The Biggest Mystery Of January 6 Remains Unsolved

Originally published at: Inside The Unsolved Mystery Of The Capitol Pipe Bomber

The Capitol Hill Pipe Bomber left a trail of frustration and fears ahead of the next election.

The FBI’s “we’re working tirelessly behind the scenes” can be translated as “nah, we got nothin’”

13 Likes

If there’s a tattoo on one end of each pipe bomb, we know who’s behind it.

I don’t know what the answer is, but what seems really scary to me is will this lead to more surveillance of the population?

3 Likes

Can’t get into the Morning Memo today.
Anybody know what’s up with that?

5 Likes

@kelaine Today it’s my turn. I cannot get into comments on the Morning Memo, and I can’t remember how to get access to the backdoor.

4 Likes

When I go to The Weekend article it only shows 200+ comments, but I think there’s over 1000 comments.

Could the reason be these guys?

Maybe they didn’t like our weekend pun fun?

7 Likes

You can’t get much more surveillance than what’s already all around DC.

It was interesting to me that the one neighbor had the instinct to open the windows in front and back of his house in case bomb went off creating a pressure wave. I would not have thought of that in the heat of the moment…if at all…

And no doubt the dog walking with possible pipe bombs laying around would really tweak my sense of security too tightly.

8 Likes

I was thinking more like trackers inserted in all of us.

2 Likes

To get into this morning’s Morning Memo comment thread, try this link -

7 Likes

Ack!
Noooooooo!
:laughing:

3 Likes

Now I have two unsolved mysteries to untangle, and resolve.

David Kurtz says that Hunter’s “The biggest mystery of Jan 6 remains unsolved” is a “must read,”
and that WaPo’s “The CIA analyst who triggered Trump’s first impeachment asks: Was it worth it?” was only a “good read?” (In today’s MM.)

What do I try to solve first? I only have so much time –
:thinking:

1 Like

It’s the Secret Service. A member in their ranks planted the bombs. That’s why they won’t ‘solve’ it. Sorry, but I think that’s why Harris came within 20 feet of it. They were hoping she would be blown up. I know it sounds crazy, but I think they had something to do with it.

2 Likes

My hypothesis:

1. The bombs were credible, but the kitchen-style 1-hour timers were never set. If they had been set, the bombs would have detonated in the middle of the night, which would have upset the following day’s planned attack on the Electoral College proceedings.

2. If item (1) is correct, that probably means they were intended to distract law enforcement from the insurrection festivities. I expect that means somebody connected with the incident intended to contact law enforcement (via burner phone) to report the bombs in order to get law enforcement focused elsewhere.

3. But item (2) got preempted by a regular citizen spotting the very obviously not hidden pipe bombs before our bad actor was going to phone it in.

4. So the bad actor is somebody who knew shit was going to go down on J6, but not somebody who actually intended to explode the bombs. A feint. Likelihood of PB/OK ties approaching 95%.

15 Likes

Surprising that FBI and D’Antuono (discouraged the classified documents investigation), went silent after an apparently incomplete investigation. /s

3 Likes

You had me going there, right up until I remembered that – when it comes to Trump – the stoopidest explanation is usually the most plausible.

(Even Trump’s “smartest” co-conspirators could’ve been outwitted by the Howard brothers, and probably weren’t playing eleventy-dimensional chess.)

5 Likes

There is definitely a certain segment of the population that should be under constant surveillance.

This is true of trump, but the suspect is somebody who had the capability to assemble two actual pipe bombs, planted them outside both major parties’ HQ’s, and elected not to set the timers, all on the eve of a pre-planned insurrection. Occam’s Razor does not suggest that this was a legitimate effort to blow up party HQ’s, so it was probably aimed at being something else.

ETA: And who plays around with making pipe bombs? Militia types, such as PB’s and OK’s.

5 Likes

Like a decoy? to get the coppers and g-women and men-in-black off the trail of the REAL militias in charge (Bannon, Josh Hawley, Roger Stone, Old Boys, Rudy Tootey, and the Oaf Keepers, etc…) Brilliant! Call Eric Herschmann and put the thumb screws on him – didn’t he know everything at the time, or did he just act that way? /s in case I needed to add.

1 Like

I seem to recall that a whole lot of people who lived on Embassy Row in D.C. took great precautions because so many people were car-bombing government entities that someone here didn’t like. You get to know your neighborhoods and surroundings, if you are smart and want to live a long life…

2 Likes