Senate Creeps Close To Soft End Of Week Reconciliation ‘Deadline’ | Talking Points Memo

Well, so long as McDonald’s French fries don’t get touched, we should all be thankful.

I think you raise a good point about a fair number of major corporations paying no federal tax while, at the same time, reporting enormous profits to their stockholders. I guess, theoretically, we could solve the problem by simply requiring that every corporation pay tax on the profits it reports to their stockholders… and be done with it. They could use a postcard to pay their taxes. But, of course, for every simple solution there is a sophisticated workaround.

In today’s Congressional environment, the Democrats are going to have to find cash to extract from corporate coffers or they won’t get a bill. So, my suggestion is that they do so, and I think there are ways to do it. Others want to throw up their hands or retreat to cynicism. I worked for decades at the intersection of politics and policy in Washington… and I am an unreconstructed advocate of trying to find practical solutions for an enormously diverse continental country. And then going to the people to make your case in elections. I know a lot of people don’t believe in that, and I well-understand their reasons why.

13 Likes

Because donors like Bill Gates would know what kind of person she is, and wouldn’t trust her to follow through after banking the donation. Would you trust her?

Her current pharma and other big corporate donors are at least throwing money at the way her weathervane is currently pointing, not trying to change it.

7 Likes

…same party as the senator being replaced, according to the article. Of course, that’s only until a special election, but still, it would be all kinds of improvement over Sinema.

6 Likes

OT, but this is why we’re losing the messaging war…

" Biden’s stimulus plan fueling inflation surge, San Francisco Fed analysis shows

Dems’ stimulus plan unlikely to have long-term effect on inflation"

Doublethink at its finest.

8 Likes

All of this drama was never anything more than attention grabbing political brinksmanship. No Democrat could possibly benefit from scuttling this bill, so why would they?

2 Likes

OT, but this asshole again…

12 Likes

I understand that but if the intent from the beginning was to whittle it down, there’s no good reason why it took so long to get where we are. I suspect that the intent was to gut/kill the reconciliation package and get only the BIF bill passed.

6 Likes

Except that this kind of nonsense is how major legislation is created because of the intransigence of the Senate GQP.

8 Likes

On today’s episode of “The Great Replacement with Exalted Cyclops Carlson” we’re treated to more incitement of the incoming violence…

4 Likes

Check out when the Senate’s actually been in town. It’s a surprise that they’ve accrued enough work days to pass anything.
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/2021_schedule.htm

9 Likes

The Senate Creeps are Joe Manchin and Krusty Enema.

4 Likes

Democrats are struggling because neoliberals refuse to give up the ghost and get on board with what the people actually want.

5 Likes

This idiot is so full of shit I can smell him in Arkansas.

9 Likes

It’s all about MESSAGING people. Democrats suck at it.

5 Likes

Krusty Enema is too stupid to know she’s stupid.

4 Likes

No, they’re struggling because they’re failing to message while the GQP demagogues like champs. Most people haven’t a fucking clue what’s in the package and what’s being proposed and debated. They just know “it can’t be good if it’s causing all this fuss and members of their own party won’t support it.” Then insert whatever else Faux News and the far right media and MSM have slathered on top in their effort to kill it on behalf of the oligarchy they either belong to or wish to have access to and cuddle up with.

4 Likes

We are going to get the pieces of Legislation and the Voting Rights. There is a chance that we might not, but I doubt it.

9 Likes

Well! Hats off to the veterans resigning en mass and taking a proper dump on Sinema just reported!!!:+1:

6 Likes

Obviously Gym Jordan could resign his current seat, whisk down to Arizona, register as a Democrat and, voila, you have your new AZ Senator.

Easy Peasy.

1 Like

Joe Manchin said he offered to leave the Democratic Party if he was ever an "embarrassment."

Would Manchin be willing to leave the planet?

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available