Texas’ New Voting Restrictions Cause Spike In Rejected Ballot Requests

Equal Protection applies to people, not voting procedures, which the Constitution expressly confers to the authority of the states (unless Congress decides to regulate elections itself).

1 Like

The clay tablets were damn heavy when I was in high school there.

4 Likes

I think I called it correctly the other day. This legislation that made these changes didn’t have any language about curing the mistakes, or even a system to set and see what ID # one used all those years ago.
I would hope that the voting laws that Sinema and Manchin seem dead set against would have covered this kind of chicanery. In this day and age where every one moves around-a lot, I think being able to register in each state should be the easy and the same.

If this happened in MO I think I’d be safe using the last four digits of my SS#, because when I registered to vote in high school our DL# was our SS#.

3 Likes

And remembering where one left that damn stylus drove plenty of people crazy.

1 Like

If what you say is true, which at this point I am not disputing, please explain Bush v Gore.

1 Like

The rationale of Bush v. Gore was that the state was failing to recount the votes using uniform standards, such that some people’s ballots would get counted while similarly situated voters would not have theirs counted. So the Equal Protection clause protected the voters, but it did not prescribe any specific voting procedures the state had to use.

4 Likes

The kids today, they just don’t know. Today they have the ITablet with the convenient cover with the built in Stylus holder.

1 Like

Are Texas Repubs shooting women in their dicks as well? Asking for a friend.

1 Like

Headline: Republican Registration/Voting Down over XX% in Latest Election
Body: Texas Governor and Secretary of State demand audit to determine how the Democrats managed to suppress Republican voting in the latest election.

4 Likes

Happy Subpoena Day Everybody!!!

Guiliani…come on down!

3 Likes

I like the way “preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States of America” has become a radical, far left idea.

4 Likes

DeBeauvoir also said a state database that could hold some of the historical information was blank for Travis County,…

…Harris County, Bexar County, and Dallas County, counties which contain the cities of Austin, Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas, respectively, the four largest cities in Texas, all of which contain Democratic majorities.

C’mon, y’all know that’s the other shoe waiting to drop.

Man, with so many outright violations of the ADA, 14th A., and dog knows what else, DOJ better be teeing up a load of federal civil rights suits.

4 Likes

Let’s Make a Deal!

2 Likes

We voted by mail in the Pres election, I have to say it was more of a pain in the Ass then voting in person. I still wonder if it was counted. I won’t do it again.

2 Likes

Next stop for Texas - you can vote if you are a white Christian property owning man who has never been a registered Democrat.

2 Likes

Yes, it was a giant pain and you could only confirm that your ballot was received; I couldn’t find any way to confirm that it was counted. Mail ballot counting can’t be done until Election Day “because”, and where else would the MAGAts get their FB conspiracy theories about “votes changing the next day” if ballots were counted as they came in?

I registered to vote over 40 years ago. Do I remember what ID I used? Hell, no. And I’m supposed to rely on the county clerk’s office to notify me? Pfft.

I really, really don’t like the requirement to put the same ID on the outer ballot envelope, along with the signature. Hello, identity theft . . .

2 Likes

Nah, just their Republican boyfriends. So they can’t, you know, do that thing that, contrary to what, given the GOP platform, one might expect, they do do, even though having to resort to a Republican for a boyfriend to do so would seem punishment enough for being born dickless.

1 Like

Depends on the mood of the person doing the processing. You’d have to specify which number it was supposed to be. And does anyone else find this just a touch convenient?

DeBeauvoir also said a state database that could hold some of the historical information was blank for Travis County.

So if the state can’t determine what number you used to register way back when, that’s just too bad for you?

3 Likes

I think these new restrictions will tend to bite the GOP in the behind. Beto is a very good, grassroots level communicator and he’ll be able to use the primary experience to educate voters on how to adapt for the general election. Keep in mind a record 11 mill Texans voted in 2020 even though Abbott did everything possible to rig the process against majority Dem areas. Dems basically cut the Presidential margin in half from 2016 with Biden not spending much, if any, money.

7 Likes

The chaos is the point.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available