Supreme Court To Release Trump Immunity Ruling

It is cynical precisely because it pretends to be about the law as opposed to raw political power.

36 Likes

LOL it took 119 pages to say the President is not above the law, except when he is! Biden ought to take full advantage. Cancel the presidential election.

10 Likes

I’m about to read some of it.

1 Like

NOW there is an excellent reason for flying the flag upside down. The ship of state is beyond distressed .

8 Likes

Are we at “When in the course of human events,” yet? Because it feels like we’re at “When in the course of human events.”

9 Likes

This is from a Frost/Nixon interview – 1977, after he’d resigned.

8 Likes

I want to thank Thurgood Marshall for giving up his seat before Clinton was elected; Sandra Day O’Connor for giving up her seat when she was still up to the job; and RBG for hanging on so long.

4 Likes

But Gaza! But the cost of groceries! I didn’t get my student loans forgiven!

I didn’t get all my wish list items in Biden’s term! Waaaaahhhhh!

I’m staying home because of all of that.

(This is a scene of an uninformed and spoiled undecided voter)

10 Likes

I guess it’s real bad when the highest legal authority in a country is taken over by a conspiracy of ideological extremists.

16 Likes

“no subject had been more abused than privilege,”

They knew it 250 years ago.

But our billionaires are much better, because they are much richer.

“It seems history matters to this Court only when it is convenient.”

“Settled understandings of the Constitution are of little use to the majority in this case, and so it ignores them.”

So how does the majority get to its rule? With text, history, and established understanding all weighing against it, the majority claims just one arrow in its quiver: the balancing test in Nixon v. Fitzgerald. Yet even that test cuts against it.

It is a far greater danger if the President feels empowered to violate federal criminal law, buoyed by the knowledge of future immunity. I am deeply troubled by the idea, inherent in the majority’s opinion, that our Nation loses something valuable when the President is forced to operate within the confines of federal criminal law.

When Presidents use the powers of their office for personal gain or as part of a criminal scheme, every person in the country has an interest in that criminal prosecution. The majority overlooks that paramount interest entirely.

There is a twisted irony in saying, as the majority does, that the person charged with “tak[ing] Care that the Laws be faithfully executed” can break them with impunity.

It is, in fact, the majority’s position that “boil[s] down to ignoring the Constitution’s separation of powers.”

Big takeaway here, from Sotomayor:

The only part of Trump’s immunity argument that the majority rejects is the idea that “the Impeachment Judgment Clause requires that impeachment and Senate conviction precede a President’s criminal prosecution.”

They gave Trump all the immunity he wants. All of it.

even fabricating evidence and insisting the Department use it in a criminal case could be covered.

14 Likes

Fact: this highlights that voting for POTUS was always this serious of a decision and maybe it’s about fucking time shitstain fucktards like Team Unicorn started getting confronted with it and forced to realize it. The reality is, immune or not, the remedy (if any) would always come AFTER the abuse of power…and for the most part, that’s too late anyway.

People need to WAKE. THE. FUCK. UP.

This isn’t alarm bells time. It’s air raid sirens time. The country is on the cusp of fascist success equivalent to Dresden or the bombing of Tokyo. Anyone you know who doesn’t realize that fact is a danger to you and everyone you love.

19 Likes

Day drinking, anyone?

Pass the hemlock!

7 Likes

Deep cut:

First thing I thought of upon this decision was Uriah the Hittite.

2 Likes

Eddie Glaude Jr.: “this is a fundamental threat to American democracy.”

13 Likes

100%

2 Likes

An upper bound hasn’t been determined, but it appears that 6 is a lower bound.

7 Likes

Imagine Trump’s promise to deport people who protest, in the context of this ruling.

20 Likes

You go SCOTUS.

24 Likes

We have finally gotten our monarchy back. Yay.

11 Likes

Can’t wait to read Barrett’s “I can’t believe I voted with these fools two years ago” ruling when Joe is being prosecuted in two years over some bullshit. “Of course presidents aren’t kings and can be prosecuted now that a GOP goon is doing the prosecuting!”

9 Likes