The Coup That Almost Succeeded - TPM – Talking Points Memo

TruMP is too FRAIL to assauLT SS.

9 Likes

Unfortunately it could be. As I mentioned yesterday, with all due respects to the witness, she’s still a hardened GOP MAGA type who suddenly had a moment of clarity, a year and a half after the fact, trying to saving face and neck

7 Likes

Why was Eric Herschmann writing his notes on “Chief of Staff” paper?

Let’s see Hershmann’s handwriting. I can believe Hershmann wrote out his own statement for Trump to read, but I do not think he is contradicting what Hutchinson testified.

44 Likes

Doubt it. Remember the three types of responses she described? I imagine most people in the first group wrote out what they’d have liked Trump to say and tried to get it to Meadows. And it’s very difficult to perfectly remember every detail of a situation like this. You can imagine what the day was like there.

19 Likes

Let’s not go there trying to discredit Hutchinson on the vehicle fiasco. All these idiots with their opinions as to what went on in the vehicle don’t have a clue.
Let’s not focus on what the tRump defenders have to say. Crazy is crazy and Hutchinson was not the only one person to witness this stuff. There are hundreds more with tidbits of information.
Don’t doubt for a minute what this woman testified to.

21 Likes

“She lied. Trump could not have attacked the driver. Here’s this picture to prove it! See right there?! Glass partition, and ‘only Trump has a button to lower it!’”

12 Likes

You are being too kind to the witness.

Again, last I checked it’s not a crime to be politically conservative. You can argue that it’s some kind of moral failing, but you have to recognize other people see it differently. And she’s potentially risking her life and everything else to do what’s right for this society. Although many seem to hold it, I find the belief that she’s some unregenerate monster who had a good impulse one day, like Frankenstein with the little girl before he killed her, just a bit ungenerous and a little cruel, and if you can’t lighten up then you’re pretty hardened yourself.

39 Likes

GinnieThomas married to the greatest legal mind in the galaxy is too scared to speak under oath? Isn’t there an old adage that those who take the fifth or are too scared to speak under oath are guilty or hiding something…

20 Likes

Agreed. I think we should all just choose to believe what Mark Meadows has testified to publicly, at least his accounts are firsthand.

1 Like

How hardened are you with anything at 25? Just because that’s where she was for 5 years doesn’t mean she won’t change.
Don’t think she’s in this to save her skin. She could have testified to the committee 6 months ago and come to believe she’s doing the right thing.
Stop the cynicism.

15 Likes

She DOEsN"T eveN recogNIze her OWn handwriting!

8 Likes
45 Likes

All of them are guilty of not finding their conscious before the committee started asking questions.

But she was 20-24 years old during the tfg era—the age of an undergraduate, beginner in grad school age. She’s incredibly brave to testify. The witness tampering must be very real and very scary. As Lady Ruby said, the president of the United States is supposed to represent you, not threaten you.

But my point is I just can’t see the committee, her attorneys, making any mistake, however small. The stakes are way too high.

30 Likes

Trump would have been too terrified that the SS guy would fight back! /s

2 Likes

Come on down!

The MO for the RW is simply to get out a counter narrative ASAP. It’s about creating doubt and forging a narrative about the controversy. We’ve seen this time and again. It didn’t matter whether or not the Ukrainians were actually investigating Hunter Biden. It was enough just to put it out there for the media to feast on it.

I have no idea what Ms Hutchinson’s motives were in this case. I don’t expect that she’ll be 100% accurate about events 1.5 y later. But she willingly put herself out in front of the GOP character destruction machine and I’m going to wait to see if these dudes show up before the committee. Keep in mind they have a lot to lose here.

64 Likes

I’d imagine that she’d be very happy if none of this came to light. I wonder why she came forward only after being subpoenaed. She had almost 18 months to volunteer her info.

1 Like

As far as I can figure out, the dispute over who wrote the note isn’t a major problem. Hutchinson and Herschmann were both trying to get Trump to call off the rioters, basically both on the same team, and there’s a dispute about who actually wrote it.

I would assume the committee has done handwriting analysis to verify Hutchinson’s account. The problem seems to be that Herschmann testified before the committee that he wrote the note, so… whoops. Both were under oath, and Herschmann may be panicking a bit over that. Of course the MAGA crowd will try to weaponize this to attack Hutchinson’s credibility.

10 Likes

You would indeed be imagining that. You have no idea what she’s thought and felt all this time. Did she sound scared to you? She did to me. Scared but brave. I guess I have some sympathy for that, and admiration.

39 Likes

I had high expectations for the J6 Committee, but so far it is exceeding them! Ironically, the biggest single winner may be Rick DeSantis. The hearings are ‘clearing the field’ for a smoother candidate to represent ‘Trumpism without Trump’. As detestable as Gov. DeSantis may be, he is going to be hard to beat. I already see MSM reports suggesting that President Biden will be too old to run, and that VP Harris is not a viable candidate. I will be very interested in what VP Harris does in the coming months. Is Mr. Trump toast? Probably not, but with Roe overturned and the conservative majority solidified on the SC, the GOP may decide that ‘his services are no longer required…’.

12 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available