Should Michigan Get More Vaccine Doses To Curb Its Current COVID Surge? | Talking Points Memo

This concerns me, we have vaccinated approx 30% of those eligible. Already the demand for the shot is diminishing? In a few weeks we will be one of the hot spots.

1 Like

Don’t you know it is always the woman’s fault. /s

4 Likes

Population distribution is not homogenous. Local to me (maximum radius in the online vaccine finders), I could find no spare supply.
but it was very easy to find 40 mi away.
Maybe there it is demand limited, but certainly here it is supply limited.

3 Likes

I suspect we will find that the root cause of the surge in the Midwest is…Florida.

Florida’s completely irresponsible opening up likely led to students spreading the virus among themselves, and then returning to their homes/colleges and spreading them to their parents/grandparents and neighbors.

I mean, it’s basically what was predicted when Florida opened up before spring break.

12 Likes

An egalitarian approach made sense initially when everyone wanted the vaccine, and we didn’t have enough. There were good arguments that even then it should have been better targeted, but the benefits were slim because at the beginning there was enough lack of immunity that any place could very quickly become a hotspot, so targeting could have become whack a mole.
But with over 30% of the country having got at least 1 shot better targeting makes complete sense. It can bring the spread of the virus to an end much quicker and drastically reduce the risks of variants.

And that’s even without considering the fact that there are places with excess supply due to vaccine hesitancy.

6 Likes

In situations like this, I always ask myself, “What would Ted Cruz do?”

12 Likes

MI has vaccinated over 30% and the virus is running rampant there. Your 30% argument is not holding up.

8 Likes

That Woman

2 Likes

These dumb fuckers who won’t take the vax are a danger to themselves, their families, their neighbors, to you, to me, and the rest of civilization. Assholes.

7 Likes

No it doesn’t. I’ve only just gotten the chance to register in my State, as is the case for many other people.

I haven’t been hanging out at bars, been following all the rules.

So you’d tell me that, because other people haven’t been following them, I should have to wait perhaps months longer than I otherwise would? At risk the whole time when I do need to venture out for work or groceries?

I think that everyone here clamoring to send more shots to those folks who haven’t been following the rules should note their own status in getting protected.

I recognize a couple at least who are all over this now, but who themselves aren’t giving up a damned thing if it happens.

10 Likes

Look at this and Tell me what the problem in MI is.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-percentage-of-population-vaccinated-march-15.html

2 Likes

I think if we are going to boost vaccine distribution to one state at the expense of other states that are presumably doing a better job with their mitigation efforts, it should come with a requirement that the state enact more stringent rules around things like gatherings, indoor dining capacity, and mandatory masking. It’s a good idea, but should not end up punishing states that are doing the right thing in favor of states that have relaxed their rules too quickly.

7 Likes

I think a state agreeing to give up vaccine inventory would be political suicide for the governor.

4 Likes

26 of 51. most average is the problem?

1 Like

Got my 2nd Pfizer today, was in and out in 18 minutes, including the 15 minute wait period. I hope that everyone else wanting the vaccine can be as lucky. I evaded COVID successfully, but my Health Department wife is saying that the mutations are really scaring those in the know.

14 Likes

Everyone seems to think that it’s about taking vaccine away from someone else who wants it to send more to Michigan. That isn’t what I’m talking about. There are places where it isn’t getting used.

8 Likes

Took me 750 tries over several days to get my appointments last week. I live in a demographically pro-vax area; the bottleneck is lack of vaccine inventory.

5 Likes

You did, for now. Oregon post-vaccination numbers published today: https://www.kgw.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/168-vaccinated-oregonians-test-positive-for-covid/283-3bbf23b0-6189-42d8-b5de-a0cd7a3f000e

Summary:

State of Oregon
700,000 subjects at least two weeks beyond full vaccination
168 tested positive for covid-19
11% of the positives were hospitalized within 30 days of testing positive
Most of those hospitalized were 65+ or had comorbidities
3 died

So, inferring from vaccine availability that the time period was about an average of just one month of being at maximum efficacy, one can still contract the virus, one can still get a case severe enough to be hospitalized, one can still die of it.

Also inferred, if 168 tested positive there were (possibly many) more who contracted it but remained asymptomatic and never knew. A vaccinated person can still be a carrier.

My point being that, no, we don’t get to go back to normal and party indoors with the unmasked masses. At least, not this year.

8 Likes

I would think lack of mitigation or rules is the problem. Herd immunity hits at what 70 to 80 %, no state is in position to share their vaccine allotment.

4 Likes

Agree, it’s the mutations that could put everyone, even the vaccinated, in grave peril. Again.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available