The Ghost of Super Tuesday Past - TPM – Talking Points Memo

On March 3, 2020, a fluid and dynamic Democratic primary was calcified. 

South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), having lost their early state momentum by South Carolina, dropped out just before Super Tuesday and threw their support to Joe Biden. Billionaire Tom Steyer did as well, after a disappointing third place finish in the Palmetto State. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1482501
1 Like

I hate making predictions, but Joe Biden is going to be the Democratic nominee. Let’s all calm down, yes, he’s old, but so is his opponent. In addition, TFG is sounding more and more unhinged every day. I hope that President Biden is victorious in November, because the alternative is really too horrible to contemplate.

33 Likes

Most of the people who are going to vote in November haven’t even begun to pay attention yet. The polls are all demonstrable crap, and the fundamentals of the race favor Biden despite our collectively cranky 2020-21 hangover.

42 Likes

Most boring Super Tuesday evah!

With the eventual nominees a foregone conclusion and nothing else to write about, the media will now focus entirely on whether there are enough uncommitted protest votes to sink Biden in November, and why Haley won’t drop out and admit defeat.

10 Likes

Last Super Tuesday, Biden had all but locked up the nomination, finally getting his long-desired stab at the presidency in a moment when he and many others believed the soul of the country was at stake. This Super Tuesday, the task ahead is much the same and the election currently a coin flip, despite a country that is, by nearly every measure, in a much better place.

This is too true, but apparently doesn’t sell much copy.
So, when do we hear, Has Biden Done Enough for Trump Voters’ Economic Anxiety? (ed.)

9 Likes

I’m only watching it for the commercials.

Oh, wait…that’s the Super Bowl…never mind.

28 Likes

But didn’t you hear that Biden is OLD! Therefore, we need to run 200 above-the-fold articles explaining why this is Bad News for Biden. /s

12 Likes

TPM, WTF?

This sentence complete enough for you to post it?

Lord TPM!

3 Likes

You mean Black Democrats, the backbone of the party.

Yet voted for by Black Democrats, including Black women Democrats.

Let’s take that one apart:

Even before Warren imploded early, Trump already owned her. Campaigning on “taxpayer funded transgender surgery for prison inmates”? And caved in, went along with the insane abolishing of private health insurance? She came in third in her own state. No wonder.

Harris imploded even earlier, before the first primary. She couldn’t run her own campaign. Remember?

Kobluchar was and is pretty solid IMHO.

Missing on this list: Bernie Sanders, and his $210 million war chest. How come, Katie?

Only the second Catholic ever elected President.

Shoulda gone more scary; they tend to be more pure.

11 Likes

I want to see Donnie ride a bicycle!! LOL!!!

14 Likes

“The party reflexively reached for the “safest” option, premising the primary on the value of “electability,” thinly-veiled code for who could be the whitest, malest, Christianest, least scary contender,…”

Wtf? As a Biden supporter before he even announced his candidacy in April 2019, I am deeply offended by that. Take it back Kate. His victory in the nominating campaign was way more than that.

17 Likes

Thank you. What a preposterous - and dishonest - re-writing of recent history.

3 Likes

“…Democrats into a panicked tailspin about Biden’s weakness…”

Wrong! This is just like the doom-and-gloom Morning Memo. Buck up TPM. You’re embarassing yourselves.

10 Likes

Funny how nobody ever mentions that trump is running to be the oldest American president in history. If he wins, he’ll even beat Biden’s record.

29 Likes

I am watching Nicole Wallace back on MSNBC. I don’t tune in talking heads but she has a whimsy that is appealing. I never listened in when Bob Menendez’s daughter was hosting. The guests are giving the Biden campaign advice on how to win. Unfortunately, they are talking policy.
It’s not complicated. Biden is old but has his wits about him. Trump is old but has has dementia.

16 Likes

I want to see Donnie look at a bicycle.
Or, in my even more unlikely fantasies, straddle one and pretend like he’s riding it, like he did with the tractor trailer.
I suspect, however, that disparaging comments about bicycles are more likely.

7 Likes

I don’t. I’m against cruelty to bicycles.

12 Likes

boring is GOOD
more boring politics in November please

11 Likes

I remember all the advice he was getting in 2019 and 2020. He did it his way and unseated an incumbent convincingly. He’s been doing this awhile.

18 Likes

woah, I had no idea that was his daughter.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available