Senate Republicans Are Mad They Got Forced To Vote Down A Border Bill That They Like Again

The reason that Sen. James Lankford (R-OK) is mad today is very convoluted, so bear with me.

A few months back, Lankford was one of the few Senate Republicans willing to publicly criticize his colleagues for killing a bipartisan immigration bill that he helped negotiate and that would’ve tightened security measures at the border, among other things. It was killed at Donald Trump’s demand.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1490445
1 Like

‘See, we want to do border security and those rascally Republicans don’t want to do it,’ which is absolutely absurd,” Lankford (R-Okla.) told Newsmax Thursday.

Yes, it’s absolutely absurd, all right; it’s absolutely absurd that Senator Lankford wants us to believe that it’s not true. It’s also absurd that the majority of the Senate GOP are spineless jellyfish.

38 Likes

it’s a pure messaging vote and a fundraising piece for Democrats to be able to run out and say, ‘See, we want to do border security and those rascally Republicans don’t want to do it,’ which is absolutely absurd

The truth is really, really painful, isn’t it?

24 Likes

The Republican party is a hot, f_ckin’ mess!

14 Likes

He’s super mad that he had to vote against the bill he helped negotiate:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4682181-senate-downs-border-bill/mlite/

In a widely expected outcome, senators voted 43-50 to take down the proposal, which was negotiated over the fall and winter by Sens. James Lankford (R-Okla.), Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) and Kyrsten Sinema (I-Ariz.). The bill lost support compared to the previous vote in February, which fell in a 49-50 tally.

Headlining those who flipped their votes this time around was Lankford, who was the lead GOP member throughout negotiations before the border bill met an unceremonious death.

Lay down with MAGA, wake up without your dignity, Senator Lankford.

34 Likes

14 Likes

A nonmale coward forced you to vote down a border bill?
Put on your big boy pants and vote what is right.

7 Likes

I’m not a fan of it my self but if it’s good enough for the goose don’t be surprised when you get it rammed down your own throat lá Foie gras

7 Likes

“We need to get together, stop the politics and the messaging and the Democrat fundraising emails that are going out on this, and let’s actually solve the problem,” Lankford said.

Cry me a river…

16 Likes

“We need to get together, stop the politics and the messaging and the Democrat fundraising emails that are going out on this, and let’s actually solve the problem,” Lankford said.

Then, Jim … this is going to get a bit complicated, so try to stay with me here … if there’s a bill that you and your party like, one that you even helped to create, one that you think would be good for the country, then how about you VOTE FOR THE FECKING BILL ALREADY instead of going around huffing and puffing like some character from an over-dramatic soap opera?

34 Likes

Might be nice if he led the way, instead of complaining it.

What were his words again?

stop the politics and the messaging and the Democrat fundraising emails that are going out on this, and let’s actually solve the problem

Why wait for someone else to do it?

15 Likes

Lankford pissed that those mean Democrats “forced” him to vote against his own bill.

What a pathetic shit-weasel.

27 Likes

He coulda voted ‘present’ and not put his truth out on the bill.

Couldn’t even do that.

14 Likes

That he can’t bring himself to vote for his own bill shows what a worthless douchbag he is.

That he then cries like a baby in the media about “stopping the politics and the messaging” underscores his asshattery.

27 Likes

But the J6 Capitol stormers are innocent tourists being hounded by vengeful prosecutors.

14 Likes

My intuition keeps telling me these folks are in more trouble than the popular press seems to see. They are hanging on the word and blessing of one man, seeing him as their only real way to maintain their status quo. It must be horrible to have to be that type of person and get up in the morning to do the people’s business. What happens if Trump stepped or passed away? Where do you think they will be then?

15 Likes

How many times have the current Republicans in the House passed messaging bills? A heck of a lot more then valid attempts at really helping the US. I remember from last January 19, 2024. . .

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4416909-trump-takes-on-mcconnell-senate-gop-on-border-package/

McConnell is telling his Senate GOP colleagues that they have their best chance now to secure the border. He predicts that even if Republicans capture the White House and Senate and keep the House in November’s election, Democrats would block any efforts to move border security reform through the Senate in 2025 and beyond.

He believes Senate Democrats would have little incentive to agree to any reforms if shut out of power and would use the Senate rules to block legislation.

“One of the things I keep reminding my members is if we had a 100-percent Republican government — president, House, Senate — we would probably not get a single Democratic vote” for border security reform, McConnell said.

“This is a unique opportunity to accomplish something in divided government,” he said.

Thune echoed McConnell’s analysis that Republicans won’t be able to pass a stronger border security package next year, even if Trump wins the election.

“The Democrats will not give us anything close to this if we have to get 60 votes in the United States [Senate] in a Republican majority. We have a unique opportunity here,” he declared.

They were correct, this time fewer Democrats voted for it.

8 Likes

26 Likes

‘See, we want to do border security and those rascally Republicans don’t want to do it,’ which is absolutely absurd,” Lankford (R-Okla.) told Newsmax Thursday.

Yep. It’s absolutely absurd - but it’s absolutely true.

8 Likes

This. I can’t see how this election can turn out well for these chickenshit pants pissing cowards.

10 Likes