Texas Secretary Of State Claims There’s Not Enough Paper For Voter Registration Forms | Talking Points Memo

The president of the League of Women Voters of Texas, a voting rights group, says the Secretary of State’s office told her to look for donations instead of relying on the government for the forms

Remember the outrage when Zuck and his group donated to the last election? Bet he’s got enough money that he could get his hands on the right paper. Someone who has some can be handsomely rewarded.

11 Likes

This has shades of one of the dirty tricks the GOP secretary of state in Ohio(?) pulled in iirc 2004, where they rejected all registration forms not printed on the proper weight of paper, because reasons. I think a court eventually told them to stop, but not before much of the damage had been done.

And this just shows how low a priority republicans give to letting people vote. You’re never going to hear that they’re sending police out on patrols unarmed because bullets cost too much.

Meanwhile, I like the bank/tax fraud material coming out at the same time as more about the 1/6 conspiracy – it’s sort of like a pincer movement.

28 Likes

Ms. James, how about you try this approach:

New York Attorney General Letitia James’ office says it DEMANDS the testimony of former President Donald Trump and two of his adult children

5 Likes

Zinger!

4 Likes

I don’t know about registration forms, but this was certainly the case for absentee ballot applications. The requirement was 24 lb paper where most printers and copies were/are stocked with 20 lb.

8 Likes

What I understood is that 65+ generally vote for Republicans. Are they deliberately suppressing their own vote, then?

Makes no sense.

6 Likes

Basically, it sounds like he was told …we want you to run … because we think you can win … but then … you know that stuff that you want to try to do? …yeah, well fugitabout it … we don’t want you doing anything… sit on your hands …
U tilde have total control … and then we will tell you what you can do.

7 Likes

When my dad retired us to Texas, After a few years I swore I was going to go elsewhere. That was many decades ago. Haven’t made it yet. Life is like that. But damn, here I sit, still in Texas.

Thanks dad.

9 Likes

This could just be James firing a shot across the bow of the Chumptanic.

4 Likes

Sounded like Ohio. Sure enough that a-hole Kenneth Blackwell

Just weeks before the deadline to register, Kenneth Blackwell, Ohio’s secretary of state, instructed the state’s county boards of election to reject registrations on paper of less than 80-pound stock – the sort used for paperback-book covers and postcards, compared with the 20-to-24-pound stock in everyday use.

23 Likes

Absolutely craven. I hope they know that Americans are fundamentally contrarian by nature. They can’t pull any of that 104% voted for Trump crap and expect it to fly.

What’s more, the states they need to pull this off in are not Texas, particularly, but Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania, and those folks are not God-happy snakehandlers and stone-cold followers at all.

These two states are within living memory of what it was to have strong unions and real representation. They might have gone for Trump one time, but these are actual Americans, you cannot take something from them without a fight.

12 Likes

As I understand it, this is a court filing. So when James says her people need that testimony, what she’s doing is asking the court (politely) to compel them to give it.

19 Likes

With the 50% rejection rate for absentee ballot requests, yes. This is to register new voters. As in GOTV register more Dems.

8 Likes

They are deliberately redressing Donald Trump’s dumb 2020 electoral grievances, which because he and they are both incredibly stupid means making vote by mail harder, which suppresses the votes of Texas oldsters.

Tricksy hobbit Briscoe Cain endorses this message.

18 Likes

From what I have read, a freshman senator is basically told “Sit down and be quiet, and we’ll tell you when you can say something.”

2 Likes

No, it is not. This story is about VBM ballot requests only. Voter registration is separate, can be done entirely by mail, and is still pretty easy.

10 Likes

80lb paper? … that’s “card stock” … ludicrous… and stipulations like that should be criminal

11 Likes

The senators also apparently didn’t have an answer when Sununu asked them why they didn’t do anything in 2017 and 2018, when the GOP had the White House.

That’s easy. Republicans had the White House and the Senate. They didn’t have the House.
They had all three in the previous two years and passed the tax cuts for the wealthy. I shudder to think what the next two years would have looked like.

10 Likes

This is but one of dozens of “shots across the bow” she’s unloaded on Trump and the media. It’s getting tiresome. Put up or shut up. We’ve all grown tired of hearing about how it essentially takes 9 years to bring a person to justice in this country for any infraction above the level of jaywalking. The United States defeated the Axis and moved on to the Marshall Plan in less time than our legal system has been able to deal with Trump’s multitude of crimes. Something’s amiss if you can win a world war quicker than you can investigate, indict, try and convict someone for garden variety financial crimes.

5 Likes

I’m back to a question that needs to be thought about in many contexts here:

What will the courts say?

What will the courts say to challenges to Texas not meeting whatever laws apply (Federal and State), and constitutions (Federal and State) for conducting voting, ballots, etc. Lawsuits can be filed naming the state as well as this Secretary of state for not meeting the needs of democracy.

But I’m interested in extending this thinking. What about the state laws which the voter rights bill is targeting and is in the news in terms of a carve-out for the filibuster not happening? Are those state laws constitutional (Federal and State)? Are they subject to court action? Will there be court filings? It’s great to talk about a federal voter rights bill, but, if one is not in the offing, ought not some good attorneys be looking at making filings to protest these state laws on… ostensibly filings which actually hold water and are not grandstanding?

I don’t know the answers but I sure wish some reporters would look into these questions by contacting constitutional scholars, etc.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available