Tennessee Children Were Illegally Jailed. Now Members Of Congress Are Asking For an Investigation. | Talking Points Memo

This story first appeared at ProPublica. ProPublica is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom. Sign up for The Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1391624

Performance Art.

Why does it take some big newspaper expose for politicians to jump on the bandwagon?

Not like we’ve had documented abuses of the penal system, especially in the secretive and closed environment of children, for decades now or anything.

Maybe if they weren’t playing kickball at recess every other week they’d have time to be more proactive?

8 Likes

Child abuse.
From the party that pretends to care about the unborn.

13 Likes

Duh, they ain’t arresting fetuses.

9 Likes

When Joe “Deadbeat Dad” Walsh sees systemic racism, it must be really really really bad.

18 Likes

The Republican party does not give a damn about the unborn. It is all-in on forced childbirth as a means of controlling women. Democrats could introduce a bill tomorrow allocating money for prenatal care and adoption support, and all that Republicans would do is cry about welfare queens.

23 Likes

We don’t have to guess. One of the signature achievements of Obamacare was guaranteed coverage for maternity care. Before Obamacare many insurance plans excluded pre-natal care.

We all know how republicans felt about that. The freak out this week about an adoptive parent taking parental leave shows how they really feel about adoption too.

12 Likes

The letter’s signers, all Democrats,

It’s not a great situation when you periodically are pleased, in a perverse way, to discover that you’re still capable of being shocked.

14 Likes

The inclusion of prenatal care in Obamacare isn’t the test, because Obamacare itself is abhorrent to them. My point is that Dems could introduce a standalone bill funding prenatal care and adoption, with nothing else remotely objectionable about it, and R’s would uniformly line up against it – including Collins and Murkowski.

10 Likes

I have some exclusive video of #moscowmitch’s response to that:

6 Likes

It’s hard to think of any expression of simple humanity they could support if not one of them can support this. What non-evil society jails little school kids? What non-evil people with the power to do something about it could stand by silent with their arms folded?

19 Likes

Well there’s the problem.

12 Likes

Yeah. I’ve got to get rid of the long-held but now obviously wrong idea that you can be bad up to a certain point and then the residual goodness kicks in and you nope out of the badness at a certain extra-bad point. That seems to be mostly not a thing. It’s a frequently used plot driver but in the real world when you look for it you mostly don’t find it.

15 Likes

Everyone: Won’t somebody please think of the children?

Republicans: nope.

It’s amazing how we’ve normalized Republican nihilism. You’re right, this is the sort of thing that politicians used to trample each other to get to a mike and denounce. Then again, voting rights used to be reauthorized unanimously.

13 Likes

Dig into who was making money off the astonishingly high count of children being jailed.

22 Likes

Also interesting is no Republican or representative from Tennessee is on board yet. So that confirms that imprisoning black girls polls well there and among Republican constituencies.

11 Likes

Plenty of evil to go around on this one. Makes my blood boil. Makes my blood boil even more that the Repubs are “Hear No, Speak No, See No” on what should be a no-brainer, everyone fully outraged and upset issue.
It’s just disgusting. Not surprising I guess, but disgusting all the same.

9 Likes

Well by all accounts, Hitler did really like Blondi and treated her well. And he probably meant well in slaughtering her with cyanide, since the Russians would not have been kind.

6 Likes

Like every other utterly idiotic, abusive & heinous issue that has come to the forefront since the emergence of Trump-histeria this will be get polarized because it will be evaluated and assessed by the GQP / Trump-fearing Detritus exclusively from the critical vantage point of …

“Will vocally opposing this make ME look moderate? or worse yet, possibly LIBERAL?”

… out of the abundance of caution (to protect the faux - “tough & strident bigot” image) they will oppose any investigations, argue this is a state matter, screech that this is just snowflake bleeding heart liberals poking into stuff they have no knowledge about … howl that how Tennessee operates should be handled by Tennessee … and of course … “these kid-thugs got what they had coming to them … if they didn’t want to get locked up they should have behaved.”

This will absolutely get morphed into a dithering “Both-Sides” pile of crap …with Republicans digging in and refusing to investigate it … and then whispering tacit support for the essence of it … because … it is just so intoxicating for the Raging-Right that it is irresistible - you know that there is this huge barn full of belligerent bigots wanting to scream that when dealing with “those people”
…" y’all gotta lock 'em up young to teach 'em who’s BOSS"

2 Likes

I saw probably an hour of TV time (not to mention all the previous days) dedicated to Where’s Laundrie? this morning and exactly zero minutes concerning this story since it came to my attention.

That’s fucked up.

13 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available