The Key Ingredients Of Christian Nationalism

Christian nationalism has been all over the news lately, but it is neither a new term nor a new phenomenon in American politics. The label gained greater usage during former President Donald Trump’s presidency because of his mobilization of the Christian right around his strongman politics. Interest in the ideology — and the term — grew even more following the January 6 insurrection, where Christian nationalist rhetoric and symbols were on full display, sometimes violently. As Trump acolytes Michael Flynn and Roger Stone enthrall crowds with their Christian nationalist “Reawaken America” tour, and Pennsylvania Republican gubernatorial nominee Doug Mastriano fuses Trump’s stolen election lie with Christian nationalism, its threat to democracy has never been more vividly apparent.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1433629

He’s holding that Bible like he holds a bottle of water.

Because a Bible is every bit as foreign to him as water is to a Diet-Coke-addicted miscreant.

I’m still wondering why that the Bible didn’t go up in flames in his hands.

Which is proof enough that God doesn’t exist.

31 Likes

Yikes.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.”

Originalism indeed. Maybe there’s an unpublished legislative history that we haven’t seen.

31 Likes

This would appear to undercut their “make English the official language” movement.

10 Likes

Oh Yea
Onward Christian soldiers marching into war…

7 Likes

It’s a hustle. Just a grift. Religious folks, particularly those that take it to extremes have proven themselves susceptible to dogma and and claims that have no base in fact. They just “believe” so who better to take advantage of. I doubt the majority of the GOP believe in Christian Nationalism, want it to be or are actually devout. But the gullible rubes that do believe are people and people cast votes. Easy marks. Con them into the fold. Give them another belief system. “you’re not better just because your a Christian but also because you’re a Republican”. Same gullibility traits needed. GOP did a good job bilking these dupes.

32 Likes

What fascinates me is whose Christian beliefs do we believe in.
I know or knew members of of 3 Bible thumping churches who do not agree with each others beliefs.
Many do not like like Catholics and many Catholics do not like them so if these so called Christians take over I predict Holy Wars of Christians against Christians.

31 Likes

One can only hope

11 Likes

As to war.

5 Likes

my bad :weary: :weary:

4 Likes

The sects have sex in common. In particular, the belief that women shouldn’t enjoy it. Paul Ryan came right out and said we need to increase the birth rate. A bunch of Oaf Creeper types agreed, except it should be white women doing the breeding. What it translates into is a world where women are denied sovereignty over their internal organs, in the name of owing the country one last Oopsie, who will be younger than perhaps even their own grandkids.

16 Likes

After 2,000 years as a no-show, nearly half of Americans believe Jesus is returning in the next 50 years.

12 Likes

Posted in the Hive in the Bad Religion thread:
Christian Nationalism is fairly heretical in any orthodox Traditional Christian view:

twitter.com

Roy Edroso (edroso)

43% deny Jesus’ divinity? And some people think Catholics have a cafeteria! twitter.com/jacobhuneycutt…

Jacob Huneycutt ✞ @jacobhuneycutt_

Wow. 65% of American evangelicals deny original sin, and 43% deny Jesus’ divinity. So, literal heretics! But 90%+ are resolute against extramarital sex and abortion. @Kkdumez’s argument that evangelicalism is a culture rather than an set of beliefs has never looked stronger. https://t.co/fsJDmneHVB

3:05 AM - 20 Sep 2022

https://thestateoftheology.com/?utm_medium=instagram&utm_source=linktree&utm_campaign=2022+results+now+available%3A+the+state+of+theology

21 Likes

To me there are two key ingredients of Christian Nationalism:

1. ASSHOLINESS.

2. Belief in Old Testament Jesus.

ETA: Neither of which are found in any true Christian religion.

22 Likes

You left off one key ingredien… False Messiah.

10 Likes

Tim Krider, 1994

25 Likes

This points to the fact that many people identify as Christian, but don’t actually know much about its basic theology.

23 Likes

Wouldn’t be the first time…

Among the Abrahamic religions, only the Jewish branch seems to have generally avoided internecine warfare. (I think. Although the Maccabees may have busted a few heads of their co-religionists.)

10 Likes

I’m old enough to remember when evangelical churches would have NOTHING to do with Catholics. And as for Mormons, they would openly refer to members of LDS as a cult.

17 Likes

Just as long as they leave the rest of us out of it.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available