Texas Secretary Of State Claims There’s Not Enough Paper For Voter Registration Forms | Talking Points Memo

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things.

The Texas Secretary of State’s office will be sending out fewer voter registration forms this year because of a “paper shortage” and “the cost constraints due to the price of paper and the supply of paper,” according to the office’s spokesperson.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1401752
1 Like

“Paper shortage”, eh?

The lame just get lamer and lamer.

(Asshole.)

50 Likes

Texas: There aren’t any voter suppression laws. Just follow the procedures and fill out all the right paperwork and you will be fine.
Also Texas: Sorry, Houston, we don’t have enough copies of the proper paperwork for you to fill out. We had to ship them all out to the counties with less than 10,000 people

55 Likes

It’s lame, because there are other ways to register. But I work in purchasing in the printing business, and there is a real paper shortage. We can’t get it. What used to deliver in one to seven days, now takes several months. I don’t know why, but I think it’s a combination of a lot of factors - pandemic, no young paper mill workers (because it is a dying business) and the older ones retired during the pandemic, etc…

38 Likes

They can just buy some of those bamboo-paper ballots from Gyna.

30 Likes
  • Democrats’ sweeping voting rights legislation would require all states to offer online registration.

My cats have legislation pending that would assure open cans of tuna are scattered throughout the house. And if I insist on filibustering the sofa arms get it.

10 Likes

I guess they have plenty of printers and ink.

I’m sending a ream of paper to the TX Secretary of State today. Who’s with me?

Texas Secretary of State
Elections Division
1019 Brazos St.
Austin, TX 78701

17 Likes

Abbott’s scientists charge a fee on outside paper donations, to cover the cost of an independent lab analysis screening for bamboo fibers.

23 Likes

These kind of forms (especially when millions must be printed) aren’t printed on reams of paper. They’re printed on rolls of paper - tons of rolls of paper, 1,000 lb rolls of paper - and printing manufacturing plants can’t get it right now. We in the business are scrambling as to what to do.

32 Likes

I wish it was funny that the few semi-sane Republican operatives are so hapless before the goons of greater Trumpistan. But as it is, the situation leaves me more concerned as to where this all leads.

Our nation needs two parties that, despite profound disagreements, still believe in the basic precepts of democracy. Sadly, that is no longer the case.

25 Likes

Well, when you figure it out, order some extra for TX.

10 Likes

Trump’s ex-cronies had a conference call last Monday to discuss what to do about the mad king, and came away from the call realizing they can’t do anything about the mad king. Ex-White House chief of staff John Kelly participated in the call.

Because they surely can’t grant interviews where they speak out forcefully against tfg, or campaign against tfg, or volunteer information to the Jan. 6th committee or to prosecutors, or tell the truth about what they know about tfg.

Doing the right and honorable thing is out of the question because, you know, they’re spineless quislings.

12 Likes

Paper shortage y’say?
Ask trump, he’s got plenty…

Or go to any Staples or Office Max store.
Geeze Abbott

7 Likes

Suppressing age 65+ voters to pwn the libs.

(Age 65+ are basically the only people eligible to vote by mail in Texas.)

34 Likes
  • James also argued that Trump’s testimony is necessary to her investigation , along with that of his adult children, Donald Trump, Jr. and Ivanka Trump.

More than a few people are seemingly now in the position of begging Trump for his testimony, as opposed to the courts promptly ruling he has to give it.

“Pretty please, won’t someone throw this investigation a lifeline?!” is the order of the day now. Meanwhile Trump just hums along, business as usual…

2 Likes

“New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu ® said that he was turned off by the idea of a 2022 Senate bid when he discovered through conversations with Republican senators that their whole thing is about doing nothing.”

And this was news to him?

Seriously, this should be included in a bunch of 2022 ads

37 Likes

And just where is the Department of Justice in all of this?

Let’s try:
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001

The Department may be contacted at the following:
Department Comment Line: 202-353-1555
Department of Justice Main Switchboard: 202-514-2000
TTY/ASCII/TDD: 800-877-8339
https://www.justice.gov/contact-us
https://www.justice.gov/doj/webform/your-message-department-justice

Time for them to wake up and engage this nonsense in a serious manner.

4 Likes

Yes, many shortages of such basic things, for a variety of reasons.

But, as you say, there are many ways to register and they should be publicizing those. Dollars to donuts, they aren’t. :smirk:

13 Likes

This is funny in two ways:

• he is admitting that the plan is to do nothing
  • he is admitting that someone had to explain this to him
30 Likes

More lies is his business.

11 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available