Supreme Court Decision May Be Moot As North Carolina Court To Rehear Major Election Case

People not voting isn’t a response: It’s. The. Cause.

Yes. But, to an individual voter in a gerrymandered district, not voting would appear rational. Especially if they work far from where they live, so there’s little overlap with poll hours, don’t have a car, so they can’t get to the polling place a mile from any bus station, and/or live in an understaffed precinct so they have to wait in line for hours (who looks after the kids? What’s their boss gonna say when they are late?).

Republicans have worked really hard to make voting costly for democratic-leaning areas and east for retirees in the suburbs. Instead of blaming the victims, could we at least put equal effort into making it easier to vote?

I think that’s why the pandemic modifications to early and mail voting freaked republicans out so much. Suddenly everyone could vote. And that is fatal to them.

16 Likes

Yes! This is a righteous dissent!

3 Likes

Wisconsin’s SC election is this spring.

3 Likes

If you are using a computer for TPM put the photo on your “desktop” (the screen). Then poke lightly to see if it is a jpg file. If so then simply drag and drop the photo in a post. If the file is not jpg then go to:
https://cloudconvert.com/jpg-converter
Drag the photo to the place indicated and follow directions to convert to a jpg file (be sure to down load to your desktop. I hope this helps.
BTW…
We took in a feral kitten who had lost his mom and a sibling at an extremely young age. He’s never really gotten over that experience. He’s not normal in his head. But he has never exhibited any aggressive behavior. Just a few days ago he was rocked back on his heels by a young green grasshopper that had gotten into our bedroom. He had no idea what it was but he was convinced it was deadly dangerous… He was birthed in the alley behind our house and when he’d lost his family we took him in. He spent 10 years under our bed. Tho he did develop friendships with our other cats and our dog …it too 10 years of kindness before he would trust my touch. Then he found massage feels damn good. He’s now 18 years old and he trusts me. He’s still scared shitless of strangers.

5 Likes

How the hell can they decide to just rehear a court case, especially one in which none of the facts has changed?

8 Likes

That’s exactly what they’ve been doing for many of our rights!

4 Likes

I would be open to seeing some data on the relationship between gerrymandering and voting. But put me down me as skeptical that there is any great relationship. My suspicion is that few voters turn out for the downballot races where gerrymandering overdetermines the outcomes. Voter participation percentage in Texas has increased by double digits over the last couple decades, and we’ve been gerrymandered to the hilt.

10 Likes

Supreme Court Case May Be Moot As North Carolina Court To Rehear Major Election Suit

Deus ex machina?

You’re asking a procedural question, and the procedural answer is that it is done by way of a petition for rehearing.

9 Likes

Drag Queen Story Time

A couple hundred years ago, our Founders faced the greatest military force on the planet. Top-of-the-line weapons. Ships galore. Unimaginable wealth. Gorgeous red uniforms. Discipline to march together in a straight line.

We had a bunch of over-taxed farmers with a few muskets. Ultimately, the British made great targets, and we drove them out.

It’s no less for those people traipsing around in black robes or perfectly tailored suits. Even for their clown army weighted down with camouflage outfits downtown, walking hand-on-shoulder in an orderly, disciplined row.

Fact number two… America has an immigration problem.

Add it up, and what’s the result? Liberalism works. People flocked (and still flock) to the American ideal of freedom, equality, and majority rule, which is the principle of self-determination.

Conservatives can’t stop it. Alito can’t stop it. The very existence of the United States in human history means it can’t be stop. The only question is whether America leads the experiment or takes a back seat to another great civilization.

That shining beacon up there… it’s liberalism.

9 Likes

Fuck this shit. And fuck every lawyer who ever lived. You’re corrupt pieces of shit interested only in your own enrichment. If fucking Adolph Hitler came back to life and offered enough money, every fucking scumbag lawyer (redundant, I know) would line up to represent him.

There is nothing more diseased at the heart of this country than this corrupt, so-called “justice system.” it’s a joke and every one in it is human shit. Yeah, I’ll save you the trouble for your stupid one-note middle school joke - yes, I just told you how I really feel you dimwitted twats.

What’s worse is that they’ve already tipped their hand as to what comes after CHEAT when that doesn’t work. SHOOT. We’re fucked.

1 Like

Did I mention…

1 Like

It’s both. Sadly,… the feedback loopis hard to break

5 Likes

It sets the precedent that the judiciary doesn’t need to respect previous ruling if the court’s composition changes. Some prominent right-wing decisions at risk:

• District of Columbia v. Heller (2008) - Establishing individual right to own guns
  • Citizens United v. FEC (2010) - Gutting of our campaign finance laws
  • Shelby County v. Holder (2013) - Gutting of our voting rights laws
  • Burwell v. Hobby Lobby (2014) - Allowing business owners to impose their religion on their employees
  • Janus v. AFSCME (2018) - Gutting union funding laws
  • Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization (2022) - Eliminating constitutional protection of abortion

If the current SCOTUS condones this outright power grab, future more liberal courts can cite this case for why they are overturning one or more of the above cases.

I’m hoping that happens, but like @txlawyer notes, strange to see conservative Judges setting the precedent that their decisions need not be respected by future courts.

20 Likes

This time its North Carolina going first?

2 Likes

…without being replaced. That’s the key component. They’ve been consistently losing “the next generation” for decades now. Enter neofascist education policy, stage right…

9 Likes

Why would they care since the future court where liberals have control might be decades away.

We could if had a liberal court, butter emails.

3 Likes

From the “AIN’T NO MO’” department:

As Alexander Hamilton famously wrote in the Federalist Papers, the judiciary is the weakest of our three branches of government. Without “purse” or “sword,” the US Supreme Court is dependent on the willingness of others to enforce its orders and on the public’s belief in its impartiality to ensure compliance.

11 Likes

The old approach:

The obligation to follow precedent begins with necessity, and a contrary necessity marks its outer limit. With Cardozo, we recognize that no judicial system could do society’s work if it eyed each issue afresh in every case that raised it. See B. Cardozo, The Nature of the Judicial Process 149 (1921). Indeed, the very concept of the rule of law underlying our own Constitution requires such continuity over time that a respect for precedent is, by definition, indispensable. See Powell, Stare Decisis and Judicial Restraint, 1991 Journal of Supreme Court History 13, 16. At the other extreme, a different necessity would make itself felt if a prior judicial ruling should come to be seen so clearly as error that its enforcement was for that very reason doomed.

Even when the decision to overrule a prior case is not, as in the rare, latter instance, virtually foreordained, it is common wisdom that the rule of stare decisis is not an “inexorable command,” and certainly it is not such in every constitutional case, see Burnet v. Coronado Oil & Gas Co., 285 U. S. 393, 405-411 (1932) (Brandeis, J., dissenting). See also Payne v. Tennessee, 501 U. S. 808, 842 (1991) (SOUTER, J., joined by KENNEDY, J., concurring); Arizona v. Rumsey, 467 U. S. 203, 212 (1984). Rather, when this Court reexamines a prior holding, its judgment is customarily informed by a series of prudential and pragmatic considerations designed to test the consistency of overruling a prior decision with the ideal of the rule of law, and to gauge the respective costs of reaffirming and overruling a prior case. Thus, for example, we may ask whether the rule has proven to be intolerable simply in defying practical workability, Swift & Co. v. Wickham, 382 U. S. 111, 116 (1965); whether the rule is subject to a kind of reliance that would lend a special hardship to the consequences of overruling and add inequity to the cost of repudiation, e. g. , United States v. Title Ins. & Trust Co., 265 U. S. 472, 486 (1924); whether related principles of law have so far developed as to have left the old rule no more than a remnant of abandoned doctrine, see Patterson v. McLean Credit Union, 491 U. S. 164, 173-174 (1989); or whether facts have so changed, or come to be seen so differently, as to have robbed the old rule of significant application or justification, e. g., Burnet, supra, at 412 (Brandeis, J., dissenting).

The new approach: YOLO.

18 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available