Should Michigan Get More Vaccine Doses To Curb Its Current COVID Surge? | Talking Points Memo

As Michigan reels from a deluge of new coronavirus cases, some public health experts are pressing the Biden administration to reconsider its allocation strategy for COVID-19 vaccines, urging the administration to distribute more doses to states that have been particularly hard-hit by the virus in recent weeks. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1368962

Well, we all know if T**** had stolen the election, what the answer would have been. Blue State? You’re fired…

11 Likes

I would suggest getting as many J&J doses as possible and as soon as possible there.

10 Likes

No. You don’t get to jump the fucking line by being dumber than other people.

20 Likes

Let’s do it

3 Likes

Yes, because it is the right thing to do. An added bonus is that it would give Whitmer a boost politically going into 2022.

14 Likes

Tie extra vaccine to covid-19 prevention measures, like highway funds are to seat belt laws. But there’s probably not time to get complying MI legislation passed.

11 Likes

Is it, though? What about people in other States, who have been patiently waiting to come out from their Covid semi-lockdowns.

Why should they have more delays in getting vaccinated while a State who refuses to lock down and even reverses course to open back up gets to the front of the line?

Any change to the vaccination distribution plans to surge vaccines to a hotspot at this point simply must, at a minimum, include strict requirements for full lockdowns.

10 Likes

When I was there last, everyone in Oakland County was doing the right thing—masks, distancing, etc. When we went Up North…not so much.

I get what you’re saying, but there are a lot of people doing the right thing there, including Whitmer, but the knuckle draggers in the state legislature are the problem. And they will use a surge to bludgeon her politically.

16 Likes

I’m torn on this issue.

Here in PA, our Dem Governor Wolf tried to appease all PA counties, no matter red / blue. He poured vaccine into lots of red counties that saw no mask usage or social distancing and therefore high per capita COVID exposures, while (most) of us in southeast PA (2,500,000 residents) were hit hard, but generally did masks and distancing. In effect, Wolf’s policy sent many more doses to those red counties than to the densely populated southeast PA, creating a Hunger Games / Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome atmosphere to get vaccinated. It’s only been until the past two weeks are more vaccination appointments available down here in SE PA, mostly due to the influx of J&J.

15 Likes

This sounds like a great idea:

A New Orleans bar has partnered up with a local healthcare clinic to offer its customers a free vaccine shot right outside its bar — followed by a free shot of booze inside. The Dragon’s Den, on the city’s famed Frenchmen Street, is partnering with the Crescentcare health clinic to give out the Johnson & Johnson vaccine on Friday night.

27 Likes

Love it! They should implement that at the drive-thru clinics!

5 Likes

I’d go for that except the “inside” part–you don’t reach even 50% efficacy until 2 weeks after the first shot. Doesn’t nawlins permit walking around with drink in hand, or is that only during mardi gras and march madness and the superbowl and the world series and…

6 Likes

Close the fucking bars, and then ask again.

12 Likes

They should get more Hydroxychloroquine

7 Likes

Well Tarrant Co just announced that it has gone through and vaccinated its entire registry and now people who want appointments will get them in 24 to 48 hours.

Our numbers have been going in the right direction. I see no reason why more vaccine shouldn’t get sent where it is most needed.

13 Likes

Frankly, on the pandemic, couldn’t care much less about this or that political intrigue.

Biden’s made an egalitarian approach to distribution a key point of it, that doses are getting out based on the population of the area as they come available.

Mucking that up now would just lead to a surge to States who are behaving badly, at the direct expense of other States who haven’t.

Wouldn’t be right to tell people that they’ve got to wait months more because State X or Y who decided to open everything up and is a hotspot is now the priority.

6 Likes

Makes sense to me, the question is whether the locals take advantage of it.

2 Likes

They should get more Hydroxychloroquine

5 Likes

Close the bars, and then revisit this question.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available