Senate High Fives Itself On Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill. But What’s Next? | Talking Points Memo

Hours after the bipartisan group of senators behind the “hard” infrastructure package announced that a deal had been reached following months of negotiations and handwringing, the Senate voted to open debate on the bill on Wednesday evening.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1382798
1 Like

Yertle is seeing the 2022 polling on the wall

18 Likes

After four years, we FINALLY have a President who knows how to have

"Infrastructure Week"

25 Likes

Yes. And/But: Conspicuous in their absence from the list of GOPers who voted with the Dems are those who think they have a shot at the party’s nomination for President (read: those who want/need to have Trump’s approval). Cruz, Cotton, just off the top of my head.

7 Likes

My speculation is more that McConnell needs a distraction for the media from the House Jan 6th committee. The testimony so far is devastating for the GOP. Getting Democrats and the media talking about the ‘great bipartisan’ infrastructure bill is a useful distraction.

16 Likes

“There’s a new sheriff in town…”

7 Likes

Good now let’s go! Get this thing done.

7 Likes

But it won’t work. The Committee is too smart (i.e., Speaker Pelosi et al.) and has announced the areas they will investigate (Representative Cheney publicly took care of that quite nicely). The infrastructure bills (plural) cannot be used as a bargaining chip to force the Democrats to slow down the Jan 6th Committee’s work by threatening to end the bipartisan support of the bill - if so, the Dems just follow through on their own and publicly and openly expose the Republican’s playbook. Time to pay the piper.

12 Likes

None of them have any shot unless Trump gets indicted. He will destroy anybody who so much as interviews a potential campaign manager. And I’m not even convinced that he’s going to run again. I think it’s entirely possible that he’ll wait until the very last minute before the first filing deadlines to announce that he’s not running because the Democrats will just steal the election from him again.

24 Likes

I didn’t say it was a smart move by the GOP or would be successful.

However, its the type of thing a flailing party would do to try to stem the damage.

4 Likes

“Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) announced she didn’t support the $3.5 trillion budget reconciliation plan – where most of the Biden agenda is housed.”

Ms. Cinema: “All right, Mr. McConnell, I’m ready for my closeup now.”

26 Likes

McConnell seems TOO accommodating…I’m suspicious.

7 Likes

I missed it if it was in the recap yesterday - who didn’t vote since it totals 99?

1 Like

I believe you are correct, he wants to get revenge and cause pain to anyone he perceives as not being totally subservient to him. He is in a position to do more damage to the GOP than anyone and I doubt he will be able to resist doing it. He revels in causing pain in others and there isn’t much he can do to the Dems so the GOP is the likely target.

13 Likes

Someone with superb video editing skills needs to morph Norma Desmond’s hand gesture into a perky thumbs down.

3 Likes

McConnell is part of a Crew…and very evil part, to be sure…but he is also in a much worse position than October 2020.

6 Likes

McConnell lost these? I don’t recall him making the endorsements in these races…

“Under the weak leadership of Mitch McConnell, Senate Republicans continue to lose,” Trump said in a statement. “He lost Arizona, he lost Georgia,

5 Likes

Right on time:

“Under the weak leadership of Mitch McConnell, Senate Republicans continue to lose,” Trump said in a statement. “He lost Arizona, he lost Georgia, he ignored Election Fraud and he doesn’t fight. Now he’s giving Democrats everything they want and getting nothing in return.”

You hate to see it.

(On the other hand, it’s admission that they lost Arizona and Georgia. Baby steps, Donnie.)

10 Likes

Mitch needs something that makes the Republican party look like a salvageable governing party. He has that now, so the question becomes are they just going to gum up the debate session and continue delaying as much as possible, or does he want more ‘reasonable Republican’ credit that he doesn’t deserve, but will receive in droves?

2 Likes

Maybe every Republican senator knows that Trump lost Georgia with his psychotic election clowning. They just won’t say it out loud.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available