The Absurdity At The Heart Of Trump’s Historic Criminal Trial

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo. Sign up for the email version.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1485888
2 Likes

74 Likes

It’s Stormy Monday.

35 Likes

ErecTION interference!

39 Likes

120 Likes

51 Likes

67 Likes

The three big themes of TPM’s trial coverage will be (i) the historic first of a former president on criminal trial; (ii) accountability at long last for Trump himself; (ii) his ongoing corrosive attacks on the rule of law and the justice system.

The Justice System, itself, will also be on trial, here with this case. This is, without need to mention, an unprecedented event, and we’ve all witnessed Justices at every level pretend that they are capable of administering fair and equal justice under the law when it comes to the former orange man-child. We’ve also looked on in horror and reduced expectations as a result of those Justices’ decisions and actions. Do our laws and our Constitution apply to every American, or are some “special” people exempt?

55 Likes

Got to love it.

DJT stock in Pre-Market trading down 13% already (for pre-market that’s “yuge” IIRC) and is not really bouncing back now that market is open.

Someone should check on Tomato Ketchup Futures.

52 Likes

He’s looking a little peaky this morning and it looks like his blowdryer didn’t do the trick on the bird’s nest or dead weasel he has on the top of his head.

Melania isn’t there either. What a surprise. NOT.

38 Likes

IMG_4746

57 Likes

Like most sword and sorcery stories, the villain’s greatest strength is also his greatest weakness. I heard a comment in a weekend news program that reinforced what I have been thinking for a long time: It is the ‘circus’ that is going to sink Mr. Trump’s re-election bid. People are going to decide that they just don’t want 4 more years of this.

65 Likes

Suckers will be happy to get in cheap.

46 Likes

CNBC says it was down more than 17% in pre-market trading. Looks like a sell-off or an unloading of stock is happening before it shrinks to being a shitty penny stock.

52 Likes
Trump enters courtroom...

web on alert

trump emits a thunderous fart

Web goes berserk

30 Likes

I heard that!

15 Likes

Jerry Dean McLain, 71, the owner of a tree removal service in Oklahoma who put almost his entire nest egg into Trump Truth Social stock and has watched the share price plummet since its IPO last month

It’s almost immoral not to rip this guy up. He deserves to spend his retirement easting cat food.

41 Likes

Trump’s solution, with the help of the tabloid National Enquirer, was a scheme to pay Daniels for her silence. He actually wrote her checks. Checks! The scheme continued after Trump won the election – while he was in the White House.

This description is seriously mistaken. Trump did not write checks to Stormy Daniels. Trump wrote checks to reimburse Michael Cohen who had previously taken out a HELOC to pay $130,000 to Stormy Daniels for her silence as part of an NDA agreement.

If Trump had written checks to Stormy Daniels directly, and not claimed that these were a business expense, then he would not be on trial today. He was allowed to pay hush money out of his own pocket.

67 Likes

Former President Trump held a rally last night," Welker said. “He did not mention the issue of abortion. But earlier this week, he noted that abortion laws are left up to the states. He said he wouldn’t support a national ban. How concerned are you that his efforts to straddle the line could effectively weaken this issue for Democrats?”
Whitmer wasn’t having it.

“Well, I think your phraseology “straddle the line” is generous. He’s lied. He’s lied over and over again to the people of this country,” Whitmer said. " The only person who should be deciding whether and when to have a child is a woman, the people she loves and trusts, and her doctor. Period."

86 Likes

Morning Memo: “Seeking to play his hush money trial off against the Mar-a-Lago documents case, Trump is seeking new delays in the Florida case even though U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon set deadlines in the case with the New York case already in mind.”

Oh, I’m sure Cannon will offer some extensions.

27 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available