Senate High Fives Itself On Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill. But What’s Next? | Talking Points Memo

McConnell said he was “happy” to vote to advance the bipartisan infrastructure bill

He was against it before he was for it before he’ll be against it again.

forward toward what he wanted to see a “robust” floor process.

A replay of the “robust” floor process for the ACA where the GOP proposed literally hundreds of amendments, the Democrats accepted many of them, and 100% of the GOP then voted “No” to show their appreciation for the results of bipartisanship.

4 Likes

Under the weak leadership of Mitch McConnell…

“…that I enabled by convincing Georgia Republicans it wasn’t worth voting in the run-off.”

3 Likes

And Donnie weighs in on the infrastructure bill. I say “Let’s have a Who Cares? vote on what Donnie thinks.”

5 Likes

Yeah, they need to get something done before the Select Committee to Investigate the Jan 6 Insurrection starts making bigger inroads into the country’s political landscapers. Otherwise, folks ain’t going to be caring as much about what Senators are doing in Washington while the GOP scrambles to distance itself from… itself.

4 Likes

As I recall, McConnell was Ok with Trump’s election fraud nonsense because of the Georgia Senate run-offs. He believed that he needed Trump to win them. Trump lost those seats.

9 Likes

It’s kind of amazing that Donnie is sitting there impotently screaming about passing an infrastructure bill when he would have given his right … whatever … to have done the same.

2 Likes

republicans eating their young - you gotta love it.

2 Likes

The level of concern McConnell has for governing to deliver needed items for the American people:

If that concern was placed on the head of a pin, it would be proportionate to a BB placed in the middle of a four-lane highway.

5 Likes

When you go for John McCain but only succeed in emulating Marie Antoinette.

2 Likes

Trump refused to negotiate for an infrastructure package that’s why he got nothing. He had a tantrum about investigations of him and his administration and walked away.

Trump is reportedly upset that the Senate is poised to pass an infrastructure deal — something he repeatedly failed to do while in office.

3 Likes

Rump ranted “No deal is better than a bad deal”

In Rump-speak, “a bad deal, very bad deal” means he doesn’t get to share credit.

When he claims “other people say…” he is referring to the voices inside his head.

5 Likes

Piker.

2 Likes

The 67 vote result was far better than most predicted for the bipartisan bill. Both Manchin and Sinema will vote for the budget resolution, the outline for the reconciliation bill, at 3.5T. They may claim a pound of flesh, but the budget resolution w/reconciliation instructions will pass the Senate.

There are many exciting things about both bills. On the reconciliation side, the prospect of lowering medicare eligibility to age 60, immigration reform for 8 mill undocumented folks and extending the ACA subsidies are among the game changing highlights.

20 Likes

Warren isn’t thrilled at Sinema’s comments and neither am I.

Josh’s editor’s blog this morning to the effect that Sinema is essentially posing and her comments ultimately not serious kinda triggered me. The woman seems unserious and out of her depth in the Senate, true, but there is an underlying strangeness that bodes ill if whatever is driving her remains unsatisfied. An excerpt from a comment on Daily Kos captures some of this impression:

… I have been slammed by other women for daring to criticize her clothing. But guess what? Her stupid wigs and unprofessional and ill fitting cartoon clothes were sending at signal that truly tells us who she is. I say this as someone who has used fashion as a I don’t fit in statement since I was a kid. I understand what she is doing with her clothes and it is not a good thing. [emphasis not in orginal]

I am really going to be glad when this infrastructure week deal is reasonably intact and done.

15 Likes

Exactly. I think Mitch’s vote here was a deliberate middle finger to one specific person and says nothing about how he will vote later.

7 Likes

Also his pick in Texas special election this week didn’t win either.

8 Likes

He also bashed Democrats’ $3.5 trillion reconciliation bill as a “reckless taxing and spending spree.”

Let’s do a serious cost-benefit comparison of the reconciliation’s “reckless taxing and spending spree” and the GOP 2017 “reckless untaxing and spending spree.”

7 Likes

“I have also made clear that while I will support beginning this process, I do not support a bill that costs $3.5 trillion — and in the coming months, I will work in good faith to develop this legislation with my colleagues and the administration to strengthen Arizona’s economy and help Arizona’s everyday families get ahead,” Sinema said in a statement yesterday.

7 Likes

Yeah that was a quite a blow to him and his inner circle apparently. Some king maker - has he crowned one yet? He lost them Georgia and his candidates aren’t doing so well despite everything.

10 Likes

Trump continues to descend into irrelevance. Long may he stay there.

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available