The 5 Biggest Bombshells In The Woodward-Costa Book | Talking Points Memo

Good lord. Next they’ll be accusing him of being an artificially animated corpse. Madness.

3 Likes

And the always watchable Eva Marie Saint who fell in love with Cary Grant on a train.

3 Likes

Accepting that Woodward/Costa have the story right, I offer two ‘excepts’ for Ethics_Gradient: "Quayle wasn’t heroic, he just said what any decent person would have said.”

… except that Republicans - if not all, certainly those in public life - are presumptively indecent. There could be an interesting conversation about where lies the bar for Republicans for indecency. I would argue that it is laying on the ground at least for active politicos like Pence, if not for folks out of the public limelight like Quayle. My take on Quayle based on his public record is that he is shallow and opportunistic. That would not make him necessarily indecent. But I presume that he still identifies as a Republican (thus the Pence reach out). So, this matter is murky. But still, a Republican evidencing decency when the fate of the country and the world is literally on the line is at least extraordinary.

… except that this was as serious a conversation as one might imagine in the heat of the moment, where Pence was pressuring someone of some stature to give him permission to knuckle under to Trump to relieve the Trumpian hot breath on his neck.Thus, the reach out to a fellow Indiana US Vice President, Quayle, playing golf everyday/all day in Arizona while doing something for a hedge fund and hanging around a variety of board directorships; i.e.: a ‘full life.’. And Dan Quayle could have punted (‘You gotta do what you think best, Mike’). But he did not do that. Dan Quayle was up to a moment that would have stressed any of us. And I am still stunned that I am using the words Dan Quayle’ and ‘heroic’ in the same sentence.

And this has been a trip down memory lane, so thanks for that…

2 Likes

Woodward was not in the room and I am certain that is not an exact quote. Almost certainly what he was saying was that their backchannel comms would not leave Li in any doubt about our intentions.

5 Likes

And she still won the popular vote by 3 million votes! Hillary Clinton was robbed as was the entire country. 650,000 deaths later and a crashed economy and people still don’t get it.

4 Likes

She always has a home at FOX News.

2 Likes

The real difficulty will be finding “a jury of his peers”. Who would they be? Jefferson Davis? Bonnie & Clyde? Idi Amin Dada? Kim Yong Un? Bernie Madoff? Harvey Weinstein? Only seven so far, with four of them dead and two non-Americans. It will be quite a challenge.

1 Like

Because she’s been relentlessly attacked by the Reich Wing noise machine for 30 years. Rethuglickers have always been terrified of Hillary because she’s smart and ambitious. They hate Kamala Harris too.

2 Likes

A jury of peers does not mean a bunch of like-minded people. It simply means a jury of people drawn from the geographic community. If MAGA Mike travels from South Bumstead, Alabama to participate in the J6 insurrection, he gets a jury panel consisting of citizens residing in D.C.

5 Likes

I’ve had some luck with alcohol - if I can get them to consume enough of it, they will not remember their interactions with him, which gives everybody plausible deniability…

2 Likes

You need a sarcasms tag, someone might take you seriously.

Common sense is absent in the anti vax groupies. You can be sure that absence causes all sorts of dysfunctions in their lives.

Are they ever going to do a series on Discovery’s “90 day fiance” about Melania?

2 Likes

Your objection is duly noted. Both cats and vaginas are of far greater value and offer more benefits than that sniveling Pence any day.

1 Like

“This is fucked up and this is a political event and I’m out of here. We’re getting the fuck out of here. I’m fucking done with this shit.”

Milley left the group before they arrived at the church.

5 Likes

Yeah - everybody wears fatigues nowadays. I ran into a couple of soldiers in ACUs in the pub the other day, both looking like they were getting ready to parachute behind enemy lines.

“Appreciate your service…what do you guys do?”

“Us? Oh…we’re in the band.”

2 Likes

Yeah, and when they started doing it I figured it was a sign that the military had adopted a “we’re permanently at war from now on” mentality. I thought at the time (I still do, but I thought it at the time*) that this was a bad sign - abandoning the idea that they should present themselves as professionals first, and reserve the grandstanding for the Meal Team Six types. Maybe we can see this reversed, now we’re actually out of the 20 Years War…

*(H/T to Mitch Hedberg for this one…)

1 Like

Is the DOJ going to pursue any of the crimes listed in this book?

Believe it or not, I was aware of that fact. I used the stylistic method known as irony.

You know how they are… going for billable time even if you are aware of that fact, telling you again, is billable. I had an estate attorney try to bill me a 1/4 hour for sending me a link to a website in an email, to the wrong info.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available