The John Roberts Guide To Doing A Coup And Not Getting Caught

Originally published at: The John Roberts Guide To Doing A Coup And Not Getting Caught

The Court on Monday imbued former presidents with so much immunity from prosecution — some absolute, some presumptive, but with very little guidance about how to sort official acts into those buckets — that it’ll make it nearly impossible for prosecutors to make criminal cases against them going forward. This is, of course, most immediately…

2 Likes

This “Supreme” court really sucks…

18 Likes

By the end of this day, which is coming fast, every member of the Supreme Court should be in jail, officially declared to be enemies of the state. They gave the president this power, and he should take it.

They must be made to see the consequences of their actions, now, and not under Trump. They open the door, they must be shown what’s on the other side.

19 Likes

Attn: Jack Smith & Judge Chutkan:

Note that the opinion DOES NOT SAY that he gets immunity for talking with DOJ to carry out unofficial acts that also happen to be criminal. Roberts wrote this as an intent-based inquiry. You can drive a truck through this paragraph.

ETA: And again here.

trump, of course, was fucking with state election laws. Drive that truck right on through.

45 Likes

John Roberts and Donald Trump are battling to make themselves King.

America’s death warrant was signed when John Roberts was placed on the Court. He has never failed to undermine democracy. He rarely misses a chance to manufacture an opportunity to undermine democracy.

If good government types don’t overthrow him now, there will never be another chance. The tools for permanent rule by force already exist, and can be purchased off-the-shelf. If we don’t stop these guys here, the human species will be ruled in perpetuity by these monsters and their spawn.

There are, at most, 200 days of democracy left, starting today. If Roberts is still on the Court in 200 days, it’s all over for the human race. We will be consumed by another dark age of greed and despotism, we’ll fail to meet the challenge of climate change, and humanity will be wiped out.

24 Likes

Of course he did. They then completed the circle when they also ruled that you can’t inquire into intent and motivates. Immunity applies even when the POTUS is knowingly and intentionally not taking care and trying to assure that the laws are faithlessly violated and we are not even permitted to look under the hood to assess whether that is, in fact, what was going on.

“Presidential immunity pre-empts state laws.”

There. Neat and tidy (and incoming).

10 Likes

I disagree, but not in any significant way. I just think that we have already lost our democracy. We are at a point now where the forces on the right have so damaged our politics, that the only choice you have if you support democracy is to vote on the left. Furthermore, all disagreement that is internal to the left must be ignored for the sake of democracy. This very fact, The fact that we no longer have a choice, that means that democracy is over.

This is why I am advocating that Biden start acting like a dictator now. It’s going to happen when Trump takes over, so he might as well use whatever power he can’t to try to prevent Trump from taking over. I would even go so far as to say he should dissolve Congress, the Supreme Court, and declare a military dictatorship with a two-year plan for a constitutional convention.

13 Likes

So because Donnie was screwing state election laws, would that mean that if the state’s SC ruled against Donnie, does that mean he couldn’t go whining to the “Roberts Court of Whatever Donnie Wants Donnie Gets?”

3 Likes

The time to test is now! When Ds have the presidency. Immunity? Great. Harris can officially be directed to not certify. Biden can officially declare trump an enemy of the state and imprison him in Guantanamo Bay. Etc. etc.

18 Likes

Trump is like one of those mobsters that everyone knows is guilty, but who always finds a way to evade prosecution. But then again, John Gotti died in a prison hospital. One can hope…

9 Likes

How much longer does King Leo get to reign from his shadow throne?

19 Likes

Obviously I’m being slightly facetious, but only slightly. It really is a matter of Biden taking the power he has been given, or, Trump taking it. Pretending the power doesn’t exist, not using it, losing, and then giving it to Trump? That is a dereliction of duty that history will not forgive.

19 Likes

Last paragraph endorse completely. The time is now to use this immunity to try and preserve what’s left of the US republic. All the talk is, look what trump got, look what trump might get again. How about. Hello? Biden is president now!

14 Likes

The kind of dereliction of duty Obama did when he slumped over and let McConnell steal that SCOTUS seat. He whimpered, “trust the process.” How’s that process going? I admire Obama, but his timidity I’ll never forgive.

19 Likes

I agree. I’m still baffled that Obama didn’t take the silence of the Senate as consent. He just didn’t seem to believe that Trump would win, and it was this failure to imagine the worst that has led to what is now the end of America.

17 Likes

“And the President’s broad power to speak on matters of public concern does not exclude his public communications regarding the fairness and integrity of federal elections simply because he is running for re-election.”

Roberts just revealed himself aa Big Lie adherent. Maybe he believes it and maybe he doesn’t, that’s doesn’t matter: he recognizes and supports its utility to the KKKristofascist project.

23 Likes

The SCOTUS just instituted the Nixon standard.

19 Likes

The Nixon Standard is for Republicans only. Democrats need not apply for this rule.

12 Likes

That one’s not a viable move. Consent has been understood to mean Senate confirmation of the nominee throughout history…and that includes numerous instances where withholding it was understood and acted upon as denial.

Nope. Democracy means you get a vote, not that the vote automatically and necessarily includes the chance to get what you want.

Had Team Unicorn ever understood that, we wouldn’t be in the fucking mess.

3 Likes

Your comments are academic, and they ignore the fact that the Supreme Court has made clear that they are acting in bad faith. You cannot make a good argument with someone who is arguing in bad faith.

22 Likes