, which survive in English in many forms (not least in banking!). Of course, most versions of the Christian bible rely on Jerome’s Latin… Instead of unpacking the Latin, I’ll tell a story.

My daughter’s BFF, L (to this day and, I predict, till the day either dies and beyond, if there is a beyond), was raised (and remains) an Episcopalian. She’s a Latina and distinguished pediatrician. But I digress. My daughter was raised in a Methodist church, a compromise between my husband and me. I was raised (and will always remain at heart) an Episcopalian. My husband was raised a Southern Baptist but became at UTS a – I don’t know how to describe him. He claims to be some sort of leftist Calvinist, but I don’t buy his intellectual arguments. (I think he is working out growing up in Oklahoma as the son of a civil rights enlightened Baptist minister.) He still goes to church (Congregationalist, this time round). I seldom do (and avoid our NE small town Congregational church altogether, except for funerals – I’d got for baptisms and weddings if there were any in this dying congregation.) Meanwhile, our son is an atheist/agnostic (his partner, a devout Catholic, and I have no idea how they work things out), and our daughter is raising her children Jewish (observant, not just “cultural”), though she hasn’t converted. (I think the beautiful Christmas Eve services at that Methodist church won her forever. Her boyfriend-to become-husband came once – he’d grown up in in a sheltered Jewish world – won him over to understanding. He disdained Christmas trees but permitted a tiny one in their apartment – which he decorated for with her earrings (a love story up there with O’Henry). She and our wonderful son-in-law can get away with a lot in Brooklyn. Yay, Brooklyn!

Just sayin’, religious life can get complicated. So, back to my daughter’s BFF, L. When L was preparing for confirmation, she asked me to be her sponsor, I guess you’d call it. For four or five weeks, maybe six young adolescents, about 13, around a table in a room near but not in the sanctuary. Each child had what I am calling a sponsor. The minister – an amazing man – was there, too. (For those who haven’t been there, there’s a special feeling to such a place. Near to god but far enough away that you could whisper and respectfully challenge.)

The meeting I remember most: the minister asked each adult “sponsor” to talk about a time or times we had doubted about our faith. Each and every one of us talked about our constant doubt, and the minister shared his. The lesson I took away, which I think the minister intended these newly teens take away: doubt is an essential element of faith. You “believe” “as if.”

2 Likes

#GenerationO for Oopsie means Generation Z needs to be saving their own kids’ toys for their baby sisters and uncles.

Jesus did return but left after witnessing the world overrun with corrupt people acting in his name who repudiated everything he had taught.

God is a force within the subconscious and can be perceived (personified) in whatever form one considers suitable.

Did I miss something?

Elevation of Mar a Lago is three friggin’ feet above sea level. It’s practically underwater.
Imagine you or I were wealthy enough to buy this architectural shithole.
Would we even think of buying it? Doubt if chump could give it away.

1 Like

Well…Jesus is (and is not) God. Because there is only one god. Plus his Son (who is also God) and the Holy Spirit (which is also still God).

1 Like

The Ralph Reed tactics of takeover got the far right a long way into control, but the fact is that fanatical Christianity is losing ground among the public in general (see the Pew reports), and white nationalism is losing ground gradually due to demographic change.

1 Like

So, the Russian war against Ukraine, is largely a holy war of the Russian Orthodox against a people that they can pretend are rebelling against the church and so should be conquered and brought into submission. That partly explains why Putin’s war has all along been in many ways quite irrational.

Why not, “Christo-Nazi”?

1 Like

the fact is that fanatical Christianity is losing ground among the public in general (see the Pew reports), and white nationalism is losing ground gradually due to demographic change.

Your statement reflects a foundational assumption that what the people of this country think will continue to matter. How many people opposed Dobbs? Did it stop them? Look at those pictures of Iranians in the 70s. Do you think they prefer the way it is now?

We have to stop thinking that the democratic process alone will fix this. They’ve been proof testing the foundations of democracy for decades, especially with McConnell, but it got into especially high gear with Trump. We need to stabilize those foundations and protect them from further erosion. And I don’t think it’s a given that we’ll succeed.

1 Like

I have said it before and will say it again,woman will never be equal to men until:

1. They can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut and still think they are beautiful, and

2. Change the pronoun all monotheism uses for "God:.

Or to put another way, when discussing Christianity’s view of gender equality or not, within the religion I see no real dispute.

…anyone sincere about holding a Bible would have it open.

Nearly all of the images of Jesus that I saw growing up were of a rather effeminate male figure usually with light brown hair, light skin color and blue eyes. Seemed very unlikely since he was born and lived in the Middle East. This image is more believable.

1 Like

The storm is headed north, well away from Mar a Lago.

No one ever said these people were smart.

Atheist.

Rational

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available