States Sue Over ICE Rule Threatening Int’l Students, As Trump Admin Defends It In Court | Talking Points Memo

Seventeen states and the District of Columbia on Monday sued the Trump administration over new government guidance that would require international students taking all-online course loads to leave the country.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1320213

Stupid Trump and Republicans.

That is I doubt these racist xenophobic morons realize how important to many University budgets are foreign full paying students. That is Universities love foreign students because unlike American students, almost all foreign students are paying full price.

13 Likes

Those revenue down the drain for state schools…just like those Ivy League schools draining away their $$$ makers!

Trumpy is so pushy about “Reopening America” and “Reopening Schools” for his re-election but racism must go on too!

Trump MAL admin is okay to:
KAG = Kill American Geriatrics for Wallstreet
Infect the young & students for Trumpy’s re-election
Ultimately…Trumpy will even kill the higher education’s Golden goose
= Those foreign student who pays FULL tuition, board!

Low cognitive skills much Trumpy?
Try connecting the dots again!

5 Likes

“Stupid Trump and Republicans”

Sometimes I say, “Stupid GOP and Trump”

Because Trump is a mental case who would spend his days in an In-Patient Facility if it were not for an extremely comprehensive operation that supports him, the main component of which is the GOP.

5 Likes

And this administration has the chutzpah to wrap themselves in religious leanings. What BS!

4 Likes

a lawyer for the administration wrote that ICE was simply hewing closer to the pre-COVID rules.

“… a lawyer for the administration wrote a counterfactual response, restating the critics’ argument, and claiming they’d do whatever in the fuck they want.”

FIFY. Please use for any statement issued by the White House.

5 Likes

You misspelled “federal prison”.

14 Likes

My wife looked at me this morning and said, “The meaner and dumber he gets, the more they love him.”

I have nothing to add.

11 Likes

ICE needs to be defrosted when the Dems control things. They seem to be an arm of Rump’s administration without any form of check or balance to control them.

5 Likes

Realization of the importance of foreign students to University budgets (let alone to educational process and intellectual vitality of our higher education and research) would only matter if GOP and Trump valued the contributions of colleges (and education in general) to our country. But they don’t. We always should remember that they love poorly educated.

11 Likes

This list is impressive, and growing fast. As somebody who works for the California State University system (23 campuses and over 480,000 students) I’m pleased to see both our Chancellor’s Office, as well as 14 campuses so far have joined in already. I would anticipate most, if not all, of the rest joining in by the time the smoke clears on this.

I think these idjits have woken a sleeping giant here and will come to regret this bullshit in the not too distant future. This move looks like it was aimed at immigrants, but it directly threatens the financing of the entire system, so would impact anyone enrolled in a university of college (and their families). Given that there are apparently something like 16.6 million students in higher ed in the U.S., that’s one hell of a cohort to hurt just to feed some bottom-feeder resentment against the “edjumicated”.

“By their idiocy shall ye know them…”

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cha.asp

11 Likes

mental ward section of a medical wing of a federal prison?

I prefer to say “religiosity”, not “religious leanings”, just as they’re “Christianists”, not “Christians”. They’re Republicans, there’s no reason to give them more than they’ve earned…

1 Like

“Say the safeword!”

“MAGA?”

“Wrong! (Whack) Say the safeword!”

“Fake News?”

“Deep State?”

3 Likes

For every college degree issued there is one less Republican voter

6 Likes

MAGAts, yes. Suburban white women, not so much.

5 Likes

Yes, I remember Andrew Sullivan’s astute observation about the RWNJ’s being “Christianists” from years ago. They remain that way, only more so. Fake. Faux. Two Corinthians Phonies.

2 Likes

I disagree that Republicans “love the poorly educated”.

Rather, because the media has done such a terrible job at doing its job that is so important to a functioning Democracy, educating the masses so they can make informed decisions, Republicans have been able to fool those they least respect or care about into supporting their own demise.

1 Like

If I am not mistaken, California State University system did not join Harvard and MIT lawsuit. Many of its campuses filed amicus briefs in that lawsuit but even more critically CSU (together with California community college system) is a part of a separate lawsuit filed by the state of California. And University of California system filed yet another lawsuit.

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I was actually referring to the list linked to in the article listing amicus brief filings - it include the two Cal Poly campuses, 12 other campuses, plus the CSU Chancellor’s office.

See here:

https://twitter.com/neubadah/status/1281766862632759297/photo/1

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available