Supreme Court Decision May Be Moot As North Carolina Court To Rehear Major Election Case

That’s apparently what they believe by how their acting.

But Supreme Court history is a funny thing. When the Court drops numerous prominent and unpopular rulings (as they have been lately) that tanks their approval, the other branches of government and voters don’t just stand by and accept it.

The history of FDR’s court-packing plan is instructive. His plan was ‘defeated’, but by then he had achieved his goal with two of the Justices switching to his side and upholding some of his New Deal legislation as Constitutional.

With the corruption and unpopular rulings from the Court, I foresee a similar collision happening much sooner than in decades. I can’t say when or how it will work out, but don’t be surprised if the SCOTUS changes significantly in size, composition or organization in the near future.

9 Likes

FIFY

8 Likes

I think that is a generationally accumulating problem

I always took my son with me to vote as to model the behavior.

I will be taking him to register to vote in the coming weeks as he turns 18.

8 Likes

A dozen sets of people in 12 different nations would envy us with the system WE HAVE.

Just fucking vote, like Granny and Gramps…

(as opposed to apathy part one and perfect-the-enemy-of-the-good part two)

If people 18-29 voted like Granny and Gramps we would have had a 6-3 advantage with the Supreme Court.

And a 70 Dem Senate

4 Likes

Texas Latino voters 2020:

10 Likes

Thank you, but I did not ask for it to be fixed.

The only thing I have to add here is that you guys have no idea how incredibly transgressive this is with regard to the entire legal culture of the state and it’s jurisprudence. I find myself particularly appalled by Deitz joining in on this.

This thing reeks of a bunch of Federalist Society YR law clerks ginning up yet another coup de e’tat because SCOTUS has signaled that rule of law is tired and raw power is wired.

And the hell of it is that the Alito Court absolutely will not let mootness keep it from ruling. All they have to do is misapply the “capable of repetition but evading review” exception to the rule that mootness deprives the Court of jurisdiction.

13 Likes

The Judiciary in this case, and in every state, and federally, had better check themselves, lest they wreck themselves. I’m sure they don’t want a quippy “…has made his decision, now let him enforce it” attributed to their political enemies as their rulings are ignored. A legal system made of a fabric of dependencies cannot be remade from new cloth whenever the parties rendering judgment changes. Otherwise I guess we need to relitigate Marbury vs Madison - precedent be damned.

2 Likes

Maybe, if we are willing to wait many years. this rightwing Legislature in NC came in with the Tea Party, and has simply destroyed North Carolina with their Bathroom Bills and their attack on Education and their fundementalist theocracy that they intend to rule with. I do not see that changing much because of a seriously rightwing electorate, and a power hungry Legislature. They have gerrymandered themselves comfortably safe districts, and this new rightwing court nor the rightwing SCOTUS is there to make sure that democracy and the Constitution remain the basis for our government.
North Carolina used to be something of a bright light in the South, in spite of spawning Jesse Helms. It has been made a laughing stock by these clones of that bigoted old fart. I am still really glad he is dead.

5 Likes

Yet another story that turns on a single question, i.e. Are they Republicans? Yes? End of story.

2 Likes

Sir, this is an Arby’s.

Chicken, meet egg.
I see this as a toxic, deliberately engineered spiral toward public cynicism and anger or apathy.

People are lectured about the consequence of not voting, and yet they are taught over and over–by gerrymandering in the US House and state bodies, by the filibuster in the US Senate, and by the rise of unaccountable courts–that their votes don’t matter, because achieving a majority (the only general, intuitive yardstick of fairness) is irrelevant.

In the case of gerrymandering, it’s irrelevant to delegation/chamber control, and in the US Senate, chamber control is fatally irrelevant to passage of any non-reconciliation bill. And because of the knock-on effects of these ills to the judiciary, there’s a good chance anything that does get done gets overturned or hamstrung by delay in some stacked, venue-shopped, or shadow-docketing court.

Anyone who isn’t a careful student of political niceties blames the party in charge for the gridlock they see, & buys into the “both parties are the same bunch of sellouts with different jerseys, and gov’t is the problem” narrative, which is so helpfully promoted here at home by the party that doesn’t WANT government to do anything, and abroad by Putin and other rivals that want our system to fail.

The people who are cynical and angry as a result respond to demagogues like TFG, and the cynical and apathetic just tune out, leaving the field to the saboteurs.

8 Likes

Did you read Josh’s piece on right wingers attacking the power grid to incite a race war? I get the feeling we are on the razors edge of Republican sponsored chaos.

3 Likes

"I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and Newt somebody, and I wouldn’t lose any voters, OK?"

3 Likes

2020 and 2022

1 Like

2 Likes

Your solution?

No gif, no snarky remark; what should Americans do about a sideways judiciary?

That is one heck of a gif.

3 Likes

Counter: Republicans vote.

It wasn’t a 40 seat margin, but McCarthy has the gavel, because an important % of Americans voted for dudes like Santos.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available