Texas’ Legislature Advances Sweeping Smorgasbord Of Right-Wing Bills

There are two weeks left in the Texas legislature’s biennial legislative session, and a raft of hard-right bills stand to get passed to Gov. Greg Abbott’s (R) desk.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1457882
1 Like

Q: Why do all the trees in Oklahoma lean south?
A: Texas Sucks

13 Likes

Don’t you just love the cowboy cosplay?

20 Likes

You don’t wanna hear the toothbrush joke.

5 Likes

Republicans in Texas are certainly close to passing a law dissolving local government authority from all cities and counties larger than El Paso. Then they will give the state legislature the authority to govern the cities.

6 Likes

19 Likes

The state’s famously popular high school athletics departments — football most notably among them — have mobilized against the proposal, recognizing that it could lead to a drop in attendance, and a drop in funding for public education. It’s led to groups of coaches who otherwise vote Republican but oppose the measure.

No ifs about it, voucher programs are all about defunding public school systems.

The only surprise is that it took this long for them to realize the impact it would have on their Friday Night Lights culture.

29 Likes

Yeah, they really aren’t very bright, are they?

15 Likes

That goes to the second aim of the session’s immigration lawmaking: trying to get a test case before the Supreme Court which might upend national immigration law, granting Texas the authority to enforce the border itself.

If that were to pass and the supremes gave states the right to patrol their own borders, shouldn’t that also empower other states to vigilantly defend themselves from a Texan or south carolina invasion? Asking for a friend.

8 Likes

The blue Texans deserve better!

10 Likes

How are cowboy hats like hemorrhoids?

Eventually every asshole gets one.

9 Likes

that joke don’t lean on texans

1 Like

Talk about all hat and no cattle

What a joke

10 Likes

But plenty of bullshit!

5 Likes

Not a single woman in that photo.

6 Likes

Texas. . . Overcompensation on a mass scale. The state is an embarrassment to the rest of us.

3 Likes

“For more than five years, as cities stepped outside their jurisdiction, the pandemic pumped the brakes on our economy, and uncertainty plagued the business environment, our small business owners have done their best to keep their doors open, take care of their employees, and serve their customers,” NFIB state director Annie Spilman said in a statement.

Executive Branch Republicans in Texas were consistently behind the curve on public health preventative measures during the Covid-19 pandemic. County Judges and County Commissioners in Harris, Travis, Dallas and El Paso counties et.al. were out in front. A Republican incumbent County Commissioner in Harris County got beat last November after winning in November 2018. The rural population in Texas is shrinking and GOPs in Texas have to get more extreme at the state level to hold on to power.

11 Likes

I refer to them as porta potties. Turn 'um upside down and the wearer can increase his IQ.

1 Like

[Jon Lovitz]

Acting!

[/Jon Lovitz]

These MF-ers are bound and determined to flip this state as fast as possible.

15 Likes

When I look at all those men sitting around the table in their cowboy hats I think of how much I loved mine when I was 6. I also had a Fanner 50 cap gun which was the last “gun” I ever owned.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available