Senate Judiciary Previews Battle Over Barrett’s Confirmation

Barrett is a perfectly legitimate nominee. The Gorsuch shit was the aberration. Barrtett was nominated by the sitting POTUS as the Constitution allows and will be confirmed by the Senate as the Constitution requires. It was Gorsuch that was an illegitimate nominee. That nomination did not change the Constitution. Mitch’s behavior was an abomination but he knew he could get away with it. The MSM was more than willing to spew his “let the American people decide” and I saw very little in the media that pointed out they had. They voted for Obama and it was his call. Not too much about the 180 here either.

6 Likes

You are not wrong. If it was Thurgood Marsall, the “process”, as McConnell is running, is dishonest and blatantly unfair.

7 Likes

The problem is that she’s qualified and has less overall baggage than Kavanaugh did. She’ll sail through the Senate hearing in about a day. The Democrats can ask her a few embarrassing questions, but not much else. Also, if the Democrats push too hard on this, it might backfire.

This is a done deal folks. We need to concentrate on getting rid of Trump and as many Republican Senators as possible. Distractions won’t help us.

3 Likes

That would be a very unwise choice inviting Trump and his shills to paint the Dems as cowards. I am not suggesting personal assaults against Judge Barret as was done unproductively against Kavenaugh, but her professional record and writings are fair game.

3 Likes

Yes she does. From Terry H. Schwadron at Raw Story:

“Faced with two plausible readings of a law, fact, or precedent, Barrett always seems to choose the harsher, stingier interpretation. Can job applicants sue employers whose policies have a disproportionately deleterious impact on older people? Barrett said no.Should courts halt the deportation of an immigrant who faced torture at home? Barrett said no. Should they protect refugees denied asylum on the basis of xenophobic prejudice? Barrett said no. Should they shield prisoners from unjustified violence by correctional officers? Barrett said no. Should minors be allowed to terminate a pregnancy without telling their parents if a judge has found that they’re mature enough to make the decision? Barrett said no. Should women be permitted to obtain an abortion upon discovering a severe fetal abnormality? Barrett said no.”

Now she has a more powerful position to say no from.

12 Likes

Some asshats on the left have been questioning her adopting children from Haiti. You can’t do that. It’s a sure fire way to cause a lot of problems.
I have my opinion on her beliefs etc but I’m not a public person. If the Dems do, forget about it. See ya in 2024 (hopefully).

5 Likes

Wow. Custom-made for a sadist like Trump.

3 Likes

What is wrong with adopting kids from Haiti?

We’ll pencil her in after have-a-beer and gormless.

Trump doing a press conference. Same shit so far.

1 Like

I say boycott the hearings. She’s not going to give definite answers on her future opinions and is going to claim justices are only supposed to call balls and strikes. The whole process is based on a broken promise the GOP made to legitimize their power grab.

Only time Dems should show up is to invoke rules that would slow the process down like the 2 hour limit for Committee meetings.

1 Like

Look on the bright side, if morBotus had nominated Barrett instead of have-a-beer, Collins would likely be keeping her senate seat. I thought at the time she was the obvious choice.

I for one would like to hear what she has to say about her past statements, and her beliefs.

2 Likes

I didn’t say I was.

From the Daily Beast Insider article

John Lee Brougher, a veteran Democratic operative who was adopted, tweeted that he needs to know “more about the circumstances of how Amy Coney Barrett came to adopt her children, and the treatment of them since.” The “treatment” of her adopted kids?? (That tweet was later deleted.)

By definition, the Legislative and Executive branches are political. In contrast, the Judiciary and certain institutions such as the Central Bank (Federal Reserve), must be independent. The reason for this is credibility. As Barrett is a law professor, and this is a very basic concept, the only real question is how much her appointment further erodes the credibility of Supreme Court rulings. Ethically, she should have agree to a confirmation process conforming to usual practice. It is part of professional canon. The economic research literature on central bank independence shows fairly conclusively that a central bank free from political influence achieves better economic outcomes for the country as a whole. Similarly, judicial independence has long been seen as essential to getting good outcomes for society in general. The independence of SCOTUS is suspect from time to time. Sometimes, as in Salyer Land Co v.Tulare Lake Basin Water Storage District (malproportioned voting) the issue is so narrow that it is not seen to threaten social order, but it erodes credibility nevertheless. A better parallel for what is happening, because it is so far outside the norm, is the purging of the Turkey’s Supreme Court
last year.

And God Bless the New York Times for publishing Trump’s tax returns! At least one institution is still independent.

6 Likes

Best lead sentence ever.

Donald J. Trump paid $750 in federal income taxes the year he won the presidency. In his first year in the White House, he paid another $750.

4 Likes

Nothing, and I applaud the Barretts for their generosity, but it is irrelevant to her fitness for the supreme bench. I think garrybee may be suggesting that some idiots might try to make an issue of it, and that would be very counterproductive.

3 Likes

Someone should tell him that the NYT just released details of his tax returns, and see what he does…

6 Likes

Anything about her that deserves praise should receive it if criticism of her is to be seen as legit. If folks just hack at everything the argument is lost.

1 Like

I had to leave before he answered all the questions at the end of his propaganda session. Seems he’s not getting very tough questions anymore.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available