The 5 Biggest Bombshells In The Woodward-Costa Book | Talking Points Memo

The initial reports on the contents of the new book by Washington Post reporters Bob Woodward and Robert Costa came trickling in this afternoon.  

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1387419
3 Likes

In conversations with senior staff, Milley reportedly likened Jan. 6 to the 1905 Russian Revolution, which was put down by the Tsar but presaged the successful 1917 revolutions that overthrew the country’s government.

I can see why Republicans don’t want Milley reading books or studying history.

95 Likes

The book says that Trump himself told Pence “I don’t want to be your friend anymore if you don’t do this,” and later said: “You’ve betrayed us. I made you. You were nothing.”

39 Likes

““Things may look unsteady,” the New York Times reported Milley as saying,

but that’s the nature of democracy, General Li.”

26 Likes

116 Likes

“What you might have seen was a precursor to something far worse down the road…”

Milley has a Bachelor’s in politics from Princeton; his thesis was “A Critical Analysis of Revolutionary Guerrilla Organization in Theory and Practice”. He’s also got a Master’s from Columbia in International Relations and a Master’s in National Security and Strategic Studies from the Naval War College. Maybe we should listen to him.

119 Likes

Jesus. How prescient and correct she is.

95 Likes

Milley is one smart cookie. Bless him.

39 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

IT SEEms like MILley is THE reaL insurrecTIONIST.

29 Likes

In one episode, retired Gen. Keith Kellogg, who served as Pence’s national security adviser, was in the White House with Trump while he watched the insurrection unfold on television.

Kellogg urged Trump to act.

“You really should do a tweet,” Kellogg said, according to the authors. “You need to get a tweet out real quick, help control the crowd up there. This is out of control. They’re not going to be able to control this. Sir, they’re not prepared for it. Once a mob starts turning like that, you’ve lost it.”

“Yeah,” Trump said. The authors write, ‘Trump blinked and kept watching television.

90 Likes

Dan Quayle as the voice of reason.
First Bush and now Quayle.
Strange days.

162 Likes

McConnell knew Trump was nuts. But…becuz judges…

91 Likes

He is one of those college boys. All highfaluting with their book larn’n.

8 Likes

It is just another example of how low the bar is for Republicans to be “reasonable” or “moderate”.

25 Likes

N tax breaks

25 Likes

WHY do theY cUT off BIden’s MIKE???

22 Likes

“What you might have seen was a precursor to something far worse down the road,” the book quotes him as saying.

And this is why we need to have consequences for the 1/6 insurrection. Traitors need to be treated like traitors. Treason needs to be treated like treason.

107 Likes

The select committee needs to get those folks to testify. I want it on record, on camera.

88 Likes

McConnell was living on the edge to get what he wanted. It almost cost all of us. And that story is still being written as it is.

In reading the excerpts from the book earlier, I realized my heart was pounding again. We said the guy was nuts and unfortunately we were too damn correct in that view.

So the question I have for people in general, how solid do you think the Woodward-Costa reporting is? I know the general sense of that answer, but deep down, are they good?

31 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available