The Final Sprint: Campaign Ramps Up In Closing Days | Talking Points Memo

The finish line is in sight. President Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden are hitting the trail in the final week of the campaign. Trump has two rallies scheduled in Arizona Wednesday, while Biden is scheduled to deliver remarks on his plan to combat the COVID-19 pandemic.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1340980
1 Like

It is shaping up to be a massive Trump defeat. The real question is how many Republicans go down with him.

29 Likes

Goddamn straight that Texas is a tossup.

41 Likes

It makes me wish I could see into the future by just one week. I have a full day at the polls on Tuesday and a full day at Target, starting at 8:30a, on Wednesday. My celebration may be delayed, but it may not be over on Tuesday, so the distraction Wednesday will be welcome.

24 Likes

Good fucking riddance.
The man is a toxin. The sooner we flush him and his enablers out of the system, the sooner the polity can heal.

22 Likes

No, republicans, that isn’t someone’s cheap aftershave. That’s unbridled fear you smell.

6 Likes

This might be an outlier, but I could imagine a 9-10 point lead. This race I’m guessing is even harder to poll, with the uncertainties about where and when and whether people will vote, anecdotal massive youth turnout, the number of people too sick or dead (esp in WI) to vote, suppression, etc. But Biden appears to be well positioned regardless.

8 Likes

As many as possible of these enablers. We won’t be able to emerge from our failed state status until this party is crushed, burned and turned to cinders.

22 Likes

From another thread…I’ll stick this in:

[Democrats can do a lot in four to five days.

We had better.

I can still sense that we may have the correct mix of confidence/optimism and caution/resolve that we need.

Ambrose, when writing about D-Day, made several points about preparation, resolve and individuals for whom “getting the job DONE”** was a greater factor than all the handwringing implied in articles like this one.

There are decent plans (which a Congresswoman who talked with O’Donnell pointed out)…the nub is Execution and I know what she meant… than each person who wants Trump gone is going to have to make the best effort that they can possibly achieve .

**The reader of Ambrose’s work comes away with the impression that it was the inventiveness, zeal in adapting to conditions on the ground and RESOLVE of personnel ranging from private to general, along with Company Grade and Non-Commissioned Officers, which made Overlord a success]

The better the news gets for us, the angrier I get. That does not make common sense, but it makes social sense. People who despair are not angry. They are beaten. Trump tries to dominate and make people despair, even NOW, when he is, literally, falling apart

24 Likes

About time.

And a lot of people deserve a lot of credit for helping to make it happen.

27 Likes

Trump, mostly. He woke up a hell of a lot of Dems whose votes haven’t mattered for most of their lives.

32 Likes

That’s not anecdotal. The numbers are real.

23 Likes

As of yesterday in Wisconsin, only 0.1% of absentee ballots have been rejected

As of Tuesday, clerks reported problems with just 1,506 absentee ballots out of 1.45 million submitted, with 967 of them returned to voters so that they could be corrected. The remaining 539 were rejected for a variety of reasons that don’t necessarily mean the voters who submitted them didn’t get to vote. The numbers do not include ballots that had mistakes that were corrected and have already been returned to clerks’ offices.

The clerks will work to get those 539 corrected as well. State law doesn’t require clerks to give voters the opportunity to correct errors, but it is what’s recommended by the bipartisan Election Commission. Officially, “no ballot ever gets rejected before Election Day,” said state Elections Commission spokesman Reid Magney.

24 Likes

Especially the worst punk rocker in the world, Beto O’Rourke!

40 Likes

Word.

The man has worked so hard!

26 Likes

Some people are turned off by him, even Democrats and others on the left.

I’ve never found him to be anything but a positive influence.

21 Likes

I have tears in my eyes just thinking about him. Even his POTUS run was a set-up for this.

15 Likes

The best whines of 2020 are of Supreme vintage…

20 Likes

His instinct is to ORDER people to vote for him. That cannot be forgotten or overstated.

14 Likes

Texas is almost a country unto itself. Great music, great roadkill diversity, and great humor. Texans do understand business, or “bidnes”. Oil or “awl” prices have been solidly at $40 a barrel, and the commodity squeeze will continue through the pandemic. They see China with a growing economy and Trump’s non-suppression nonsense, and correctly conclude that Trump has hurt them and their interests.

15 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available