States Sue Over ICE Rule Threatening Int’l Students, As Trump Admin Defends It In Court | Talking Points Memo

Very impressive list and my alma mater is on it -Sonoma State.

2 Likes

We agree that Republicans succeed by fooling voters. The more gullible voters there are, the better for the GOP. But it is hard to fool people possessing critical reasoning skills (i.e. educated people). In that sense, Republicans clearly love poorly educated.

I saw it, I just wanted to stress that the amicus briefs were followed by a more consequential step of being a part of the California lawsuit. Having read about CA lawsuit, I was at first disappointed not to see UC as a part of the announcement until I read that UC filed a separate suit. Plus a suit by 17 other states.
I think any one of these suits is strong enough to stop mal-administration on this issue but I hope that having several strong suits increases chances of quickly obtaining an injunction that will at least allow universities and international students proceed with fall semester/quarter plans in as normal an order as covid allows.

3 Likes

@playitagainrowlf
Either way that’s a lot of school systems, with a lot of law schools, who have alumni that might want to do some “work” on the case.

2 Likes

The cruelty is the point.

Just remember that when they start whining and complaining under the next administration. People who support kids in cages have no moral standing on anything.

5 Likes

In Our Dreams.

1 Like

Nail, meet head. When people complain about book learnin’, academics and “elitists” and actively discourage higher education within their own circles, they shouldn’t be too surprised to see people from other countries pursuing that education and the resulting jobs.

IOW, Junior Samples, those jobs aren’t becoming less necessary, no matter what you think of them.

Oh, they know this, that’s really part of the point…they are trying to pressure universities financially do so something that will help Trump politically, at least Trump and the Republicans think opening schools will fool people into thinking that things are “back to normal”. If universities do it, they see it as a win, and if universities don’t then they get to kick a bunch of foreigners out of the nation, which they also see as a win. The fact that it’s a stupid policy, that will decrease America’s economic competitiveness, or that it will make a bunch of people sick, is irrelevant to them…all they want to do is stick it to the liberals and foreigners, and hurting universities and their immigrant students is a great way to do it.

I really hope that karma gets these bastards in the end for all of their atrocious behavior and beliefs.

2 Likes

The impact on universities and colleges is clear, which I bet Trump considers just another benefit.
One major question is what would happen to all those students whose countries are refusing to allow people to enter if they come from the US?

1 Like

I attended a Boalt Hall (UC Berkeley) law school graduation a few years ago. The school has a special masters program for foreign lawyers and judges and the wonderful assortment of names announced exceeded the number of students graduating with their JDs.

2 Likes

Can’t universities start revoking the degrees of some of these loons?

My co-worker and I were just discussing this.

There’s something in the brain of a manager or owner (not expressed sometimes until the moment that managerhood occurs) that, if not offset or mitigated by other human traits, like concern for others well being, empathy, niceness, a certain degree of liking ones fellow man, life even in general, creates a monstrous, uncaring, miserable, bullying jerk to varying degrees.

The GOP of today has precious little offsets or mitigations.

The schools should offer some in person classes that involve “field work” so the students would actually only need to appear on campus like once a semester.

1 Like

“Okay, who’s got one that can leverage Corona, give the finger to fuzzy foreigners, and piss off the ivory tower elites? Anyone? Miller? What you got?”

1 Like

ICE Detention for them!!!

Put 'em on a Carnival Cruise Ship and let them sail around the world trying to find a place that will take them in!

Fill the Trump Dubai Tower to the gills with them and unlock the mini bars!!!

Homeland Security needs to be renamed, broken up, and purged. ICE needs to be purged. BPC needs to be purged. And by purged, I mean with red hot fireplace pokers straight to the heart.

Quite the contrary, it’s precisely why they see it as a win-win: either the universities are forced to reopen in-person classes and thereby boost the appearance of normalcy, or they stay online and those liberal indoctrination centers lose one of their major sources of funding (especially at a time when many American students won’t be returning regardless), and at the same time a bunch of foreigners get deported.

1 Like

Order has been rescinded by gov’t, they stated so during the court hearing brought by Harvard/MIT.

sorry, I think this is behind a paywall:

excerpt:

Facing fierce opposition, the US Department of Homeland Security Tuesday announced that it has withdrawn visa guidelines that barred international students from the US if all of their classes were to be conducted online this fall.

The surprise announcement came during a federal district court hearing Tuesday in a lawsuit filed by Harvard University and MIT seeking a temporary injunction of the guidelines.

The decision means that the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s decision in March to allow international students to continue their studies remotely without impacting their visa status due to the coronavirus remains in place. It is unclear what this means, however, to students whose visas are expiring and to new students who are applying for visas and whose classes may be entirely online.

1 Like

They’re up the creek until there’s more legal action. Including legal action to force the actual delivery of documents.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available