Texas House Committee Wants Paxton Impeached - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Months after Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) asked the Texas House to get him out of a lawsuit by appropriating funding for a legal settlement, it may be about to remove him instead.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1458834

Are there any prominent Republicans who aren’t crooks?

35 Likes

He is the perfect Repub so maybe he should be given an award instead of impeachment?

4 Likes

Josh, I appreciate your humor very much regarding an otherwise most evil of all Texans:
“…being “intoxicated” at a public hearing and, even worse, of being a ‘liberal.’”
Thanks for the laugh.

19 Likes

…and, even worse, of being a “liberal.”

Same old tired playbook. It’s not going to work for you this time, Ken. Time to get rid of the especially stinky garbage.

7 Likes

Much too damned late, but kick him out! His public corruption has been going on for far too long.

14 Likes

Apparently there actually IS a bridge too far for Republicans shielding a fellow Repub, and that’s when it’s going to cost some real money for the public treasury. That last part is also important, as it had seemed for a long time like it didn’t matter, that the tipping point was when it cost Republican money that could not be offset by rubes or billionaires.

I heard that Santos is costing the public treasury millions due to his bullshit…

And Gym Jordan, too, and

13 Likes

Hell, it seems most rational people want this fool in prison for the indictment activity that took place (let me check again) in 2015!!!

How does he avoid any prosecution for 8 years??? Is this what the Constitution means is the right to a speedy trial? Maybe any trial at all, speedy or otherwise???

12 Likes

the latest series of allegations of criminal wrongdoing against the state attorney general.

On FOX News, Paxton is “fighting for America”.

8 Likes

ChatGPT: I am unaware of any prominent Republicans who aren’t crooks.

7 Likes

Meanwhile … Stewart Rhodes sentenced to 18 [eighteen] years. Count 'em.

Last eye lost through bar of soap accident deemed unlikely, per BOP.

9 Likes

A lot of Republicans have their knives out for Paxton – and if they move to impeachment, he won’t have his office to shield him from his indictment. Blood in the water. They can easily get 2/3 of the Texas House since every Democrat will vote to kick him to the curb. Whether the Texas Senate has the votes to convict & bounce his ass is another thing.

33 Likes

Ask it if they’re serfs…lol

I think the answer is yes   ; - )

1 Like

Not anymore. Although, in fairness, most are now too stupid to be a crook.

1 Like

How does he avoid any prosecution for 8 years???

By getting re-elected. You really gotta wonder about Texans.

10 Likes

Now don’t you go all broad brush on us now.

6 Likes

The state House requires a two-thirds majority vote for removal.

This is incorrect. It works just like in the US congress: 50%+1 House vote to impeach, 2/3s vote in the senate to remove. And one of those state senators is his own wife (you can expect her to recuse just as quick as ginni’s spouse would). I’ve seen Texas politicians saying they have the votes to impeach. I have not seen any saying they have the votes to remove.

11 Likes

By changing venue several times, including hopping back to the original court.

8 Likes

It requires a simple majority in the House to impeach. 75 votes since one seat is vacant. 64 democrats plus 11 republicans would do it.

Removing him requires 2/3s of the Texas senate, 21 votes. 12 are democrats, so nine of the 19 republicans would have to vote to remove. One of those 19 republicans is his own wife, so make that nine of 18.

10 Likes

Paxton is a crook. The rest of the Texas GOPers are just fascist mofos.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available