Texas AG Takes School Mask Mandate Fight To Court After Governor’s Failed Efforts | Talking Points Memo

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) on Friday night said that the state Supreme Court will decide on mask mandates that schools have implemented, following Gov. Greg Abbott’s (R) unsuccessful efforts to overturn the public health measures.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1384583

The felon asserts what?

31 Likes

Imagine fighting against simple public health measures. But here we are.

57 Likes

Abbott claimed the appeal aimed to “protect the rights and freedoms of all Texans Let us force you to kill yourselves and others whether you damn well like it or not.”

29 Likes

Alleged felon. Verified asshole.

41 Likes

Seems to me they do not want the personal responsibility they were elected to preform.

21 Likes

GOP is determined to kill us all.

18 Likes

How many people will consider Abbott and Paxton’s cavalier attitude about their children’s health in the next election? Enough to make them unemployed?

26 Likes

It’s really odd: this attitude about personal freedom. ICU beds and coffins are very restrictive of one’s liberty.

28 Likes

These people are like a bunch of alcoholics arguing against drunk driving laws.

32 Likes

“We have taken this mask mandate to the Texas Supreme Court. The rule of law will decide. -AGPaxton”

No, I believe Darwin will decide . . .

30 Likes

If Paxton was doing his job as AG, he would arrest himself.

16 Likes

I keep thinking about how these yahoos have co-opted My Body My Choice as a rallying cry. I don’t think that if a woman has an abortion the result of said action would jeopardize the life of any other living thing on planet Earth. And I’ve never heard any of them clap back at this.

ETA: Oh look a Guardian Op-Ed writer must be one of us. She obviously stole this from me.

18 Likes

The Texas Supreme Court is as radical as they come, but when even Justice ACB (from Texas) allows University of Indiana to impose a mask mandate, they’d better be careful.

No one on our side, regardless of how vehemently we disagree, ever wants to disobey a court ruling. But if this court insists on threatening the lives of the children of Texas, all for some crazed/depraved view of “freedom”, I will view them as illegitimate. Not that that’s worth much at present, but it would be the beginning of the end for them as an institution. That’s a lesson the Robert’s court has learned, in my view.

27 Likes

Let us face reality for a moment. This whole attempt to stop mask and vaccine mandates at any level has nothing to do with health, welfare, safety, seeing children’s smiles, or personal freedom and liberty. This has everything to do with political power, and raw politics, and that is all. This is all Abbott, Paxton, deSantis, Kemp, etc. care about: Power and the dominance of the GQP’s perverted idea of democracy.

34 Likes

This is where we’re headed. It’s not great.

37 Likes

His assertion can be condensed to this: “I am a fool and in legal trouble up to my neck. I think my best bet is to allow a few thousand Republican Texans to die.”

13 Likes

Spot on!

9 Likes

All (or many) of them.

6 Likes

The GOP is like an elderly cat that crawls under a bush to die in the shade. Except the human version of ‘crawling’ is to take some others with them. I guess so they don’t think it’s a waste of time to die. Which it always is.

7 Likes