Senate Creeps Close To Soft End Of Week Reconciliation ‘Deadline’ | Talking Points Memo

“Manchin Now Says He Offered To Become An Independent Who Caucuses With Democrats; Dems Weren’t Having It”

And if you think Sinema isn’t making the same threats in order to throw her weight around, you’re a fucking dumbass. It’s the entire cornerstone of their leverage and power. OF COURSE they’re tossing it out there to threaten the rest of the party.

2 Likes

“It’s Not Just Sinema: Menendez May Also Oppose Medicare Drug Pricing Provision”

“The State is home to 14 of the world’s 20 largest pharmaceutical companies, including Novartis, Merck & Co., Johnson & Johnson, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Novo Nordisk and Bayer Healthcare.”

5 Likes

New Jersey is home to Janssen, Merck, Lilly, Novartis, and about a dozen other pharmaceutical companies. Ams we wonder why Menendez might be opposed to Medicare negotiating drug prices.

5 Likes

OT, but learn something new every day…this woman’s work strikes me as profound…

Look at it all, the volume of it and what it represents. Fuck…

6 Likes

The GQP fully controls AZ state government so it would be trivial for them to change the law to be able to appoint a Republican instead. I would fully expect them to do so to regain control of the Senate.

5 Likes

" he had floated the idea of becoming an independent who caucuses with Democrats if his party members find his centrist positions too “embarrassing.”"

In other words, he threatened everyone to try to get his way.

from Imgflip Meme Generator

SCARY, but I am sure you are correct, that it would get around the very loosely worded AZ replacement rules.

2 Likes

Rep. Jim Jordan loses it during Merrick Garland's testimony because Democrats blocked him from violating the rules by trying to show a propaganda video. Chairman Nadler noted that Jordan tried this same stunt last year, " There is such a rule, you were told last year. " pic.twitter.com/HcdPKV6B1Q

— Sarah Reese Jones (@PoliticusSarah) October 21, 2021
18 Likes

So, from “it’s bullshit” yesterday to “it’s true” today?

If that doesn’t describe the past few months of Manchin “negotiating”, nothing does

3 Likes

He’s my Senator and I’ve voted for him 3 times (slim pickins) but he’s a serious creep who knows who owns him.

8 Likes

allowing Medicare to negotiate with drug companies.

The GOP, champions of free market enterprise, announce its 100% support of allowing Medicare to negotiate prices. “A free market economy only exists where prices are determined by the laws of supply and demand, a market where prices are set between the buyer and the seller.” said no Republican in recent memory.

7 Likes

So she’ll just formally switch parties, then resign.

I wouldn’t put it past her, frankly.

I am convinced, also, that she has no intention of running for re-election, and I don’t doubt she’s the kind who would want to leave a parting gift, the political equivalent of a burning bag of dogshit on the D’s front porch.

3 Likes

“I think anytime you get into stuff that’s not proven in the tax code, it becomes dangerous,”

So the only changes you can make to the Internal Revenue Code are changes that have already been proven, i.e., changes that don’t change the Code.

3 Likes

““I think anytime you get into stuff that’s not proven in the tax code, it becomes dangerous,” Tester told reporters.”

Yep…can’t try new things or you might accidentally find something that actually works…

3 Likes

Speaking to reporters, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) said it shouldn’t be difficult for Democrats to agree that it’s time for billionaires and giant corporations to pay their fair share in taxes that would help fund the reconciliation package.

Obviously she hasn’t spoken to Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) or her billionaire owners.

3 Likes

So what is the big deal with “Medicare” negotiating drug prices? Medicare doesn’t cover drugs. At all! Is there a plan to permit Medicare to provide drug coverage?

And don’t tell me about “Part D.” That’s private, individual insurance, and NOT “Medicare.”

"I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”…MLK, Letter from Birmingham Jail

Chew on that Sinema and Manchin. Then, kindly go fuck yourselves, because BBB is as much about racial justice as it is about economic justice. The two are inextricably linked.

6 Likes

Today, Manchin explained some of what might be going on here. He denied that he planned to switch parties, but said that he had floated the idea of becoming an independent who caucuses with Democrats if his party members find his centrist positions too “embarrassing.”

It’s worth noting that becoming an independent (and quite possibly still caucusing with Dems) is exactly what MJ reported in the story yesterday that he called “bullshit”.

Also, IMO this would be a massive boost to both Democrats and Manchin’s own chances for re-election. He’s overwhelmingly despised by Dem-leaning voters outside WV, and being the one to block everything means it gets tagged in the media as “Democrats fail to agree”. And the D label is pretty toxic in WV so it would probably help with whatever he does to get re-elected.

1 Like

More on what Sinema and Manchin are doing to Biden and their own party…

5 Likes

There’s no freedom w/o economic freedom.

And then there’s the .modern day absurdity of working fulltime while living in poverty.

All the different shades of “freedom.”

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available