Supreme Court Executes Massive Power Grab From Executive Branch In New Ruling

Originally published at: Supreme Court Executes Massive Power Grab From Executive Branch In New Ruling

The Supreme Court overruled a key pillar of federal agency authority Friday, appropriating a massive amount of executive branch power to itself. In overruling Chevron, the Court decided that federal agencies no longer get to fill in the gaps of Congress’ laws with their experts’ own reasonable interpretation of how to carry them out; that…

scotus flexing their muscle and just getting warmed up. Should the fascists regain the executive branch this November you can be sure the executive branch will reclaim any and all power they deem necessary. The judicial branch will be standing back and standing by.

48 Likes

Charles Koch and Leonard Leo are reconfiguring federal government, and they didn’t need a Congressional supermajority or Constitutional convention to do it.

They just needed 6 partisan sophists to percolate through the crank-farming operation they’ve built. Just 6 lousy writers without shame.

45 Likes

After this mornings rulings from the SC I fully expect trump to be immune as a private citizen from every jot and tittle ever written into our law from 1789 until the present moment. He will be utterly free to shoot someone on 5th ave as he said and he will actually gain voters by doing such.

AND IT SHOULD NOT TAKE NEAR 40 MINUTES TO TURN ON COMMENTS UNDER ARTICLES ON THE MAIN PAGE

I’m pissed off

21 Likes

No surprise here.

3 Likes

Eliminating Chevron deference is not returning power to Congress. It’s giving more power to judges interpreting federal regulations.
During the post Brown v Board era when school desegregation consent decrees were implemented you were have many of these same conservatives decry the judges who were overseeing them. “Judge made law” they would cry.
Many of them were detailed right down to the management and construction of school facilities, academic programs and of course the bugaboo of the era busing.
I can’t imagine a federal judge or judges having the ability to evaluate the regulations on say a pesticide, medical device or pharmaceutical products. Judge Kacsmaryk-“Oh I know all about these things”. Erin Hawley-“Me too!”

41 Likes

We are turning into Hungary, awaiting Orban.

20 Likes

Agency decisions are what cleaned up our air and our waterways. Using science and expertise, as Congress intended. Although we have a long way to go (including things like PFOS compounds).

Judges, and their feeder teams (read: lawyers) know precious little about science, with few exceptions.

This is indeed a power grab by the judiciary. Congress will need to address this, if they can get their act together. Sadly, we’ll likely have to wait for deterioration to become obvious before they do.

35 Likes

Activist Republican Supreme Court. Say it loudly and repeatedly.

We are fucked by this SCOTUS supermajority.

18 Likes

Notice the flowers.

23 Likes

He’s already here.

19 Likes

A few luxury vacays and a RV is peanuts compared to the billions they expect to save.

26 Likes

It should be:

8 Likes

Ruth Bader Ginsburg says hi.

13 Likes

So the same guy who in the Oregon homelessness case said “Why would you think that these nine people are the best people to judge and weigh those policy judgments?” also thinks that judges are the best people to substitute their policy judgements for a few hundred federal departments.

Just absolutely shameless, appalling hypocrisy. But I guess when you’re completely unaccountable you can get away with the blatant inconsistency that comes from ruling by ideology, not legality.

38 Likes

The Supreme Court’s jihad steams right on.

32 Likes

Looks like Roberts dusted off his VRA decision for another lap around the park. What a disaster. Did he assert that America has changed and doesn’t need administrative agencies any more?

27 Likes

Good thing we won’t have to pay attention to anything coming out of the national institute of health or the FDA. Stupid eggheads and their facts and book learning.

27 Likes

Oh great, the Supreme Court is now the official head of the American government. The most powerful of the three branches by far. That isn’t the way it was taught when I was growing up, but that is the way it is now.

Yesterday Kavanaugh ruled, on behalf of the super majority, that it is a-ok for billionaires and corporations to give gratuities to politicians like Supreme Court justices. America has gone to hell in a handbasket. The corruption is complete.

46 Likes

The hat alone says it all, but those flowers are funereal.

5 Likes