Texas’ New Voting Restrictions Cause Spike In Rejected Ballot Requests

The veteran clerk of Travis County, Texas on Tuesday lamented that Texas’ new voting restrictions had led to a spike in rejected requests for absentee ballots in her county, and several others across the state. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1401588
1 Like

Given that primary voters are typically more engaged politically, and more familiar with the “rules of engagement” for voting, Texas’ new rules could lead to even more ballot request rejections in November’s general election, said Tammy Patrick, senior advisor to the elections program at Democracy Fund.

Feature, not a bug.

19 Likes

I don’t know how it works in Texas, but in Wisconsin your drivers license number changes when your name does. So that would hit women proportionally more than men if they signed up when they were single

8 Likes

This seems to be in direct conflict with the ADA. It is full on discrimination of people with disabilities

10 Likes

Secretary of State John Scott said

“We urge all county election officials to contact the Texas Secretary of State’s office to seek advice and assistance on the correct method of processing mail ballot applications.”

between 315 am and 320 am on alternating Wednesdays to our fax machine at 888 - we’re from Texas, so screw you.

9 Likes

And thus we see Republicans shooting themselves in the foot by disenfranchising older Republicans who are more likely to request absentee ballots. May it backfire bigly in November.

12 Likes

That was also an issue in TX. If your married name had changed and it didn’t match your license you could not vote.

7 Likes

It’s so nice of the Texas GQP to make it more difficult for people to vote based on imaginary instances of fraudulent voting.

ETA: What recourse do those whose applications have been rejected have?

5 Likes

Is it just me, or does anyone think this is going to impact elderly voters who vote for republicans?

12 Likes

They would have to make corrections and reapply I would guess

2 Likes

We will see how it works out for them, being one has to be 65 or older to vote by mail, seems to me that the GOP maybe shooting themselves in the foot.

8 Likes

Working as planned, which is why I despise these fuckers. Conceiving and implementing a complex, state-authorized election maze for voters is still, in the end, a form of election fraud … no matter how the cadre of Trumpist judges ultimate rule

8 Likes

That’s in addition to the requirement they added several years ago where the name has to exactly match other docs on file down to initials, dots and dashes. So a name change 50 years ago might require all new registration docs if you registered when single or got divorced somewhere along the way, or someone made a clerical error.

12 Likes

the statutory language might as well include the phrase, “unless you’re a white Republican” because we just know that the county-level folks are going to “help” their elderly neighbors continue to vote absentee, right?

5 Likes

As intended! Women are more likely to vote “Democrat.”

2 Likes

… who are more likely to vote Democratic. It’s all good!

4 Likes

“A paper shortage” has to be my favorite excuse of all time for anything. I mean if there is a paper shortage in Texas how do those in school, including preschool, do homework?

10 Likes

Texas Republicans shooting themselves in the dick in order to assuage Trump’s dumb procedural grievances from 2020.

Hardly anybody is actually eligible to vote by mail in Texas, except for the GOP’s core voter demographic of those aged 65+. So by all means, make it harder for the oldsters to vote.

12 Likes

Not just “more likely,” practically the only people eligible to vote by mail under Texas law. Gotta be 65+, out of the county the entire voting period, or disabled.

10 Likes

That’s absurd to require you match something that was done long ago, if that’s your situation. And by long ago I mean more than a year, maybe a Friedman Unit ago even. Jeebus, I can’t remember what I did last week, let alone what I put on a form years ago.

Screw those two assholes, President Biden and the DoJ need to go whole hog on this crap, nationwide.

I don’t know what they can do exactly, but it seems like the States are violating the Equal Protection clause of the Constitution, seeing as how this is impacting both Federal and State elections all across our once great land.

I’m sure TX Lawyer will school me on this, but that’s my opinion.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available