Supreme Court To Release Trump Immunity Ruling

Originally published at: Supreme Court To Release Trump Immunity Ruling - TPM – Talking Points Memo

The Supreme Court is set to release the final set of opinions of this term Monday morning — the most anticipated of which deals with whether former President Donald Trump is immune from criminal prosecution in special counsel Jack Smith’s Jan. 6 case. Trump is charged with four counts for illegally conspiring to overturn the…

1 Like

SCOTUS will rule Trump is immune or something similar.

No way does SCOTUS toss Trump to the wolves.

11 Likes

I fear you are correct, but it will be interesting to see if they can carve out some protection for the SCOTUS. After all, if you can unalive your opponent, then why not the Court?

4 Likes

It would be hard for SCOTUS to side with Trump on this without allowing for the possibility the Biden could then send SEAL team 6 to whack his opponents. Not impossible, but difficult. Most likely SCOTUS will rule that Trump is not immune but add provisions in the ruling to delay the case a few more months.

9 Likes

I wonder if they’re going to rule that Trump, and only Trump, is immune from any wrongdoings while president and beyond.

12 Likes

Given the Roberts’ Court rulings over the past many years, I don’t trust anything the majority does, so Trump’s immunity ruling could be a mishmash of bullshit.

11 Likes

They can read the founding fathers minds. It’s obvious Trump gets immunity

3 Likes

PREDICTION: Remand for further proceedings under some bullshit standard Roberts just made up for purposes of delay.

45 Likes

Question: does the Federalist Society know what today’s rulings are?  : - )

3 Likes

@txlawyer - right there with you at this point. Remand, hoping Trump is reelected; Trump pardons self; right-wing SCOTUS upholds Trump “self-pardon.” Game over.

18 Likes

Probably, since they bought the ruling.

10 Likes

A cat named Totoro?

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with some Totoro!

4 Likes

Especially if you’re not in Kansasro anymore!

3 Likes

You mean the way they gift wrapped and handed the presidency to Shrub, then said this is a one-time only gift? The entire reason that Uncle Thomas the House Negro was put on the court by Papa Bush?

7 Likes

First case: apparently there were still a few unemployed lawyers after Chevron was overturned so the RWers decided to add a little job security for the rest of them. They allowed a company to argue that an agency rule had harmed them even though they didn’t go into business until 6 years after the rule in question was enacted, but they can sue to overturn anyway. So if you don’t like an EPA rule or OSHA rule or whatever, there is no longer a statute of limitations if you are a bidnessman.

22 Likes

Is dreadtisipation a word? It should be a word.

12 Likes

Awaiting the edict from our RULERS.

2 Likes

This ruling won’t matter. Trump’s trials have been crippled by delay. If he is elected, they’ll all go away.

I expect SCOTUS to deny immunity. Roberts has been making a power-grab, and Trump seems likely to take the White House, so he’ll deny immunity.

Boy, was I wrong. Roberts just turned Presidents into Kings. Sotomayor even uses those words.

16 Likes

Makes complete sense because clearly if you are Republican, Nemo judex in causa sua does not apply.

2 Likes